Tube trolling

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,600
    or these, branded "Westinghouse" :)

13337579533_1651ee9dd5_b.jpgWesties closeup by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The 6SU7 is a tube of renown for those of us who need 6SL7s. :) Inexplicably -- I have a pair here... I have no idea where they came from. I haven't had the courage to actually try 'em in the "Simple 2A3" amp, mostly because they're not all that easy to find (IME).
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,961
    edited November 2018
    JuanR wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Agree with Brock on the Tung-Sol's. One of my favorite 6sn7 and 6ak5 tubes. If i could afford the Tung-Sol round plate 6sn7 tubes I'd have a pair but they are well out of my reach.

My favorite pair of 6SL7 tubes are a 1951 pair of Tung Sol 6SU7GTY, round black plates. Tight tolerance from the factory! What a superb sounding pair of tubes. Pricey (not as pricey as the 6SN7 version) but worth it.

The early CBS 5814 bp with the flat ladder plates vs. the notched plates is a stellar 12AU7 equivalent. The later ones tend to not be as magical as the earlier ones.

H9

Thank you SIR H9! for leading me to the Tungsol 6SU7GTY tube....absolutely the best 6SL7 variant to my ears out there....on another note RCA 5691 and the 5692 tubes are also fantastic!

Also probably one of the best also is the 50's Brimar CV1985 from the STC Foostscray plant.

http://www.tubemonger.com/Brimar_MPs_1956_CV1985_6SL7GTY_SQ_GT_STCFootscray_p/775.htm

I also have a rare pair of 1957 Valvo Hamburg 6SL7 with tall sliverish plates that are superb as well.

2xnos-valvo-6sl7-hamburg-germany-1957-d-getter_1_3913046ae7824d28fb95c5b8abc9a766.jpg

In case anyone is interested?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Valvo-JAN-6-SL-7-GT-Vacuum-Tube/223177556292?hash=item33f66b4144:g:ADcAAOSwHWtbt9kj:rk:1:pf:0

Actually not a bad deal. They usually sell for $300+/pr.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • Just read this interesting thread. I saw DSkip mention the JJ 12AU7. They're one of my favorite U7. I had some really good NOS including Siemens long plate and Mullard, but I found the JJ was as enjoyable as the vintage tubes. On my system and ears, the JJ sounded similar to Mullard but had a more colorful presentation, like vocals sounded very rich and the overall sound was pleasantly warm. I love the JJ's.

I've stopped rolling vintage tubes, but for those using modern production, do you guys notice a "house sound" with different brands?
    For example, when I purchase Electro Harmonix, no matter the tube type, I already know what kind of sound to expect. EH have a very strong, open and neutral sound.
    JJ's are always warm and more tubey.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,608
    I hate when a couple of tubes just hang on the edge and don't light up quite as much as the others. They're sitting there watching me, just trolling... waiting for their opportunity. Hate that!
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

kharp1 wrote: »
    I hate when a couple of tubes just hang on the edge and don't light up quite as much as the others. They're sitting there watching me, just trolling... waiting for their opportunity. Hate that!

you would not like vintage 2A3s. They barely light up at all.

B)
  • Moss_ManMoss_Man Posts: 28
    edited December 2018
    LOL, I remember getting those kinds of tubes a couple of times on EL34. Depending on how the filaments were placed, sometimes one tube out of four on the amp would look like it's not glowing as much.
    edited December 2018
    Between the physical construction and the 2.5 V direct-heated cathode, the old 2A3s just don't light up much. This can be a recipe for finger burns, too -- don't ask me how I know this ;)

The current production Sovtek 2A3 also doesn't light up much at all.

On the other hand the Sophia/TJ 'meshplate' (perforated plate) 2A3s kind of took things to the other extreme.

9587513420_8b179eacbb_b.jpgmeshplate2A3 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Goofy looking tubes, but they do sound good. :|
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 7,144
    edited December 2018
    Looks like a little toaster. B)

The one in the back looks like a jelly fish. That's cool too. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    heh - never thought of a 5V4 lookin' like a jellyfish (in the dark) -- but I see your point.

B)

A 2A3 would make a pretty good (albeit small) toaster.
2»