Various Tweeters: My Head is Exploding...

Options
Hi folks. New member, but longtime lurker.

I have a half dozen pairs of Polk 10s and 7s, of varying vintages. It seems like nearly every pair has a slightly different style of tweeter.

I've tried to study-up on all the tweeter posts, and think I grasp the issues around which is better, and which is not. But other than the original Peerless version, I'm not so good with identifying which is which, by SIGHT.

I've taken the liberty of stealing a few online images and putting them into this photo summary (attached). Can you confirm if my visual identification is correct? (Or advise as to my errors?) Thanks!!

usk6oopmvl7c.jpg

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Welcome, and nice post! Once this is confirmed and/or corrected, if necessary, this should probably be stickied, as often as it comes up... I don't know my vintage Polk tweeters, but I'm sure the experts here will chime in.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited December 2018
    Options
    You also need the RDO-198 new replacement. :)

Look up @darkknight's study on these tweeters. There's pics there too.

I do like your grouping though and labeling touch.

I think it looks identical to the RDO-194 though.

Are you concerned with any other style Polk tweeters used in newer home speakers?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorcityguy
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    Tony M wrote: »
    You also need the RDO-198 new replacement. :)
    I think it looks identical to the RDO-194 though.

Yes, that is my understanding as well. I was more concerned about identifying the original version, as (for me) that seems to be where most of the confusion is.

• Tony M
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Try this excellent @DarqueKnight" study ( thank you
    @mdaudioguy ). It's quite a good read and compares the old with the new replacements!

Take this new tweeter thing slow. There's no reason to overheat brain cells over these. You'll have it all figured out by Saturday. ;):)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182943/the-tale-of-5-tweeters-sda-tweeter-replacement-guide/p1
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Look up @darkknight's study on these tweeters.
    He's much classier than just d-a-r-k... He's @DarqueKnight!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Are the 2500s and the 194s the same? I thought they were. I know they look the same but do they have the same values also?

And I also thought the 3000 and the 198 were the same.
  • Tony M
    edited December 2018
    Options
    One model replaces the other with higher quality build AND sound but with similar electrical technical properties.

See @pitdogg2's post below. Short and to the point. ;)B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    edited December 2018
    Options
    2500/3000 take RD-0198

RD-0194 replaces sl2000 and sl1000
    Sl1000 has smaller faceplate and screw holes are off slightly from sl2000. The hole cut out are much different from each other as well because of the voice coil leads.

RD-194 is a drop in replacement for sl2000
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Hi folks. New member, but longtime lurker.

I have a half dozen pairs of Polk 10s and 7s, of varying vintages. It seems like nearly every pair has a slightly different style of tweeter.

I've tried to study-up on all the tweeter posts, and think I grasp the issues around which is better, and which is not. But other than the original Peerless version, I'm not so good with identifying which is which, by SIGHT.

I've taken the liberty of stealing a few online images and putting them into this photo summary (attached). Can you confirm if my visual identification is correct? (Or advise as to my errors?) Thanks!!

usk6oopmvl7c.jpg

That is not an SL3000, it's another SL2500 and yes I know where you got that picture. It's still wrong. The SL3000 came in either a silver tone (the most common), a gold tone or a black/chrome tone. Regardless, the ring around the outer edge always shows up as metallic looking in photos. The one in your pic is too black.

These are SL3000's.

u97ht2mfuvc1.jpg
    2s9mogolvrkm.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Welcome.

Yeah, sometimes it can be confusing but others are here to guide you and help spend your money..... B)
  • motorcityguy
    Options
    F1Nut, Thanks for the clarification! That's exactly the input I was looking for. As many have pointed out, there are a lot of mis-identified pictures out there!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    Oh, you forgot the ultra rare SL2370 tweeter. :D
    2hdya9iz6l51.jpg
  • motorcityguy
    Options
    Based on inputs from F1, I have updated my picture, and will repost below in case anyone wants to use it as reference. Thanks, all!
    w45j0dy1ejah.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited December 2018
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    2hdya9iz6l51.jpg

Now, don't be knockin' the [edit] AR-3a...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Welcome to the forum @motorcityguy ! Where in the Motor City area do you live? There's a few of us in the area. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorcityguy
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum @motorcityguy ! Where in the Motor City area do you live? There's a few of us in the area. :smile:

Thanks! I'm located about midway between Detroit and Flint. PM sent.

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    2hdya9iz6l51.jpg

HEY ! You stole my speakers !!!!kaf72ukygkva.jpg
    kn1680h9dsq0.jpg
    2g62u54zvact.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options