bouncy floor what to do ?

Hey guys, I asked this question ages ago and I think Ken came up w/ the idea of using an inner tube as a buffer for my tt on my rack. My floor is light white oak on joists and near my rack is exceedingly bouncy effecting my turntable. The dudes over on AK wanted me to hang a shelf from the ceiling or build another shelf tied into the wall and both are just out of the question. The inner tube was $5.89 for an 18" tube at a bike place. I had it perfectly centered using a level on all sides. Now there is a sag in the tube and it's now uneven and I don't think it lost any air. What else is there out there that's cheap and will work. I rent so no building anything just something for my tt to stabilize it from the floor......Lew
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Try cork
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech

I use the EVA 2 x2 x 7/8, work like a charm. Take a black marker and cover the blue.
    Work especially well under the turntable. I had the same problem as you. YMMV, not much lost if ineffective.

Must let these things air out, very strong rubber smell. Takes at least a week to air out in the garage or basement.

I use these under all my equipment.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    edited December 2018
    If this isn't a 2nd floor apartment and you can get underneath the floor you could put a 4' to 6' girder with a 4x4 post to take the "moment" off some of the springy joists. If you're on the 2nd floor perhaps moving your rig to another part of the room where there's a load bearing wall underneath.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    All inner tubes will lose or gain air pressure due to temperature and humidity changes.

There are a multitude of isolation devices on the market, some cheap, some very expensive. Take a look for some in your budget.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited December 2018
    Sorbothane is very effective, but it will stain just about anything it touches, so use thin pieces of plastic between it and the objects it will be in contact with.

It's also a dust magnet.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Motorhead,I actually have those blue things. I hated the look of them and they just might make my tt a bit to high as it's on the top shelf of a 57" high Sanus rack. I guess I can get out my trusty can of flat black and spray 4 of them up. This would be very cost effective if not to high what's another 2 inches. Thanks for the info dudes...
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Just use a black magic marker. Works great, they just disappear no painting required.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• This is what the rack height is. This I believe is before using the inner tube.

• Another inch shouldn't matter? But yes that is a bit tallish.

The pads I use are 7/8" thick.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    This is what the rack height is. This I believe is before using the inner tube.

Is that a picture of your wife screaming at you or is that the TV?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2018
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech

I use the EVA 2 x2 x 7/8, work like a charm. Take a black marker and cover the blue.
    Work especially well under the turntable. I had the same problem as you. YMMV, not much lost if ineffective.

Must let these things air out, very strong rubber smell. Takes at least a week to air out in the garage or basement.

I use these under all my equipment.

Why cover the blue? It has panache.

st4rgntfdfva.png
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Doc, the blue will affect the resonace of the room. Ya know like those "kowabunga" pucks.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    IMO the absolute best TT isolation product, Gingko Cloud. Pricey, though I purchased mine used and saved. A handy fellow could make something similar. Add or remove balls to adjust for weight of table. Through placement you can shore up heavy side of a TT so it remains level.

My table with DIY plinth is around 50+ pounds. Footfalls, jump in front of rack, pound on rack, no problem.

2hkrqx3zdtlb.png
    2eam95k2h9rs.png

https://www.ginkgoaudio.com/product/cloud11r/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    edited December 2018
    [quote="SCompRacer; Add or remove balls

/[/quote]

Careful with the advise considering who the OP is...

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350

Careful with the advise considering who the OP is...

LOL wasn't thinking. I could have called them isolation spheres.....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • All goofing aside the blue blocks are in. If good enough for the doc and that airplane engine of a tt it's good enough for me. It's to early for a test drive so results will be yet determined.

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2018
    Not my tt -- heck, I don't like to spend as much on an automobile as a Fairchild 750 setup like that would cost, but, yeah, you got the point. The fact that someone who augments a Fairchild 750-2 tt in a slate plinth, Thomas Shick arm and Ortofon SPU cartridge with four of those little blocks is a great testament to their quality and appropriateness for the task.

The Fairchild 750 just may be the finest turntable ever made. Ever.
  • Hey doc there was an aircraft co called Fairchild Republic based on L. I. N.Y. Any relation to this tt co at all ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Aircraft

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2018
    Yes, indeed. Same "Fairchild". They were early leaders in semiconductors, too.
    He (Sherman Fairchild) was a heck of a guy -- founder of more than 70 companies, many extremely successful. What's Elon Musk got so far? Two? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Fairchild

Wikipedia sez:
    This article may lack focus or may be about more than one topic.
    Obviously the wiki doesn't understand Mr. Fairchild very well :p

gxf4bd2780rb.png

wjkmdosmok3r.png
    Hoagy Carmichael ticklin' the ivories at Fairchild's home.

• Great stuff. To be that diversified is amazing. I do know that they built the original P-47 Thunderbolt w/ 8 50cal machine guns. It just didn't have the range/ceiling of the Mustang which was a war winner. Much later they went on to build the tank buster A-10 Thunderbolt II w/ an awesome 30mm auto cannon firing depleted uranium rounds. I think Tesla is just a toy for Musk and Space X is his real concern w/ retrievable rockets and all.....

• F1nut
    The Fairchild 750 just may be the finest turntable ever made. Ever.

It's the ugliness.

President of Club Polk