Help setting up 2 amps at once with speakers??? Help

Hey guys I’m using a pair of Polk rti a7s with a Denon Poa 2800 amplifier and Denon receiver 2801. I just bought another power yamha PC2002M power amplifier which has a little more kick then the denon 2800. But I will be giving the denon 2800 to my dad when he gets back from his trip. I just want to know is it possible to hook up the 2 power amps to my setup at once ? And is it worth will I see a big difference in sound quality and performance ? I’m just curious and want to do a bit of experimenting only if it’s possible? Don’t want to risk blowing anything up. Thanks guys

Tony

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    One amp or the other
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I wouldn't. to easy to fry things. One amp one speaker.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    daoki wrote: »
    I just want to know is it possible to hook up the 2 power amps to my setup at once?
    probably but I’m not familiar w/your gear. Either way take your time making connections & 2X everything before flipping switches
    And is it worth will I see a big difference in sound quality and performance?
    oooh yeah but 2X everything before flipping...
    I’m just curious and want to do a bit of experimenting only if it’s possible? Don’t want to risk blowing anything up. Thanks guys

Tony
    see above advice... ...coming from six* power amps in his current config...
    *and counting!

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Just pick the one that sounds best to you, sell the other or keep as a back-up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    "Two amps, one pair of speakers" is an inside joke at another forum -- because the simple answer is "don't effing do it".

That said, a "break before make" type switch will work satisfactorily.
    There must be no possibility for both amps to be "in circuit" at the same time if they're energized.

There were (and still are) switchboxes designed to have a matrix of components -- Niles, I believe, may still make such gizmos.

They were standard equipment in hifi stores in the 1970s and pop up more than occasionally at eBAY and whatnot.

I have one of these, which is a simpler (and less expensive) version of the "comparators" mentioned above. This is more than the OP needs, but these aren't terribly expensive nor are they too hard to find.

24770045716_11ec7d3c13_h.jpg011 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The only drawback to the Switchcraft is that it's built for 1/4" phone plugs (for amp and loudspeaker connections) -- so one needs to either buy or make 1/4" to RCA cables to use one. Not a big deal, but one other thing to take into account.

24770042506_c3d355ea2c_h.jpg014 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    I think he means in a bi-amp configuration. Which, all he needs is an RCA splitter for each side....and more rca cables.

Though I'd still advise against it. Either amp is more than enough for those speakers. If better sound is the goal, start looking elsewhere in your system, quality of the cables, source your using, pre amp, dac, etc. The Denon receiver isn't doing you any favors, musically speaking,
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    From personal experience I’d strongly advise against it. I blew a really nice amp trying to do something similar. I can’t imagine that any benefit would be worth the risk.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    I just want to know is it possible to hook up the 2 power amps to my setup at once?
    probably but I’m not familiar w/your gear. Either way take your time making connections & 2X everything before flipping switches
    And is it worth will I see a big difference in sound quality and performance?
    oooh yeah but 2X everything before flipping...
    I’m just curious and want to do a bit of experimenting only if it’s possible? Don’t want to risk blowing anything up. Thanks guys

Tony
    see above advice... ...coming from six* power amps in his current config...
    *and counting!

Tony

I don't think the OP is quite as advanced in this arena as you... as a matter of fact, most of us aren't! You've done quite a bit of customization with your rig. Hence, the advice to the OP... Don't do it.
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2018
    Maudioguy: most humble thank you
    and...
    Does his AVR have pre outs? Does the sep amp make robust power like a P’sound, Rotel, or B&K?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2018
    Oops

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think he means in a bi-amp configuration. Which, all he needs is an RCA splitter for each side....and more rca cables.

Though I'd still advise against it. Either amp is more than enough for those speakers. If better sound is the goal, start looking elsewhere in your system, quality of the cables, source your using, pre amp, dac, etc. The Denon receiver isn't doing you any favors, musically speaking,

Derp. Guess I should actually read (or at least, striven to comprehend) the first post's text, eh? :/
    My apologies to the OP.
  • daoki
    daoki Posts: 32
    Is it possible to use a integrated preamplifier with a power amplifier ? In my case an integrated preamplifier with my Yamaha or Denon Power amplifier ?
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    Are we talking stereo (two channel)?
    The answer is (AFAIK) sometimes. It should be possible if the integrated amplifier has "MAIN IN" "PRE OUT" jumpers or jacks on it -- or it might be possible if there's a "PROCESSOR" loop. The 'breakpoint' needs to be after the preamplifier section in the integrated (so that the volume and source selectors are active, as well as any other preamp stuff one might wish to use -- tone controls, filters, whatever).

A - vintage - example would be the Yamaha CA-810.

g84jefulfds2.png

the PRE OUT/MAIN IN jumpers are visible at the lower left in the (borrowed) back panel photo of a CA-810 above.

u0spffomuicv.png
  • tonyb
    Is it possible to use a integrated preamplifier with a power amplifier ? In my case an integrated preamplifier with my Yamaha or Denon Power amplifier ?

Possible....yeah, but why would you ? An integrated is simply a pre amp and power amp in one unit, and you already have the power amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's