Polk Magnify Max soundbar turns on by itself

Soundbar turns on by itself at times when changing channels or whenever it is in the mood to do so. Not quite what was expected when we purchased it, as it was intended for occasional special TV or audio use.
This Polk soundbar is connected to a Sony Bravia via the optical cable provided and is powered to a surge protected power strip. I called Polk tech support to review connections, etc., and the problem is still unresolved.
I have heard others are experiencing the same problem with not only this brand/model, but other brands as well.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Already checked that angle out.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited November 2018
    We were in need of a mini sound bar for the spare room for our spare Sony Bravia and It was between the Polk Magnifi Mini or the Sony HT-MT300. I wanted to take advantage of the Cyber week sales at Best Buy.

So last night we went and checked out mini sound bars with the wireless subwoofers and needless to say it was down to the Polk or Sony, both were $150 off MSRP for the price of $199 until The sale is over on sunday.

I liked both the Polk and the Sony and thought they were both a good deal upon listening to them both. I have 8 pairs of Polk Speakers 2 center channels and 2 subwoofers so yeah I like the Polk Brand.

They both were comparable but the Polk Mini Soundbar system was a bit better. I kept thinking about all the reliability issues that I keep reading about most of all the Polk soundbar issues that I read about on the forum.

I asked the person that showed me these 2 units and asked him what one seemed to have less reliability issues he said if your looking for a more reliable unit then choose the Sony, as quite a few of the Magnifi Minis he recommended have been returned.

To bring my story to an end we left with the Sony the wife is listening to music with it right now via bluetooth. I'm satisfied with the purchase but kind of wanted to bring the Magnify Mini home but figured pairing the Bravia with a Sony soundbar was a better choice, to the OP I hope you get the problem taken care of as those units seem to sound pretty good.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Ta_y
    Ta_y Posts: 2
    Just posted my issue yesterday, my magnifi mini auto turn on when tv is off. Just changed the old sony to 8000e and connecct via optical. Do you have any idea to solve the issue?
  • DianePenn
    DianePenn Posts: 1
    I have a suspicion why the Polk turns on by itself when tv is shut off. I have DISH and at times while watching tv the audio will be interrupted. It will turn off and then turn back on without my help.
    What I think is happening is the audio signal is rebooted by DISH/Polk but if the tv is shut off it will activate only the audio but not the video. So, during the night my living room tv (which is the only one with Polk) audio will turn on due to the reboot signal. The other tv's in the house are also affected by interruptions but will not turn on when those tv are shut off since no Polk unit on those tv's to be activated. Does that make sense?
  • I bought the Magnify Mini, and had the same issue with it turning itself back on. I discovered that using hdmi arc connection fixed my issue. Don't use the optical cable. Discovered this by accident.