Harder feet or spongy feet under speakers?

Options
Which is better if placed on an Ikea TV stand which is probably resonant (cheesey) or does it matter much?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I never really got the "couple/decouple" thing
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I have had different results in coupling and decoupling.

This can vary pending on your floor ie concrete or sub-floor, porting of speakers, sealed or non, room in general.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Just wondering, a youtube said the elac bookies don't come with feet and I ordered an Ikea stand for my daughter and I figure the stand is gonna be pretty flimsy.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    I like hockey pucks.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like hockey pucks.

There's a Don Rickles joke there someplace...
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I like hockey pucks.

You do know that is racist, don't cha?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I like hockey pucks.

Why Mr Hardy, I do believe you infringed on my intellectual property, fine sir. (Foghorn Leghorrn voice)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Back to the topic...

I have put the hard rubber feet that you get from HD for cabinet door bumps on the bottom of bookies to save furniture. I also have the SVS SB16 beast decoupled from the floor with isolation feet so sometimes it works to a benefit
    I would say for a General purpose, it makes sense.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @joecoulson not sure I follow what you are saying
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Bruce most the time coupling or de-coupling predominately effects the lower end with positive or negative results pending on speakers and situation...ie tightens up bass or feeds the room with more when lacking

I'm a proponent of decoupling the rack and isolation it from the effects of the speakers vibrations in the room

Overall either way is one of the cheapest tweeks to try both
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I would just like to point out that hockey pucks was (were) on topic. :|

They're more of the decoupling kind of interface -- at least, I think so.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I would just like to point out that hockey pucks was (were) on topic. :|

They're more of the decoupling kind of interface -- at least, I think so.

I’ve read (after the subject of hockey pucks came up previously) that they are indeed used for decoupling. The advantage is that they are well regulated for material properties. Kinda an industry standard. Some large equipment (HVAC) installers actually recommend them to isolate the machines during installation.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Mr Hardy. Yes you are correct sir. It was shenanigans by others that caused said derailment
    AB, I imagine you are placing the speakers on the ikea shelf and my point was that cabinet door bumpers are great for the bottom of bookies because they don’t slide and they will mostly eliminate cabinet resonance from those flimsy back panels. Make sense?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @joecoulson so softer feet are gonna be better?
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @joecoulson so softer feet are gonna be better?

Yes who likes hard crusty feet :s

• txcoastal1
    Options
    n547xq63pxqa.gif

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    What is wrong with you people? :D
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I never really got the "couple/decouple" thing

You want the speakers to be on as rigid and immobile a foundation as possible, that means coupled to the floor (or wall or ceiling) as tightly as possible. The only vibrations you want coming from the speaker cabinet are those caused by the drivers and tweeters. Cabinet movement is a source of unwanted vibration that will color the sound of the speakers. My 2 channel system speakers are coupled to the floor by the weight of the speakers (180 pounds). They are coupled to the wall behind them by a metal rod.

For source components and amps, you want to decouple the chassis from the vibrations in the room caused by sound waves. Mechanical vibration can induce electrical noise in electrical circuits and cause effects that are audible (e.g. decreased detail, decreased clarity, diminished imaging, and diminished sound staging). I use a combination of isolation platforms, cone feet, and sheets of damping material inside the case to isolate my electronics from room vibrations.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    9mqq3gevagwr.jpg

I see you're rockin red polish today, burnt? Not sure if it works, IMO. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @verb no that's their natural color
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @DarqueKnight I told my daughter that we would set the speakers on cinder blocks if they were not at the right height on the stand. I was kidding her but maybe not??? Anyone know where to get decarative cinder blocks?
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you go with cinder blocks, I think you are pretty much required by law to put pine
    boards across them as shelves, and to put a decorative Ficus plant and a Breuer chair nearby as well. I believe shag carpeting is only recommended, not mandated.

xnkenbpkhudg.png

6k5mldg2jbzd.png

(oh, yeah, and I forgot the macrame hanging plant basket; how could I?)

• afterburnt
    Options
    @mhardy6647 that's nice but needs a cable reel coffee table
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Keep 'em coupled! :)
    tpd6sw8c7ha1.gif
  • afterburnt
    Options
    That system rocks
  • deronb1
    Options
    @DarqueKnight I told my daughter that we would set the speakers on cinder blocks if they were not at the right height on the stand. I was kidding her but maybe not??? Anyone know where to get decarative cinder blocks?

No, but I know where to get black paint
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I was wondering who would pop the black paint reminder 1st.... hahaha

• deronb1
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I was wondering who would pop the black paint reminder 1st.... hahaha

Couldn't resist! :)