Merry Christmas 2 Me...

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Just to update... They arrived on the 24th and I unboxed them immediately. I found them to be all nicked and scratched up on the tops and a blue ink spot on the face of the right channel of the preamp. I contacted the seller and worked a deal for the damage that left us both happy and then proceeded to install them in my rig.

The phono preamp works perfectly, but the X0.2 is another story. Background hiss like you would hear between tracks on an LP with the volume cranked up was present even without a note being played and could be clearly heard at 12feet away. The volume knob rubs against the faceplate, and an audible "pop" occurs at every step up in volume. The hiss gets louder as you increase in db, until a setting of ten is reached, then it cut back to the same level it was at zero.

I am thinking the attenuator is no good and it likely needs to go to Pass for a rebuild at this point.

That said, I will be sending it back to the seller for a refund and keeping the phono-preamp. I have been very happy with the X1, so I will be keeping this one around for a long time to come.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Sorry to hear that. Send it back and get the refund.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Sorry to hear John.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Daggone...sorry to hear about that...man, you just can't catch a break.

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Sorry to hear John. Glad to see the seller is willing to work with you on this.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    It's unfortunate that you have to deal with these issues John. However, I'm glad that
    the seller is making a sincere effort to make things right with you.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2018
    It is on its way to Pass Labs... just got back from shipping it. Along with bringing back up to spec, they are also going to make it right (hopefully) cosmetically and have Mr. Pass and Mr. Colburn sign it.

I don’t know why, but for some reason I like my gear signed by the maker... makes spending that much coin feel better when it’s personal like that I guess.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018

I had a guy here that went to rub on this Bob Carver's signature on my 600x2 Sunfire amp one time.
    49cxvuw7acdm.png

NO! don't do that, I yelled out. He said MAN, relax. I said relax nothing. I don't want Bob's signature to be rubbed on, OK? OK he said as he backed away from it.

I then said, if you get something this nice with the designers' name hand signed on it, you just might feel the same way. He asked if it was expensive. I told him it was 4K when it was new. He then made this face :o .

I like limited edition stuff and also signed stuff and even pictures of me and a designer or artist together in person means a lot to me.

I fully know you're feelings about personalized items by the makers or designers. B)
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    John is there always some drama associated with your gear? Just wondering. :smile: Anyways glad things are gonna work out.

At least the Krell drama is over and done. I hope! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    PFB had drama. This is just a small issue in comparison.
  • nooshinjohn
    verb wrote: »
    John is there always some drama associated with your gear? Just wondering. :smile: Anyways glad things are gonna work out.

Now that the Krell is gone, things are taking a turn for the better. The buyer made let the best feedback I have ever received, and the previous owner of the Pass is a great guy as well.

That said, I don't think I will be making more changes for a very long time.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

Famous last words...

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471

Famous last words...

I give it 6 months after he gets it back if not before...
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2018
    Just gotta keep my eyes on the prize...
    xorp8rk1oxo1.jpg
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on