Does anyone here do Amp repairs?

Options
Looking for someone that does amplifier repairs. I have 1 channel out on my NAD 906. Fuse blows as soon as I turn it on.

I'm in central FL. Local would be awesome!

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    Options
    Reach out to Legendary Amps, also in Florida. I have used them in the past to do a complete re-furb on a Yamaha M-80. Not sure if NAD is in their wheelhouse, but it doesn't hurt to enquire.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    There is a guy on CL that did the repair on my dad's TT, and I am going to have him fix a couple of receivers at some point. He did a great job, and it works perfectly.
    He also builds custom tube amplifiers and preamps, IIRC. I'll see if I can find him.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Any referral in Michigan or northern Ohio would be greatly appreciated.
    I’ve got a couple of older Adcoms that should be recapped before any issues arise
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mlistens03
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    There is a guy on CL that did the repair on my dad's TT, and I am going to have him fix a couple of receivers at some point. He did a great job, and it works perfectly.
    He also builds custom tube amplifiers and preamps, IIRC. I'll see if I can find him.

I couldn't find him, I'll have to ask my dad what his name was.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2018
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I’ve got a couple of older Adcoms that should be recapped before any issues arise

Got a good guy in Chicago:

storefront2.jpg

anthonyses.com/
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    GlennDog wrote: »

Got a good guy in Chicago:

Much appreciated . . .
    But I was just given good contact info on a "local-ish" guy
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    After you pay to get it fixed you will have a $200 amp Unless there is some sentimental value you might be better off taking the repair $$'s and put it toward something better.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    After you pay to get it fixed you will have a $200 amp Unless there is some sentimental value you might be better off taking the repair $$'s and put it toward something better.

Not sentimental, but I LOVE the way this amp sounds. I think it is certainly worth fixing, to me anyways.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options

Any chance you were able to find a name for me Micha?
  • mlistens03
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »

Any chance you were able to find a name for me Micha?

Yep, his name is Kris Rhoades, or Rhoads maybe? I'm not sure.
    Here is his website. http://fine-tuned.com/
    I can confirm that he also does custom tube amplifier builds... They looked really sweet. He did a great job on my dad's TT.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I could use a good guy myself in the Chicago NW burbs. City is just too far. Both my B&k amps have developed a higher pitch on the left channel and run hotter also on that side.

My guess is the Bias/DC offset is off. Already called a few shops with no luck. One can work on it, but has a 6 week turn around. Anyone with repair shop suggestions, shoot some over to me also. You Rockford guys have a vintage repair shop out that way, any good ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I could use a good guy myself in the Chicago NW burbs. City is just too far. Both my B&k amps have developed a higher pitch on the left channel and run hotter also on that side.

My guess is the Bias/DC offset is off. Already called a few shops with no luck. One can work on it, but has a 6 week turn around. Anyone with repair shop suggestions, shoot some over to me also. You Rockford guys have a vintage repair shop out that way, any good ?

Talk to @ALL212 Tony. He maybe able to assist you.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    I only blow up... I mean attempt to fix my own stuff but I got a guy close to Aurora that might work for you. Will try and remember to post his info when I get home.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Hey Tonyb, I know you mentioned that you do not like to go to the city, but I highly recommend Stereo Rehab in Chicago, the Edgewater area. I have had several items gone through by tech Casper. Just had a Scott ss 385r receiver that I bought for my son in his shop last week. Dropped it off Friday afternoon and picked it up Saturday afternoon. His turn around is not always that quick but I have gotten to know him and asked to have it ready for Christmas. He responded by having it done in 24 hrs. And I live 75 miles or so south of him, but I like his work and he is extremely knowledgeable. Just have to get used to his quirky personality.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Kyle Reeves. 917-428-6041. Blistabusta@hotmail.com
    Aurora, IL

He did the checkup on the Revox R2R and pretty much nailed it.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Stargate Electronics in Farmingdale, NY. is the last remaining B&K service center as far as I was told.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    My B&K ex-442 was running noticeably warmer on one side as well ....
    Had the offset and bias adjusted last spring - runs like a champ now ....

Bk

tonyb wrote: »

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO