Pioneer being taken private

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,928
    If wireless power transmission continues to evolve, Lightman might finally get time to listen to his stash of gear.(in between sessions of chasing his goats around the field whilst wearing those ubiquitous a$$less chaps...)

Oh, he does.
    Here's an older photo, before his beard grew in.

df500qzqqggn.png
  • There is actually a craft to writing great music. Humans are not attracted craft. There conditioned to listen to formulaic drivel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII&t=437s
  • Short attention spans. Brain rot. Gravitation towards the simplistic and banal. End of story.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    Most people want a smart phone instead of a stereo system. ear buds or headphones instead of speakers. Society is mobile now. Move, move and more moves. Who wants to have a lot of big speakers when you're moving all the time. I wouldn't if all I had was a car and the speakers my friend brought over for me had to be hauled in his/her truck or big SUV. How does Trey do it?, I don't know. :D:o

You used to not be able to search the internet with your stereo system but the manufacturers have seen the future and what are they doing?, they putting the connectivity into home units. More and more every year. Even the TVs are connected to the universe of streaming content now and has been for quite a few years already.

But man this connectivity costs $$$ for now. Maybe before I pass I'll see the younger people listening to home systems with nice speakers instead of ear buds via their phones or streaming music.

Maybe most humans don't have the desire to feel music at home. They get those palpable feelings when they go out all the time to live venues or in their cars like my stepdaughter and wife do. Us older people didn't have the ability to visit band shows every weekend. Maybe once a month if we were in the big cities. And car makers gradually put better and better systems into cars until they are very impressive today now.

As long as Music Direct still shows up every year with the ton of GREAT things in it that are state of the art for home listeners, I'll be happy.

I have a ton of Pioneer Elite gear and I hope they, like another member here just said, regroup and put out some fine internet capable receivers and amps and get back into the mix of what newer patrons want nowadays.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • From someone that is the newer generation I think it also comes down to experience. I never experienced a good sound system until someone showed me and then I dove in. At almost 27 now (that feels weird to type) I have a dedicated room with a good stereo, got my wife into better audio and slowly my little one is coming into it as well.

Sure some of us branch out and find artists on our own but I remember growing up with my mom playing anything from the Pietasters (Ska Punk), to Garbage and Outkast. Turns out that is where my musical tastes started and branched out on their own.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    My parents listened to Country on those console stereos and they sounded pretty good too. My older brother always told me to " Listen to this! You're gonna like it" rock and roll songs.

Between the two influences, I came out pretty grounded and balanced. I think my brother also turned me onto soul and funk.

He turned me on to all the greats from 1965 to 75 for sure. B)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Well said Tony.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    My generation, the ninjas (no income, no jobs, no assets) are to busy trying to get ahead, pay off student debt and move out of moms basement.

In all seriousness, alot of my friends like audio but they are unwilling to invest those funds while they pay off college and are trying to find suitable jobs or simply have other priorities.

Music has also become very disposable and alot of folks don't really have the time or understanding of what it means to critically listen.

For me, I do little to support the audio industry, my entire system is composed of equipment that's 15 years old or more. That's perhaps a different discussion for a different day. But ultimately the price of higher end audio has gone crazy in the last 10 years. I would almost say some manufactures don't want the younger clientele
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    But ultimately the price of higher end audio has gone crazy in the last 10 years. I would almost say some manufactures don't want the younger clientele

Or they can read the tea leaves and know they better grab the cash that is still out there before the party comes to an end.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • 2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    edited December 2018

Speaker, play some classic rock. :o

That is cool by the way. B)

But In that whole ad it didn't say what the tweeters are made of or the woofer either. Nor the size of the woofer. But 10 lbs. and can hit a SPL of 101dbs, I wonder what it sounds like?

Oh yea, 400.00 can buy some GREAT normal Polk towers.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    ^^this is what audio is coming to, stuff like this. Younger people are migrating back to the cities, they are looking for space saving solutions that work and are relatively inexpensive.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    It all comes down to priorities, mobility, space, convenience and price.

If you are retired, you probably can't relate to these things, since you have all the time in the world to listen to music.

But for those who are in their prime working years, have families etc. what's important is everything that Trey and Motor have stated.

Getting a job has to take priority over EVERYTHING else! Then once you get one, you are probably spending more time on the road and in your office then you are at home, I use my headphones just as much as I listen to my system. Stay at home moms aren't much better, they are too busy shuttling their kids all over **** half acre for this, that and the other activity! Who has time to sit down and listen to music????

Apartments these days are small, so space is tight, so big/expensive speakers will just take up room that something more important could go in.

The name of the game these days is convenience. If you have a soundbar that lets you listen to to your tv, order dinner, or just listen to Spotify for some tunes, and takes up a lot less space, then for most people that's good enough.

As I have pointed out before, NOTHING stands still, and everything changes, The companies that will survive, will change right along with everyone else. You are free to sit down and listen to your system if you are lucky enough to have the time. But there is no need to berate the younger generations who are listening to their tunes the way that is best for them. So long as they are listening and enjoying, that is all that is important.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    cfrizz wrote: »
    It all comes down to priorities, mobility, space, convenience and price.

So long as they are listening and enjoying, that is all that is important.

Spot on GF!

However, I do think the elders should guide the younger folk toward audio nirvana (if the kids ready, willing and able)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Ten years down the road, all that will be left are soundbars and powered speakers doing streaming audio.

The rest of us will be old-farts clinging to our antique sound systems.

. . . I'm Jim Dandy With That
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    LeftCoast wrote: »
    There is actually a craft to writing great music. Humans are not attracted craft. Theyre conditioned to listen to formulaic drivel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII&t=437s
    Traditional* Christian Churches will argue the music** in Contemporary churches is bad. Contemporary churches will argue*** same message w/out the “church-y” sound & feel.
    * they’re divisive critics of ANYTHING different.
    ** and everything else.
    *** correctly so

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work