Olive Oil - Store Bought No More

PreCd
PreCd Posts: 786
edited April 2012 in The Clubhouse
We have been buying a name brand, higher priced olive oil for years at the supermarket. I will not name names but it begins with a B......and ends with an i. Kinda rhymes with ravioli.

We got olive oil from California made by the California Olive Ranch and I will never go back to the ravioli brand. The taste was so much fresher and buttery and pure. Just a great EVO.

We eat EVO everyday. I may buy the Bertolli to cook with but will no longer eat it raw. No reason to now.
SDA2BTL
Marantz CD5004
Adcom GFA-545
Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
Post edited by PreCd on

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2012
    The wife saw some segment on tv saying that the trick to picking a good olive oil is to check the label to see if the olives are sourced from mulitple countries....look for an olive that is from only one country...not a mix.

Just checked the label on the grocery store bottle I usually buy...3 different countries for "Extra Pure Virgin".

I feel jipped...

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited April 2012
    I usually buy the Rozanno Organic EVO. Checked the label and it doesn't say yea or nay if it's sourced from multiple countries.
    No excuses!
  • PreCd
    edited April 2012
    That is the truth. The California oil I have is one source.......Cali. Good point and I am glad you mentioned that.
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    The wife saw some segment on tv saying that the trick to picking a good olive oil is to check the label to see if the olives are sourced from mulitple countries....look for an olive that is from only one country...not a mix.

Just checked the label on the grocery store bottle I usually buy...3 different countries for "Extra Pure Virgin".

I feel jipped...
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2012
    Man, don't get an Italian started on the quality of olive oils. It's kinda like wine, once you have the good stuff, it's hard to go back.
    The tasteless junk on the grocery shelves baffles me why anyone would buy it. For some cooking it may be OK, but for dishes that you use olive oil as is out of the bottle, you need better. California has some darn good olive oils, won't take anything away from them as they are of the right mindset to produce single grove oils made in a traditional sense. Of coarse being Italian, I'm partial. Here's a link to some I found to be pretty darn good. Keep in mind that oils vary in quality and price just like wine. Note the color of the oil.

http://www.lartedellolivo.com/2011-NUOVO-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil_c_10.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited April 2012
    I like Olive Oil. How come I hate Olives???
    I would like to like Olives. Any suggestions. Maybe I am trying the wrong ones. Green and Black is the only designation I know and both are horrible.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited April 2012
    rromeo923 wrote: »
    I like Olive Oil. How come I hate Olives???
    I would like to like Olives. Any suggestions. Maybe I am trying the wrong ones. Green and Black is the only designation I know and both are horrible.
    I'm with you on this. I don't like any green or black olives that I have ever tried. However, I do love olive oil. Yum!
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Eh, just the way it is I guess. I hate corned beef, but throw it on a Reuben Sandwich and I'm all over it. Some people it's a texture thing, just like with cheesecake. Lucky for me I have no such hangups.:cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PreCd
    edited April 2012
    Yep. Asking an Italian about olive oil is like asking a Scotch Irishman about whiskey. Accurate information will come forth! Unless he has drank too much.

I read the "About Us" from the website you posted and they sound as if they know what they are talking about.

Here are the folks I buy from: http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/

Deliciousness!

tonyb wrote: »
    Man, don't get an Italian started on the quality of olive oils. It's kinda like wine, once you have the good stuff, it's hard to go back.
    The tasteless junk on the grocery shelves baffles me why anyone would buy it. For some cooking it may be OK, but for dishes that you use olive oil as is out of the bottle, you need better. California has some darn good olive oils, won't take anything away from them as they are of the right mindset to produce single grove oils made in a traditional sense. Of coarse being Italian, I'm partial. Here's a link to some I found to be pretty darn good. Keep in mind that oils vary in quality and price just like wine. Note the color of the oil.

http://www.lartedellolivo.com/2011-NUOVO-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil_c_10.html
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited April 2012
    You'all some fussie bastads. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PreCd
    edited April 2012
    Hey! I am not fussie!

And I have read some of your audio threads there. Look who is calling the kettle black. :wink:
    steveinaz wrote: »
    You'all some fussie bastads. LOL
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • breal74
    breal74 Posts: 324
    edited April 2012
    Here is my favorite olive oil. It has a very light and fresh taste to it.
    olio verde.jpg
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2012
    Eh, just the way it is I guess. I hate corned beef, but throw it on a Reuben Sandwich and I'm all over it. Some people it's a texture thing, just like with cheesecake. Lucky for me I have no such hangups.:cheesygrin:

me too, I thought I was just strange. I don't like corned beef or cabbage, but I love Reuban sandwiches. Doesn't make sense, but that's taste for you.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,319
    edited April 2012
    evhudsons wrote: »
    me too, I thought I was just strange. I don't like corned beef or cabbage, but I love Reuban sandwiches. Doesn't make sense, but that's taste for you.
    Yeah, not really strange. I do like corned beef, but I do not like cabbage...unless it is fermented and made into sauerkraut. I certainly love a good reuben sandwich, but I also love sauerkraut on hot dogs - NY style for the win!

For another example, I don't like cucumbers, but I do love pickles (both dill and bread/butter style). Fried pickles are awesome too, especially from Movie Tavern.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2012
    Discussions on Olive Oil can go the way of cable discussions! Years ago while working in Italy I went to an olive oil tasting event. Many different brands, variations, blends, etc. I tend to use store-bought light olive oil for cooking, usually whatever is on sale. For anything where the olive oil is going to be more front-and-center I use an olive oil I buy at the old Italian market in Des Moines. You bring in your own container and pay by weight. It has a nice light, clean, and buttery flavor.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    Just as a side note, The French and Greece have some stupid good olive oils too, so don't rule them out.

Now, Balsamic vinegar....oh boy, don't know what I'd do without that either. My current passion is from California by Wine Country Kitchens. It's a vanilla-fig balsamic that is outstanding on anything. I also reduce it so it turns into a thicker syrupy topping for seared tuna.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PreCd
    edited April 2012
    O no.....the Balsamic vinegar! We do purchase that at the store and love it on salads or to dip your fried chicken strips in. Heck I could drink vinegar, I love it. I will check the Wine Country Kitchens out.
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
  • tonyb
    edited April 2012
    PreCd wrote: »
    O no.....the Balsamic vinegar! We do purchase that at the store and love it on salads or to dip your fried chicken strips in. Heck I could drink vinegar, I love it. I will check the Wine Country Kitchens out.

LOL....another oil freak like myself. Here's their web page, they have lots of stuff that may interest you. Happy eating.

http://www.winecountrykitchens.com/balsamic-vinegars/

BTW-besides salads, I use the vanilla-fig balsamic over some fresh sliced tomatoes with some buffalo mazarella and a fresh basil leaf on top. Grab yourself a good glass of wine and your in hog heaven my friend.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Resurrected from hibernation!

Any current product recommendations are appreciated

fyi, I much prefer glass containers, basically steering clear of plastic (when I can, not always doable)

lately, I've plowed through many oz of the "earl"
    Namely, Simple Truth 100% Organic Italian EVOO

I just know there's a better product to be had

Thoughts? TIA
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Just as a side note, The French and Greece have some stupid good olive oils too, so don't rule them out.

The man is wise. Pay attention.

Also. Don't discount a good Spanish oil either.

If you have Costco membership their house brand EV is stupid good.
    California ranch is nice. I would happily use it & have.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    What is this "stupid good" nonsense????
  • tonyb
    Yep, forgot about Spain too. Some of the highest rated oils on the planet. BTW, EVO is not used to cook with. Use regular olive oil for that, or vegetable oil. I use a mix of olive and vegetable to fry with.

This is the time of year all the new oil comes out. Ideally, you want the freshest oils. Olive oil doesn't get better with age like wine does.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Agree completely on the Costco Oil. Good stuff.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I like to frequent a Greek family owned restaurant nearby. The main family is still in Greece and the eatery owner(the man's a riot!) returns there a few times each year to help with the olive tree farm and arrange to ship back here their product. This is by far the best olive oil I have ever tasted. When there is a note on the door that the restaurant is closed for a few weeks I'm disappointed to not eat there but look forward to his return with fresh product.

I read some time ago that cooking with high temps destroys any health benefit in EVOO and should consider avocado oil....true?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    We just got a Costco in town and that's the first thing the wife wanted was a big bottle of thier olive oil and a big ol tub of coconut oil.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Buy American, right?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Yep, forgot about Spain too. Some of the highest rated oils on the planet. BTW, EVO is not used to cook with. Use regular olive oil for that, or vegetable oil. I use a mix of olive and vegetable to fry with.

I should’ve specified that this would be used for dipping. Lately I’ve been using (what I think is) a descent peanut oil for heated dishes
    This is the time of year all the new oil comes out. Ideally, you want the freshest oils. Olive oil doesn't get better with age like wine does.

Nice tidbit Tony!

@tonyp063 Kirkland EVOO?? who’da thunk ... Thanks!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Viking64 wrote: »
    What is this "stupid good" nonsense????

Let me rephrase Jimmy.

The quality of the Kirkland olive oil, in relation to it's cost, is so good that one would be stupid to not consider it for purchase based upon the noted needs.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    tonyp063 wrote: »

Let me rephrase Jimmy.

That's "Jim".
  • tonyb
    edited December 2018
    Other tidbits....

Look at the age on the bottle. Store bought oils may have sat for a year or more already.

Light breaks down olive oils, so buy them in dark glass or can. Light bottles that allow light in, is a no-no, and usually a sign of crappy oil.

Single grove oils, will have less a chance of diluting with poorer oils like some do.

Like anything that grows from soils, the soil will have a profound influence on the olive, and thus the oil. Some olive trees are hundreds of years old, some maybe even close to a thousand. Older trees vs newer trees will also have some influence on the taste. So it's beneficial to know where the olives are coming from.

Cold pressing is also desirable, 1st run if you can.

Do some research on the company you buy oil from. Sometimes they are just 2nd and 3rd parties that just slap their name on another's oil. Keep in mind, that the health benefits from olive oils only happens when it's used cold. Heat the oils and you lose all the benefits. Heating and cooking with regular olive oil, while not beneficial health wise, still imparts flavor, which is what most of us are going for anyway.

EVO oil is to be used for dipping, salads, drizzled over pasta. I dip with EVO on a plate with Parm. cheese, some black pepper, maybe a bit of garlic and basil at times too. Add some warm crusty bread and I can make a meal out of it. :)

I may just do that today too, since the Bears are playing, and you guys are making me hungry.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    EVO oil is to be used for dipping, salads, drizzled over pasta. I dip with EVO on a plate with Parm. cheese, some black pepper, maybe a bit of garlic and basil at times too. Add some warm crusty bread and I can make a meal out of it. :)

My dad is from an Italian family. He told stories of how when they couldn’t afford much for dinner when he was growing up, homemade bread dipped in olive oil (seasoned like Tony mentions of course) was dinner. And they loved it. Now any decent Italian restaurant serves breads and oil along with your meal. Throw a splash of balsamic vinegar on the plate with the oil and it IS delicious!