Health Insurance Costs

Options

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    My homeowners insurance goes up every year because of fires and floods in other parts of the nation. Your health insurance goes up because of obesity, diabetes, smoking and alcohol related ailments in this country. Not to mention the free medical dealt out at our Emergency rooms. You don't think you pay for the uninsured, think again.

I do believe we have a winner here!

Look at how this nation has changed over the decades, with regard to lifestyle, diet, food supply, the working family and so on. EVERYONE is on the run and demands fast convenient meals. How many actually take the time to hit the gym AND cook healthy meals? In reality, this is not totally our fault with regards to food. We have a food industry that caters to share holders and will do everything to pump up sales and profits. All of these supposed "healthy choice" meals you see in the frozen food section are nothing of the sort, but we are told they are. We were told that fat was the enemy, so they took it out, made it "healthy" and loaded it up with sugar and chemicals so it tastes good. Again, we get told this is healthy. I could go on and on and on...but there's one fact in all of this...the rate of Type 2 Diabetes is at epidemic proportions. Then couple in all the issues that it causes.

Plain and simple, it never used to be like this when I was I kid. Now we have an epidemic of obese children.

But hey...don't take my word for it...

2018-cost-of-diabetes.jpg
    No excuses!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I pay 9K a year in premiums with a 7K deductible. Basically, that's catastrophic care because everything else is going to be under that deductible.

Wasn't long ago HC was given to you at no cost because it was a benefit for most full time employees.

I'll agree, if free market principles and competition were allowed to function in the HC system, costs would come down.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I pay 9K a year in premiums with a 7K deductible. Basically, that's catastrophic care because everything else is going to be under that deductible.

Wasn't long ago HC was given to you at no cost because it was a benefit for most full time employees.

I'll agree, if free market principles and competition were allowed to function in the HC system, costs would come down.

Costs MIGHT come down, maybe. But at least 40% of Americans wouldn’t be able to afford it.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Costs MIGHT come down, maybe. But at least 40% of Americans wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Competition always lowers costs, no maybe's there. We just don't have any in that area.

Too many aspects of HC to be tackled, too little desire to do so. Everyone pays lobbyist to protect their piece of the pie, and nothing gets solved.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Bottomline, it's a mess.

I think the best way is to create a fair universal healthcare with universal protocols and litigation protection, that way expectations for everyone is set, met, and transparent.

Obviously, there are lots of cost cutting that can occur, if they want to cut doctors' pay, then they will need to cover the cost of our education and retro those who have already paid off their loans, and if they want to cut pay to the nurses, the same needs to be done as well. They would also need to maintain the pay for nurses, techs, and docs at levels on par with their education level and rise with inflation.

The meat of the cost of healthcare is not in the pay of the providers, it's in the excessive use of unnecessary care.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Instead of figuring out how to get more people insured, consider that maybe insurance (with the exception of a catastrophic coverage safety net) is the problem.

This is from 9 years ago, but rings even truer today than it did then:

https://youtu.be/3WnS96NVlMI
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    Options
    Joey,
    ....and those with out insurance that use up the resources. Anyone, legal or illegal can walk into an emergency area and get care without paying. It is beholden on the hospital to spend further resources to chase them down.

Universal care isn't the answer either. That's the opposite of a competition based free market system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Not an expert or even very knowledgable about the health insurance industry, but it is a mess.

Before the federal government got involved, the individual state governments were doing an exemplary job of driveing up the cost of insurance. During the debate process, the talking heads were doing an outstanding job of not having a clue about which they were supposed to be informing people about. Lastly, the so called expert economists/financial gurus also had no idea about the industry, and unlike me, wouldn’t admit it.

There was the argument, prior to federal involvement, that if companies could just sell across state lines, insurance cost would come. The two glaring things overlooked was cost of living differences, and individual state mandates. Accounting for these two things alone, would make very little differences.

Currently, the industry has federal mandates. The issue currently overlooked, in an almost obscene manner is that all of these premiums still have to be approved by the individuale states.This is one aspect of the ridicules profit margins that people, in general, law makers in campaign mode, and of course problem solvers in the media, social or other wise seem to not care about.

So in essence, if one thinks about it, the high premiums that the federal government promised to solve with the current system, and the system that promises to solve, if the current system is eliminated, was cause by the same group of people. Some form of government getting involved in a system that nobody really understands in the first place.

Another myth seems to be the older portion of society drives up costs for everybody else. This is only semi-true. The old system insurance companies would limit the maximum lifetime benefits paid out. I believe that in 2010, the year the federal health insurance mandate came into existence, my policy was 5 million. About 5 percent of the population exceeded this thresh hold, and these people had long depilitating illness/diseases. The individuale companies had to artificially raise this standard, because the maximum benefit is no longer allowed.

Not in the medical industry, but I can only assume that about 20 percent of ER visits are a total waste of time and resources, and probably an equal number weren’t really emergencies, but required medical attention. Not much that can be done about that, because of the way the system currently is administered under fairly well established laws.

Cost can come down, if basic economic principles, personal choices, and some kind of individuale financial responsibilities were implemented. Since the concept of basic economic principles are a long forgotten concept, most economists will be of no help. Since, by what seems to be current societal standards, it is never the individuals fault, we can’t expect individuals to take responsibility for their own lack of action. Finally since some bureaucrat, who has no idea of anybody, more than likely even his/her own, financial and medical needs/limitations, is designing, implementing laws/rules/regulations, well....

The health insurance industry is a complete mess, and looking at the options, and who will be trying to figure out this mess, the best you can do is never need medical treatment of any kind. I see very little hope with all the inane ideas that the so called experts seem to think will solve the problem.
  • tonyb
    Options
    There is no silver bullet to solve this. It's kept a convoluted mess on purpose so people will cry for a single payer system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    Options
    I quit whining when I was 4 years old.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I have a buddy who worked for a large hospital....towards the top of the ladder so to speak. He left and has an inside perspective on waste and outright fraud that takes place within the healtcare system. My better half works within the industry and people are scared to seek healtcare during very serious medical episodes due the cost, which in the end increases costs. Plus alot of other good points made here....Tony summed it up perfectly. There are many reasons this is an issue and nobody really willing to fix it the right way because of waste, fraud, and politics.
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I am for a single payer system, earmark it to every paycheck in America, illegals included with penalties for the employer who pays them under the table.

I'm not talking Obama's Obamacare, that was a weak and empty bill.

For me, and my experience, a true universal healthcare system with protocols and expectations for every typical disease process while protecting the providers within the umbrella (medicolegally). Allow doctors to practice protocol base and evidence based medicine rather than legal medicine. Make patients be aware of the limit to healthcare expenses and that not every 90 year old will require a full pan-scan work up from head to toe because she's demented and on all the antibiotics in the world to combat some pan-resistant urinary tract infection.

Yes, to correct the healthcare system, there has to be compromises to be made.

To get a gallbladder out, you will have to wait like everyone else.
    To get your appendix out, maybe a round of outpatient antibiotics for those who are not seriously ill and immediate surgery for those who are (there are studies that support this).
    Etc etc.

Plus we need a reward system that you can bank over time, you smoke and do nothign about your obesity? That's negative points.
    You work out? That's positive points.

Main thing for a true universal healthcare system is to approach it not as a business, but approach it as a way to better society. It would also need to be cognizant that the waste in healthcare is not the provider pay, but every other red tape, hoop, bureaucratic (billing, etc), and medicolegal coveryourbutt medicine that we tend to practice because of the legal climate.

But guess what, it ain't ever going to happen.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    if the house and the senate of the united states and all the individual house and senates in the states had the same health car the masses had they would do a lot more to fix it for sure.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Bottomline: I would think a universal system without the overhead for billing/insurance companies, with a proper policy on healthcare protocols including umbrella malpractice coverage and malpractice REFORM, couple that WITH PATIENT LIABILITY (!!!).... that's a recipe for success in my opinion.

When you put the onus of preventable disease on everyone's shoulders, things start to change.

If you're obese and you're not making an effort (somehow we will have to quantify "effort") to become healthy, then you're not going to be alloted the same healthcare as those who are (you may have to go to a central hospital that cares for similar patients such as yourself, similar to a public hospital today).

Maybe those who are healthy and abide by the system, they get to go to a hospital local to them and if they rake in bonus points over the years, they get to either jump the line for their gallbladder to come out, or use it for a reward system of some sort.

By incentivizing patients in a universal healthcare system (unlike any currently in existence I believe), you put the onus of responsibility in the hands of consumers, thereby cutting unnecessary costs.

By making widespread systemwide protocols for management of typical diseases, you also cut costs on unnecessary studies, and consultants, etc.

By making a national reform on malpractice, and making the practice protocol based, the malpractice rates will drop and people will understand, this is why the doctor ordered this and not this, he's not negligent, he's following the rules.... this will also cut costs.

If you create a universal model with standardized provider pay, you will cut teh need for all this management models and all the manpower required to bill insurance, refuse the bill, and then re-send the bill... to infinity.

Lastly, create a universal model, you remove all the for profit insurance companies, and funnel that money back into the system.

But... don't give me a crappy UHS where you maintain the current status quo, don't hold patients liable, allow for 100 year old people to be on every life saving measure known to man, and still leave the doctors alone to fend themselves against ever prevalent malpractice.... and for sure, don't come in and make a universal healthcare system and think by simply cutting doc pay in half you are making headway, cuz you're not.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    By incentivizing patients in a universal healthcare system (unlike any currently in existence I believe), you put the onus of responsibility in the hands of consumers, thereby cutting unnecessary costs.

I love this, but I find it sadly and amusingly ironic. Is it not the millions of irresponsible people who are a major reason the system is in the shape it is in?

edit: Just want to stress that I agree completely Joey's thought. Again, just struck me as kind of funny because I can just hear those irresponsible people complaining about having to take responsibility.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Wow. I had no idea you guys paid that much. Makes me happy to be up here. It's not all rainbows and unicorns but wow you guys sure pay quite a hefty amount.
  • rpf65
    Options
    The biggest problem with universal health care is paying for it. Currently health care is about 17 percent of GDP.

Streamlining, eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse, and eliminate unnecessary law suites may drop it down to 10-12 percent of GDP.

Of course now it must be administered. Since another or 55 or so bureaucracies will be created, add 30 percent to the cost. Now factor in that currently pay no federal income taxes, and us morons, who do the right things, like work, and we will be taxed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 percent or more.

Doesn’t seem feasible or rational solution to me. Other choice would be rationing healthcare, and your in worse shape overall
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Wow. I had no idea you guys paid that much. Makes me happy to be up here. It's not all rainbows and unicorns but wow you guys sure pay quite a hefty amount.

Wasn't always like that, the last 10-15 years it got really messed up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    We had to pass that bill in order to find out what was actually in it....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Wife pays 250 a month full coverage for the 2 of us with a 25 co pay thru United Healthcare, employer picks up the rest, dental and vision included, she has been with same company for 30 years now, heck she gets 12 weeks off paid every year between PTO, vacation, personal days, sick days.......................
  • tonyb
    Options
    Healthcare is a commodity, not a right to be handed out at governments discretion.

Nice idea in general Joey, holding people accountable, but that's not very realistic. Would a car mechanic hold you responsible for being a crappy driver, not maintaining your vehicle and charge you more to fix it ?

No obviously, you break it, he fixes it, you pay him. Healthcare is similar, you break your body, doctor fixes you, you pay them.

You want the cheapest driveway mechanic to work on your BMW/Benz ? Obviously no, right ? Want the cheapest doctor working on your heart, eyes, operations ? That's what single payer or a Universal HC system will provide you. Need stuff done in a timely fashion ? Not the strong point of government run HC.

The way it is now, you have the Walmart HC system for the mass amount of slugs, and the Macy's system for the rich, politicians. If you want government to control your HC, quality will go down, benefits will go down, and costs go up. Haven't we just learned that lesson ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    We need to get Gov. and politicians out of healthcare. I don't want anybody who thinks an island will sink making decisions about my life in any way shape or form.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    We need to get Gov. and politicians out of healthcare. I don't want anybody who thinks an island will sink making decisions about my life in any way shape or form.

I think a solution might just be in the opposite direction, as touched on by Ivan:
    f the house and the senate of the united states and all the individual house and senates in the states had the same health car the masses had they would do a lot more to fix it for sure.

Yep without a doubt things would change, guaranteed, written in stone.
    When our problem becomes their problem, things will change.

And I don't know anyone who thinks doctors and nurses make too much.

Sal Palooza
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    First principles. Should healthcare be a for profit institution? No, it shouldn't. It's very nature only makes it profitable to a relatively small amount of people, while millions struggle with debt and decisions that have a circular effect on the very business itself.

These healthcare companies dont cure anything or help anyone medically, yet they call the shots on who gets what at what price and limiting services based on profits. All this while increasing premiums.

There is a reason every other industrialized country has socialized healthcare or some form of it.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Wt2EKE1j4
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Doctors made house-calls before Medicare came to be. Maybe if we went back to a simpler way of doing things for the easy stuff, it would get cheaper. Why do I need to sign 60 pages worth of binding arbitration BS before I can get a friggen blood test drawn?

• charley95
    Options
    My GP still makes house calls.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    What I like about Canada's system is that they allow clinics to practically be on every block. That way if you get sick, you call your doctor at your clinic down the street, and you have an appt. either that day or within a couple of days depending on the problem.

Canadians just have to show their city/state medical card and the billing takes care of itself, they pay reasonable prices for meds, and are never denied care for any reason.

If you have a true emergency, you are treated promptly, however, just like here, if you are having a elective procedure, you have to wait for an opening. When a specialist is needed, you are sent to one.

That probably frees up some of the congestion at the hospitals ERs, and you get seen faster. All your MDs are in the loop since your info can get transmitted right to them.

It took us god knows how long to get EMR going, I only signed off on it maybe 5 years ago for it to be done.

We would benefit significantly from having clinics that are easy to get to in every town in the US.

The problem is that Americans always want to be armchair QBs and second guess everything, and demand to see specialists, even when one isn't needed. They want to demand that medication that they saw advertised on tv rather than an inexpensive generic.

Most other countries have Universal Health Care, and are very happy with it and it works. We could have the same thing but that would mean that we all have to get over ourselves and educate ourselves to how UHC actually works.

Because right now EVERYONE is losing.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Just putting it out there. I work for an insurance company that dropped health care insurance years ago because of astronomical costs. My company health insurance is through Blue cross blue shield and my 1/3 is 700.00 a month for my son and I the company pays 2/3's. I can't wait until i retire and must pay 1/2 of it. NOT!
    A doctors visit still costs 85.00 a visit. BCBS pays the rest average cost of 169.00. My brother the other day was complaining that their family of 3 now must pay 200.00 a month for health insurance. I told him to go pound sand as he is just freakin clueless. He is offered health insurance at work but declines it because it's too "expensive" his wife carries the insurance she works at the local state college. They make 150k a year and have nothing to show for it. He drives a company truck his employer provides and doesn't own his own. He sold his truck as they couldn't "afford" it.... it was paid off so gas and insurance was all it cost.
    Whenever he starts to lecture me about all his knowledge of insurance and stuff i tell him to STFU.
    I shake me head and walk away.