Olive Oil - Store Bought No More

Options
2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Oh yeah, balsamic and EVO is like PB&J.....GOOD EATIN' !!

Damn, I'm gonna have to learn how to make bread. Any good bread makers here ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I like to rub some toasted crusty bread with garlic & a cut of fresh tomato. Then drizzle with good oil.

Pan con Tomate. Or more properly, pan amb tomàquet.

@tonyb A good no-knead bread is the trick.
    Try this one.
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/knead-not-sourdough-recipe-1939606

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    The wife saw some segment on tv saying that the trick to picking a good olive oil is to check the label to see if the olives are sourced from mulitple countries....look for an olive that is from only one country...not a mix.

Just checked the label on the grocery store bottle I usually buy...3 different countries for "Extra Pure Virgin".

I feel jipped...

that would have been racist or something if you had spelt it right
  • afterburnt
    Options
    rromeo923 wrote: »
    I like Olive Oil. How come I hate Olives???
    I would like to like Olives. Any suggestions. Maybe I am trying the wrong ones. Green and Black is the only designation I know and both are horrible.

Put em in a nice dry martini, what's not to like?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    Options
    ^^yet, we keep going back for more.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    The wife saw some segment on tv saying that the trick to picking a good olive oil is to check the label to see if the olives are sourced from mulitple countries....look for an olive that is from only one country...not a mix.

Just checked the label on the grocery store bottle I usually buy...3 different countries for "Extra Pure Virgin".

I feel jipped...

I would like to like Olives. Any suggestions. Maybe I am trying the wrong ones. Green and Black is the only designation I know and both are horrible.

FYI, the members you're replying to haven't been active here in quite a while.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

I feel jipped...

I am aware of that
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2018
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

I feel jipped...

No different than people talking to the dearly departed.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    More productive than talking to some of the live ones
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited December 2018
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Other tidbits....

Look at the age on the bottle. Store bought oils may have sat for a year or more already.

Light breaks down olive oils, so buy them in dark glass or can. Light bottles that allow light in, is a no-no, and usually a sign of crappy oil.

Single grove oils, will have less a chance of diluting with poorer oils like some do.

Like anything that grows from soils, the soil will have a profound influence on the olive, and thus the oil. Some olive trees are hundreds of years old, some maybe even close to a thousand. Older trees vs newer trees will also have some influence on the taste. So it's beneficial to know where the olives are coming from.

Cold pressing is also desirable, 1st run if you can.

Do some research on the company you buy oil from. Sometimes they are just 2nd and 3rd parties that just slap their name on another's oil. Keep in mind, that the health benefits from olive oils only happens when it's used cold. Heat the oils and you lose all the benefits. Heating and cooking with regular olive oil, while not beneficial health wise, still imparts flavor, which is what most of us are going for anyway.

EVO oil is to be used for dipping, salads, drizzled over pasta. I dip with EVO on a plate with Parm. cheese, some black pepper, maybe a bit of garlic and basil at times too. Add some warm crusty bread and I can make a meal out of it. :)

I may just do that today too, since the Bears are playing, and you guys are making me hungry.

A walking encyclopedia, I tell ya!

Keep 'em coming T (said in the voice of Tony Sirico)

but seriously, a metal can is ok? Cuz I may be loading-up soon!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Metal can is fine.
    They use a non-reactive, food safe lining on them.

Listen to tonyb. He is "feeding" you very good info
  • GlennDog
    Options
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Metal can is fine.
    They use a non-reactive, food safe lining on them.

I can dig that! but unfortunately, it’s been my experience that it’s only sold in mega quantities that way…

So regarding my aversion to plastic containers. I went to Costco today and there were a few choices available, but only one packaged in glass. So that’s the one I picked up.
    IF labeled BPA free, I would certainly consider it. But lately I’ve heard there are issues with the “BPA free”l labeling, too!

See the picture below
    A bottle on the left I plowed through this past weekend. It was tasty but no direct comparison could be made. Purchased at Kroger for $5.99 17 oz
    Labeling says 100% organic but to me there’s some confusion, in that it’s not necessarily 100% Italian

Stopped into Costco and picked up the bottle in the middle. $8.69 for 33.8 ounces
    Labeling indicates 100% Spanish from Catalonia region but doesn’t actually specify 100%. And by that I mean, it says “Product of Spain”
    Man! I hope it’s Stoopid Good!

Then I made a pitstop to the local market, affectionately called “Ninos” short for Nino Salvaggio. I expected a good selection here and they delivered. It was almost overwhelming. Maybe the most current harvest is still on the ship being transported across the pond because I could not find anything current. I picked up the bottle on the far right $14.99 for 25-1/2 ounces. 100% Greek

In the end, I guess I don’t care if it’s 100% this or that, as long as it’s fresh ‘n tasty!
    Happy Eating!

vdtcjfrin8uu.jpeg

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Ha!
    the round Colavita bottle kept rolling sideways and the jumpers were spacing them perfectly, then I decided "to heck with spacing them" and just crammed 'em together . . .
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Placed my order today Tony. Thanks for the advice.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Ha!
    the round Colavita bottle kept rolling sideways and the jumpers were spacing them perfectly, then I decided "to heck with spacing them" and just crammed 'em together . . .

So how did the Kirkland compare to the Colavita?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I probably should clarify my thoughts on the clear bottling for olive oils. There is only one exception , one reason to justify buying oil in a clear glass container.

If it's new oil, in small enough quantities that can be used up in a month or 2. How do you know if it's "new oil" ?

It's still green. As the oil ages, it loses that green and the sediments start separating from the oil. So if you can find new oil, in a clear bottle and plan on using it up fairly quickly, run....don't walk. It will be one of the tastiest OO's you'll experience.

here's an example.

https://www.lartedellolivo.com/250ml-Cemetery.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options

Blue cheese stuffed olives are the bomb. Can we say "bomb" on the forum ? :)

BBBBBBOMB !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I probably should clarify my thoughts on the clear bottling for olive oils. There is only one exception , one reason to justify buying oil in a clear glass container.

If it's new oil, in small enough quantities that can be used up in a month or 2. How do you know if it's "new oil" ?

It's still green. As the oil ages, it loses that green and the sediments start separating from the oil. So if you can find new oil, in a clear bottle and plan on using it up fairly quickly, run....don't walk. It will be one of the tastiest OO's you'll experience.

here's an example.

https://www.lartedellolivo.com/250ml-Cemetery.html

Li’l pricecy, but I’m sure it’s ooh la la, super tasty

“The Dance of Death unites us all” . . . keep ‘em coming T
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • krazypolk
    Options
    The equivalent of $438 a gallon is not pricey, it's stupid expensive.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »
    The equivalent of $438 a gallon is not pricey, it's stupid expensive.

You can go to Sams Club then.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yes gents, new oil, still green....isn't going to be cheap. Anything of quality isn't, right ?

that was just one example, of a single grove fresh EVOO. The same company used to offer new green oil in darken glass bottles from other groves in 500 ml bottles for like 30 bucks, but I didn't see it on their website this year. They called it Nuvo, and I've bought it every year and was a fantastic oil.

I'll have to do some research for other oils available here that are close to the harvesting. Once you have and taste the freshness of actual green olive oil, it's hard to go back to the off the shelf stuff.

Kinda like drinking the good wines, The Duckhorns, Silver Oaks, Phelps, and then having to be stuck with Gallo and 2 buck Chuck. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's