Marantz SA-KI Ruby

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It may just be the OCD in me but I would be bugged by the right output being just a hair off center-line from the left output. But again, it’s probably just my own OCD.
    I wear glasses but even I can see the right audio output isn’t dead to nuts centered on the silk screened line like the left one is.

Any perceived flaws or misalignment are likely an artifact of my phone's camera. I thoroughly looked it over when I was taking the photos and everything looks perfect in person.

I'd take it off the rack and take more photos of the rear RCA jacks for you but I'm not moving this 40 pound boat anchor for a while.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I'd take it off the rack and take more photos of the rear RCA jacks for you but I'm not moving this 40 pound boat anchor for a while.

I have seen many boat anchor, and that is not one. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Very nice, what a looker. How she sound bro ?
    where is the review?

At this time, I'm politely declining to make any commentary regarding it's performance, and deferring to a quote from Brock:

"I take my time reviewing a new piece of gear. You need to wait until the honeymoon period is over. Way too many rash judgments made off the cuff, positive and negative.

One needs to settle in with a new piece of gear for awhile before a truly balanced analysis can take place."
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I’m wondering, is that a real ruby in the signature? :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Good point about no balanced interconnection
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    For 4 grand I’d expect balanced outputs... but who gives a F!uvk. It doesn’t guarantee you better performance anyway.

The $7k SA-10 has balanced outputs. I guess they had to get the price for this one down to $4k somehow.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    He’s a young guy. He could swing that boat anchor all day.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    verb wrote: »
    So I’m wondering, is that a real ruby in the signature? :wink:

No idea, but it does have some dimension/cutting angles to it:

39cokm65oav5.jpg

2skcv5e7h8xh.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Dang i want one
  • mikeyb128
    edited December 2018
    you dudes are too serious into audio.

Edit: “ wink, wink” :)
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Dang i want one

When Russ finally proposes, maybe he will get you a ruby too...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It may just be the OCD in me but I would be bugged by the right output being just a hair off center-line from the left output. But again, it’s probably just my own OCD.
    I wear glasses but even I can see the right audio output isn’t dead to nuts centered on the silk screened line like the left one is.

Any perceived flaws or misalignment are likely an artifact of my phone's camera. I thoroughly looked it over when I was taking the photos and everything looks perfect in person.

I know you're going to look again otherwise you won't sleep tonight.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    edited December 2018
    Heh, nope, I'm good. I already know it's flawless. It's under it's plush dust cover for the night, resting nicely.

I was putting the cover on last night and my wife made a snarky comment like "Oh, are you tucking in your precious player for the evening?" :p

I bet she wishes she got that much attention. :smiley:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    I bet she wishes she got that much attention.

Haha! She definitely gets that and much more. Just celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary this October, been together for nearly 15 years total. Feels nice to have found "the one".

And I mean that literally, I truly think that she's the only person on the entire planet that would put up with my crazy ***.
  • mikeyb128

Haha! She definitely gets that and much more. Just celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary this October, been together for nearly 15 years total. Feels nice to have found "the one".

And I mean that literally, I truly think that she's the only person on the entire planet that would put up with my crazy ***.

Nice! I feel the same way man! She is totally fine with my audio purchases. But...... there may be a bit of fibbing on the actual purchase price! I hope you got a good deal on this piece my friend. Never pay full retail. Ever.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    How’s it sound out of the box? Hope you don’t go watch a movie... leave us hanging for weeks.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    I hope you got a good deal on this piece my friend.

I purchased the Ruby from AudioThesis who is an authorized Marantz dealer. I was happy to support our local forum vendor. Skip has given me incredible amounts of advice and support on my audio journey, regularly going way beyond the call of duty.

To say that he provides a high level of service is an understatement.
  • Clipdat
    How’s it sound out of the box? Hope you don’t go watch a movie... leave us hanging for weeks.

Regarding it's performance, I already addressed that a few posts up. :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

What? We do! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Looks nice, but I am curious about the motto on the box.

nl6bituvhxgd.jpg
    So, just out of curiosity, to what does the "40 years of passion" refer?
    Here's why I ask.

I mean, 40 years ago, the Marantz brand name belonged to Superscope and they were putting it on stuff like this.

11983714985_76554621c9_b.jpgscan0007 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

...and this ;)

10443951386_1086f129ee_b.jpg2600 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (so many knobs and buttons!)

I mean, when I think of Marantz and Passion, I think closer to sixty years ago, and this guy.

bcbv82ilj4g3.png

and equipment like this.

9612442175_d4349ea751_b.jpgMarantz8B by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    The KI Ruby CD players and integrated amps are special editions to celebrate Ken Ishiwata's 40th anniversary with Marantz.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Drew I hope you don’t mind me sharing this, but what I think is really cool is the fact that his curiosity on the US release numbers prompted him to deduct Mr Ishiwata's email, which he got correct, and not only got an answer back, but also seems like (Being deferential and showing tact) has developed a contact in Mr Ishiwata in which information has been shared which is not available to the public. This is cool because not only is Mr Ishiwata proud of his product, but also how many of us can say they have a direct line of communication with the developer of our end game pieces. Very very cool Drew.
    Kudos
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited December 2018
    2skcv5e7h8xh.jpg
    Congrats on the purchase, Drew! I'm so impressed by the Ruby on the front of yours that you've inspired me to buy a Bedazzler. I'm going to pimp-out my Marantz. We'll be twinzies!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Beautiful piece!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mdaudioguy
    Hermitism wrote: »
    2skcv5e7h8xh.jpg
    Congrats on the purchase, Drew! I'm so impressed by the Ruby on the front of yours that you've inspired me to buy a Bedazzler. I'm going to pimp-out my Marantz. We'll be twinzies!

Genius upgrade! Can I send mine to you??
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    2skcv5e7h8xh.jpg

Absolutely! I'd be happy to help out, just tell me what color gemstone you would like. Yellow, perhaps?

• mdaudioguy
    2skcv5e7h8xh.jpg

Absolutely! I'd be happy to help out, just tell me what color gemstone you would like. Yellow, perhaps?
    Tanzanite.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I’ll take one in sapphire please!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Was the cover optional? If so where can I get one? How does it fit, does it cover the backside with the IC's and power cord hooked up?

The cover is from www.digitaldeckcovers.com

It has a loose fit, slightly looser than I would have preferred but it makes for easy on and off. They have a "back flap" option to clear cables, that you can put into the order comments. Here are some additional photos:

bmv92iokmdlh.jpg
    7l0a474nwud5.jpg
    0mzrptwuf0wb.jpg
    oseqqmp39bcv.jpg

Did you chose the cover for the SA 15S1 or the CD6006, or did you give them your dimensions, I assume the SA 15S1 cover will fit my SA15S2, for 24.99 it's worth a shot, what fabric is yours there are quite a few to choose from?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2018
    2skcv5e7h8xh.jpg

Tanzanite.

Pimp daddy big baller there.

Dang i want one
    Dang i want one

When Russ finally proposes, maybe he will get you a ruby too...

I was referring to the cover John.
    Thank you very much :s:s