Definitive UIW RCS

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,966
So, these are a unique product, of which, is extremely hard to find information about online.

While a current offering, this dates back to the Sandy Gross age of Def tech.

The idea is that the drivers are angled to the listening area whole also being recessed into the ceiling, and they do an excellent job of throwing a stage towards the space below them and creating a stealth performance.

I am using the Rcs iii as a center channel and the rcs II for right and left mains in my HT.

The Rcs iii uses dual 3. 5 midrange drivers paired to some oval racetrack prs. The drivers are compact but use cast baskets. Etc. Built overly well. This particular unit sounds best crossed over at 80hz, otherwise the vocals are chesty.

The rcs II is in a different lead and nothing online explains why. If I had known this previously, I would have bought it for my center channel as well.

The drivers are larger, 5.25 paired to 6.5 passive radiators, yes, but the tweeter is similar to that of the bp7000sc, the highs are far more detailed and smooth compared to other Def tech speakers using the prior aluminum tweeter. Very nice touch.

Both speakers utilize junk crossover parts so the more discernable listener should throw in some quality caps and resistors. Well worth the small investment as the crossovers are simple.

That's it, just wanted to contribute to the interweb.

ctdct45u0747.jpg
g7be8hjbyrcl.jpg
2nquwrj1d2jw.jpg
48kanat9a0nt.jpg
p87mrk1omgou.jpg
tuoaqi85ry3f.jpg
69l55hy5udn0.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hey Trey how does the rcs ii do with 2 channel?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    I could never recommend them for a critical listen speaker...

For around the house or multi channel music with a su woofer, they rock.

I will sit on the couch and jam out with them playing no problem in a relaxing setting. Again no critical listen.

Side note, watched mission impossible yesterday with the all in ceiling, sub in floor setup and was extremely happy with the results. Did not miss the focals in the HT rig at all, which I was glad to hear.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    So... Its been a few months with a full in ceiling/in floor HT with no physical speakers in the room...

Watched Mortal Engines last night and noticed the calibration was off a tad. Re-Ran calibration this morning and changed my crossover settings to 60hz for the mains and surrounds but 80 for the center.

I have to say, I love it. I really don't see a reason to re-incorporate the Utopias back into the HT system. The sound is fluid front to back since everything is overhead, the bass is explosive and smooth. The dialogue is clear, excellent dynamics.

You can go from subtle to uncomfortable in seconds.

While I am jaded a tad since my UIW series are modified... they rock. My wife uses it daily for around the house music as well, she loves it.

Anyone looking to go all in ceiling, the UIW RCS is killer. I am also convinced infinite baffle subs, if compatible with your room/house is the only way to go!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Part of me debates snagging some of these for my rear surrounds......... but I'd need longer speaker wire, and also route through the wall to the ceiling joist area and I'm hesitant to do that.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    I really don't like the design of the UIW RSS surrounds with the sealed backs... they just are to big for surrounds (in my house). In a high ceiling 12 ft environment I bet they would be amazing.

I am using the dual tweeter surrounds. hziokvdicxru.jpg

I like that they are only slightly larger than my can lighting, which allows them to blend in. The grills have almost no frame. The dual tweeters disperses the sound much better than the DT65R which has one.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Yeah I’m only going to EVER be 5 channel due to spacing lol...... so for me they are big enough that they’d cover my rear with sound LIKE a 7 channel would I bet.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    Same her, 5.1 is all I need for my space, anything else would feel a little congested