No mat on TT

OK I’m sure I’m going to get slapped by a lot of you guys, but I realized that with the stock VTA height on my new Rega table, the cartridge which is non-Rega, is just slightly taller than stock. Having the cork mat on there made things worse so I switched to the felt mat. The static was stupid when I did that. Then just for giggles I removed the mat completely and laid the record on the glass directly expecting all kinds of noise. This actually is working out fantastIc. Not sure why, but I’m getting zero static and I have no extra background noise. Anyone else have experienced similar to this? Any thoughts on why this seems to work the best. And just a side note, the sound from the cartridges that much better because of the VTA slight adjustment back to where it should be.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Not on glass, but I tried a crap record on the bare aluminum platter of my TriangleArt and experienced a similar result. I selected a carbon fiber mat shortly afterwards and it works very well
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very thin?
    Where from?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    TTW.... and it’s pretty thick. The company is out of business however.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Will this work with your table so you could use a mat in the future if you decide to try a mat again?
    605ldrz1bcw2.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    Yes tony. But I am gun shy with messing with my new table. Not sure if you know what led me to get that new table lol. Rather go this route with a thinner mat/ no mat
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    joecoulson wrote: »
    OK I’m sure I’m going to get slapped by a lot of you guys, but I realized that with the stock VTA height on my new Rega table, the cartridge which is non-Rega, is just slightly taller than stock. Having the cork mat on there made things worse so I switched to the felt mat. The static was stupid when I did that. Then just for giggles I removed the mat completely and laid the record on the glass directly expecting all kinds of noise. This actually is working out fantastIc. Not sure why, but I’m getting zero static and I have no extra background noise. Anyone else have experienced similar to this? Any thoughts on why this seems to work the best. And just a side note, the sound from the cartridges that much better because of the VTA slight adjustment back to where it should be.

With not much knowledge of vinyl yet I'd have to say it's because your VTA is where it should be now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    Definitely makes a huge difference having that tonearm slightly down rake vs the opposite with the thicker mat. Crisper highs and balanced sound.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2018
    The acrylic platter upgrade is pretty steep. $250?? Yet there are folks that prefer the glass platter with felt mat. Some like just the glass. YMMV

I use and like a carbon graphite mat. It has gone up in price from the time I got mine from Boston Audio Design.

http://www.boston-audio.com/mat1.html
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I'm not up to par on my TT experience but as soon I as I bought my TT I also purchased an acrylic platter. I read reviews and everyone was saying get one so I did and I must also admit I like the way it looks. Again some people here have cartridges more expensive than my whole TT set up but I enjoy what I hear but also know it could be better.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    I use a Delrin platter from Groovetracer on my RP3 and it works great without a mat. I never figured out why Rega would even include the felt mat. As the OP said the static is crazy.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited December 2018
    No mat on my Pro-Ject acrylic platter for me. When I was still using the stock platter with the felt mat, it would stick to the record when I took it off the table in the winter. No bueno!
  • joecoulson
    edited December 2018
    Yep ^ me too

I am convinced now - no mat is needed for my particular setup been playing records like mad since the Vincent arrived - sounds beautimus