Breville USA

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited November 2018
    Try the Jamaican Man!

JBM brotha, I think you even sent me a bag last year. Excellent coffee.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    tonyb wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Now if we want to talk actually coffee, the best in my book is Illy. Bar none. Forget that burnt Starbucks crap and any Seattle branded over-roasted coffee. Illy medium or dark blends are some of the best coffee in the world.

Illy is good, but it's too bad they don't offer any organic beans.

The word "organic" has become a laughing stock of sorts. Know why ?

In 2005, congress deemed toxic synthetic ingredients acceptable substances in organic foods. In 2006 the USDA stacked the national Organic Standards Board with corporate and special interests. Food bearing the USDA Organic seal no longer needs to be natural food.

Your best bet is to do your own due diligence and research any product/food your interested in.

My preference to purchase organic coffee is mainly due to the agricultural and farming methods associated with organic coffee production vs traditional.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Try the Jamaican Man!

Like the dope dealer... the first bag is free o:)
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Now if we want to talk actually coffee, the best in my book is Illy. Bar none. Forget that burnt Starbucks crap and any Seattle branded over-roasted coffee. Illy medium or dark blends are some of the best coffee in the world.

Illy is good, but it's too bad they don't offer any organic beans.

The word "organic" has become a laughing stock of sorts. Know why ?

In 2005, congress deemed toxic synthetic ingredients acceptable substances in organic foods. In 2006 the USDA stacked the national Organic Standards Board with corporate and special interests. Food bearing the USDA Organic seal no longer needs to be natural food.

Your best bet is to do your own due diligence and research any product/food your interested in.

My preference to purchase organic coffee is mainly due to the agricultural and farming methods associated with organic coffee production vs traditional.

Agreed, but the key word there is "associated" with, not "guaranteed".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Try the Jamaican Man!

Like the dope dealer... the first bag is free o:)

LMAO....so when I have to go to coffeeaholics, I can blame you ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I’m gonna have to try some of that jbm, I usually use swings coffee here in dc or blue bottle which I can get the day after roasting at the dc location, have really enjoyed those 2 espressos so far
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    The roasting, brewing & cupping course I spoke of was geared more to the small business owner than to home roasters like me. I did learn quite a bit about the potential benefits of blending beans. The business owners were shown how they could add 10-15% cheaper (robusta) beans to their blends to increase profits while not killing the flavor profile of the coffee. So buyer beware. What was of more interest was how the blending of different varieties of beans and blending of the same variety roasted to different levels had sometimes unexpected results for the better when these were tasted. I was all abuzz at the end of that day. I’m starting to experiment with blending light roasts with darker ones of my beans. Not much to comment on yet.

I don’t mean to derail the thread. The OP got me thinking about asking Santa for an espresso machine. Until we remodeled the kitchen, there wasn’t really enough counter space for one. The search is on.

• tonyb
    Keep in mind, if you go shopping for an automatic espresso machine, the oily beans won't work with them. Usually the darker roasts have more oil in them, if dark is your preference.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    Shouldn’t be a problem. I’m roasting not quite as dark as I once did. The beans have little to no oil anymore. The Jura machines look great, but I may go semiautomatic for starters. No built-in grinder.
  • Clipdat
    My new job's office has one of these:

expobar-office-lever-plus-semi-automatic-espresso-machine_3.jpg

and one of these:

mazzer_mini_e_type_a_silver.jpg

Been using them daily.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow. That’s killer. I’d wear them out if I worked there
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    Haha, sometimes I use them twice a day, for that after-lunch double shot ;)

It's funny to watch other people use it and have no clue what they are doing. Not putting enough grounds into the portafilter, hardly using any effort to tamp down the puck, going too long on the extraction and overextracting, etc.

Or leaving the portafilter attached to the machine instead of taking it off, knocking out the puck and rinsing it out with hot water and setting it aside to dry. Literally just leaving it attached with your stale coffee grounds still in there and expecting the next person to use the machine to clean up after you. Seriously how rude is that? Man that irritates me.
  • maxward
    That one is probably above my pay grade, but it looks great. Break room etiquette usually leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Clipdat
    maxward wrote: »
    That one is probably above my pay grade, but it looks great. Break room etiquette usually leaves a lot to be desired.

They're in the $1-2k range: https://www.wholelattelove.com/espresso-machines/semi-automatic?product_brand=89
  • stangman67
    That expobar brewtus Is on my short list for our next house. They have plenty of option a to fit whatever’s your plans are, I’m going to get the rotary plumber unit. It’s a gorgeous piece that should last a very long time

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I have the same Breville Barista Express as above. I had the older model as well, the 860XL I think.

They are GREAT machines.

For my drip, I really like my Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 79112. Brews fairly quickly, great coffee and the coffee stays hot.

The Breville gets used MUCH more. I make a double Americano every morning and the wife makes a latte every morning.

For my espresso, I really like Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger. I've been through A LOT of different espresso trying to figure out what I like best and I kept coming back to the Cliff Hanger blend. Good balance and tasty.
  • Upstatemax
    For the drip, I usually rotate between a couple of Kicking Horse blends:

- Smart A** (you can plaster it on the side of bag, but god forbid you type it online)
    - Three Sisters
    - When I can find it, Hoodoo Jo is my favorite.
  • stangman67
    Oven used kicking horse 454 horsepower and it is ok for what seems to be an over roasted product. It’s cheap and easily available so that is a major plus. I have found the local fresh roasted stuff to be a cut above though

• Upstatemax
    I was not a fan of the 454 either. It lost a lot of the balance that I've found in a lot of their other blends.
  • Upstatemax
    As for local roasters. The only one that is easy for me to get to was WAY too inconsistent.

Some batches would be great, then the next was garbage...
  • joecoulson
    @Upstatemax you have to try the Illy in the barista
  • stangman67
    edited December 2018
    I’ll give the illy a try as well once my blue bottle stuff is gone

• maxward
    So here’s what I am considering so far, all prices from Whole Latte Love.

Single boiler machines:
    Gaggia Classic - $379
    Breville BES840XL - $499
    Rancilio Silvia - $715
    ECM Casa V - $999
    Heat exchange machines:
    Expobar Office Lever - $1299
    969.Coffee Elba 1 - $1299
    Superautomatic machines:
    Jura (used, slim pickings locally)

I know, it’s a pretty big range. I will likely stick to a single boiler machine, but could be talked into something else. Local Craigslist has a Gaggia Classic for $250 OBO and a Rancilio for $350. I’d appreciate any suggestions, good or bad experiences with any of these, and perhaps other machines I should be looking at. Thanks.

• stangman67
    edited December 2018
    I only have experience with the Breville 870, which is the 840 plus onboard grinder. If you don’t have a nice Burr grinder already, I’d go with the 870xl. I love the machine and the program ability is a nice touch. The Silvia is supposedly a fantastic machine but it’s fully manual and requires some attention to detail to not burn up the boiler as it allows you to run the boiler dry, where the Breville auto refills the boiler.

I have heard great things about that expobar but you are talking a huge price delta there, I think you need to definite exactly what you went to do with the machine before you realistically look. I myself will be getting the expobar brewtus for my next machine even though the Breville does a great job

• joecoulson
    I almost got the Rancilio but settled on the Breville. Been quite happy.
  • maxward
    Thanks. I do have a good burr grinder, but may need to upgrade depending upon which machine I get. That’s why I’m thinking about the Breville without the onboard grinder. I’ve read that the Rancilio is finicky about the grind. Seems to be several happy Breville owners here.
  • joecoulson
    I’ll agree about the grind but that’s just experience for me. The more coarse a grind, the harder I tamp it. You’ll get to know your machine after some time.
  • stangman67
    I love mine. I got the 870 on sale for 550 a few months back so you can find them cheaper than msrp

• Clipdat
    I freaking love espresso! I've had some shots made by expert baristas at local cafes, and it's been an incredible experience.

Sometimes I have to immediately get back in line and have them make me another, they're that good.

Espresso as is, without milk or sugar, is coffee in it's purest form in my opinion.