apc power conditioners - any good?

LeftCoast
LeftCoast Posts: 406
edited December 2018 in Electronics
Someone is selling a bunch of electronics at a cheap price including that power conditioner, a denon 4311 avr, and an older projector I've never heard of - Vidikron which is thx certified. Also a few things by a brand called Creston.

Anyone have any knowledge they can share?

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Creston makes guitars. Crestron made decent video switchers 15-20 years ago.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I wouldn’t buy a used power conditioner, unless I knew and trusted the person selling it. Even then I would probably put it on gear that I really didn’t value too much. Those MOV’s go bad over time, 10 years or so is about the end of life.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @LeftCoast

Do you rent or own? If you own, install a whole home surge protector. Then ALL your outlets are protected.

Mine cost about 115, and it seemed easy enough to install, but I got lucky and @lightman1 was around to make sure it got installed right and I didn’t fudge it up....

But I’d bet it cost you less than an hour of labor for a electrician to install if you weren’t comfortable with it like me....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I had a whole home surge protector installed about 6-8 months ago. I had been wanting to do it for several years, but had never got around to doing it.

With my sim racing cockpit and the electronics and computer in it and my audio equipment, I decided I had waited long enough to do it. We get a lot of thunderstorms in the DFW area so it just made sense to do it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    lightman1 wrote: »
    @LeftCoast

Do you rent or own? If you own, install a whole home surge protector. Then ALL your outlets are protected.

Mine cost about 115, and it seemed easy enough to install, but I got lucky and @lightman1 was around to make sure it got installed right and I didn’t fudge it up....

But I’d bet it cost you less than an hour of labor for a electrician to install if you weren’t comfortable with it like me....
    You didn't install it. You watched and over engineered a 10 minute project as I brandished a flathead screwdriver toward you.

Exactly what I said :wink: ..... you told me “Hold my beer youngster”.... and so I did :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    As far as the question on your thread title goes, I have an APC and it's been just a peach. It does what it's supposed to do and still does, after almost 7 years...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    smglbrth wrote: »
    As far as the question on your thread title goes, I have an APC and it's been just a peach. It does what it's supposed to do and still does, after almost 7 years...
    ditto on the APC (H15) and that AVR can’t be bad for a modest startup HT if soeakers are an easy load.

I plan to follow endershadow, er, lightman well whoever and DIY a separate breaker panel when I move the system to another room. Further I’ll save the beer after completion

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work