Yet again saw these on C/L

Options
These I might be interested in for the right price. Again can you identify these because his description is a little confusing. I'm not touching them for the hundy posted I do have an e-mail out to him. Are the stands original also to Polk or just generic stands and the tweeters what are they exactly ? Thanks Lew
https://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-speakers-7a/6770104556.html
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited December 2018
    Options
    They're Peerless tweeters (and it looks like they have the Polk holes in the domes) and the speakers look, to me, like late(r) 7As. My 7As have the 'supervelcro' fittings for the grilles, rather than the pegs on the CL speakers. The CL drivers have the paper gaskets on the midwoofers, though.

Why not "for the hundy posted"? I'd say they're easily worth that if in good working order -- they look nice from the photos.

PS That quote from "the Polk Forums" looks like something I remember writing :|

EDIT:

for posterity :) these are the loudspeakers in question:

pzke5d9gxu14.png
    u3zv1fue7ukj.png

Looks like the back tag says "7A" to me...

782q65123ek1.png

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2018
    Options
    pzke5d9gxu14.png

Stands are, at the least, not "period correct" Polkstands. I am guessing they're third party/generic.

The vinyl on 'em is "rosewood" (we called it "orange" in those days) -- My 7As are rosewood... it's a pretty hideous finish, truth be told :/ (but, hey, mine were demos and they were cheap... and I was poor!)

:)

Here's a flash photo of one of my 7As for comparison/FWIW. The grey appearance of the surrounds is at least partly an artifact of the photoflash.

11208642076_3f7f8db8b1_b.jpgPolkmonitor7Asn4900 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Interestingly, mine don't have a gasket on the PR, but the CL speakers do. :|
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I would buy those if the cabinets are in good condition.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Since Doc neglected to use one of his favorite phrases above, I'll pick up the slack:

I'd opine that they are worth every bit of $100 if in acceptable cosmetic and working order. Particularly if you have a use for them!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Since Doc neglected to use one of his favorite phrases above, I'll pick up the slack:

I'd opine that they are worth every bit of $100 if in acceptable cosmetic and working order. Particularly if you have a use for them!

Heh, I (more or less) stated it as fact ;)
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Do I need them absolutely not. The dude himself in the ad says make an offer. I got my original 7s for $60 in much worse condition dog chewed corners and a shifted magnet on a driver. I have not heard back from the guy yet. Condition wise I think the thing mentioned was a beat binder in the back and that he believes they are from the 80s. If not hooked up and the price is right I could always bring a meter for continuity. I think it might be a moving situation and he doesn't want to shlepp them any more. Maybe he'll deal if close enough, I have no idea where he's from. Also I don't see any sun fade on any of the cabinets or bezel board....Thanks guys..... Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ... I think it might be a moving situation and he doesn't want to shlepp them any more... Lew

That's how I got my Cornwalls (for better or worse). ;)

They were a gateway back to vacuum tube hifi, so I guess, when all's said and done, it was a good thing. :p
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    The ad was a bit confusing. I think the straight on shot is of those speakers w/ the stands. That is the question to ask if he ever gets back in touch w/ me.

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Again you guys were right. It seems non of the pics are from their speakers. The wife did all the talking and refuses to either call or talk by phone. She did manage to say they are of the faux rosewood vinyl type and I don't think there are stands w/ them. It appears they might have sellers remorse w/ the very sparse mail. I told her get out their camera and shoot a bunch of pix showing all angles, backs w/ labels, any damage and the grills are missing the logos which if intact dosen't bother me all that much. She said she was going to retool the ad which I told was way to confusing and bit of bait and switch w/ not showing the actual speakers for sale.... Lew

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Just tell her you'd like to buy them then go look you can always walk away....
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Ad has been updated with actual pics, though only one grill-less shot. They look pretty good.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    They do look good and they took my words on to their ad. I'm not touching them for the hundy if they stick to that number. I also kinda told them they might not see a lot of action because it's the holiday season and most people buy new stuff. Somerset is about a half hour from me.

• leftwinger57
    Options
    I can't really slam them, I'll get nowhere that way. If they do sit a while they might come down. Again I do not need them but saying that, for the right price I would ditch my Advent Maestros for pretty good looking Polk 7a. I did just mail them to give them a thumbs up on the new ad and told them I was still interested.....Lew