6-pair speaker selector

mdaudioguy
mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
edited December 2018 in Electronics
Anybody used one of these? I have a friend who has this Niles Audio SVL-6 and wants to use all 6 connections, mostly for background music in different rooms around the house. What kind of power would be recommended? None of the speakers are very exotic - easy to drive 8 ohm speakers. Right now all he has is a Yamaha CR-1040.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-a61Ek8akZpm/p_190SVL6/Niles-Audio-SVL-6.html

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I skimmed the manual...

Says not to use more than 100 watts per channel 8 ohm and to not go below a 4 ohn overall load at any time.

I would be cautious doing all 6 at one time given that info
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mdaudioguy
    I'm wondering how overall load is determined. Are these things configured such that multiple pairs look like a single pair to the amp?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Protection Circuitry: The left and right channel ground returns are isolated to make the unit compatible with all types of amplifiers. The impedance magnification switch on the rear of the unit offers settings for up to six pair of speakers so the impedance load presented to the amplifier remains constant.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mdaudioguy
    I need to study that manual...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I remember on my Adcom 6 pr. selectors it said to push that protection button when using more than 2 pr.s.

I think that will provide the safety to use 6 pairs at once with respectful volume.

Definitely check the receiver or amps heating when doing so. If it gets really hot, abort. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I think those boxes just have some load resistors in 'em, don't they?
    It'd be nice to think they have some impedance matching (e.g., L-pad) on board, but I think they're way too inexpensive so to do.

Had I one, and a screwdriver -- well -- I know what'd I'd do.

:)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I believe that protection circuit is current limiting. Had one similar to that, was a piece of junk. Pain in the rear to work with those little screws in the back.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable