Oppo BDP-95 is in Verb's house!

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited November 2018 in Electronics
I know quite a few of you guys have already been down this path. Most, according to the threads, have moved on. Way ahead of me on my journey! :smile:
h9dqr808kr4k.png

For me, the idea of a universal player is appealing. One that plays CD's, but as I dip my toes into the SACD/DVD-A/BluRay Audio world this seemed like the perfect step. Got this baby (minty in the box with all accessories) for a steal on CL a few months back, been sitting in the basement, finally pulled it out and connected it to my basement system. My intention is to use it for 2 channel audio.

For the maiden voyage, I played Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD (karma'd from Drew @Clipdat a while ago). All I can say so far is Wow! Incredible detail! Next up is Best of Scorpions SACD (karma'd from Jimmy @Viking64) later tonight or tomorrow. And, I have Rush 2112 in BluRay format as well! Yes, another rabbit hole!

Just ordered Queensryche's Empire on DVD-A! :smile:

Below are the compatible formats this baby will accept:
733hh7640gvl.png

Here she is installed in my basement rig. Playing Alan Parsons On Air CD!
xlowafnzqpi1.png

I do have the Marantz CD6006 still connected. Last night I was doing some quick A/B comparisons with normal CD's. There is a definite difference is sound between the two. More to come on that, as I spend some more time with it.

What fun! Any insights from those further along this journey is always appreciated! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
Post edited by verb on

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2018
    You're ahead of me Dave. I bought an Oppo BDP-93 last spring off of Craig's List.

I hesitated on my 205 order and the time ran out. I forgot how long I had and lost my email coupon due to date expiration. :s I finally went to order it and couldn't.

I did audition my 93 with some Steely Dan and my 93 seemed solid and the sound was very nice too. B) High quality players for sure!

Here's mine waiting for me to finish up outside projects before the weather gets too cold. :#:'(
    jjtwdrb1nayy.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    It looks like this model is also eligible for ModWright upgrades if you should get that desire to mod it later on down the line: http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-95-truth-tube-mod.php
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It looks like this model is also eligible for ModWright upgrades if you should get that desire to mod it later on down the line: http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-95-truth-tube-mod.php

Yeah I seen that! Wow! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Playing Queensryche Empire on DVD-A tonight!
    2fuvidizhacw.jpeg
  • I’ve had each and every one of the “lower line” Blu-Ray players that Oppo has made. From the BDP-83 to the BDP-93 and then finally the BDP-103. Each one got progressively better than the last. I began with one of their DVD combi players and then jumped to Blu-ray the minute they introduced the BDP-83. Right now I have a UDP-205 which I ran out and put on layaway at Magnolia Hi Fi ten minutes after they announced they were transitioning out of business. You will enjoy your BDP-95 for years to come I promise you.
    Especially when you discover that players streaming capabilities with Hi Rez music!
  • How did the Dark Side of the Moon SACD sound in stereo on those SRS’s?????????
    Enquiring minds HAVE TO KNOW!!
  • verb
    edited November 2018
    Thanks @honestaquarian my brother. I’m enjoying the heck out it! Man what a difference between the DVD-A and my dusty old original CD! Wow!
    Post edited by verb on
  • verb
    Funny just as Della Brown was about to play, the Mrs calls me (yes calls me on the phone) while I'm in the basement, and, well, fellas you know the rest. Time to shut er down! Back upstairs on the nearfield rig. Come on, we're both off this week! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    I still don't understand why she gets bothered by the basement system, are you listening at 90+db or something?
  • verb
    How did the Dark Side of the Moon SACD sound in stereo on those SRS’s?????????
    Enquiring minds HAVE TO KNOW!!

Blew me away. The subtle beginnings of every song was something I never heard with such clarity before! Soundstage way extended. More more detail, bass extended. In my newbie vernacular - Blew me away!

I'm late to this SACD thing, but the search is on! :smile:
  • verb
    I still don't understand why she gets bothered by the basement system, are you listening at 90+db or something?

The bass rattles the house my man! No SPL meter, but the VTL pre was at about 10 o'clock :smile:
  • Clipdat
    verb wrote: »
    The bass rattles the house my man!

Oh you haven't seen bass rattling anything yet until I come over with some test tracks!

Glad you are enjoying those big boys! :)
  • verb
    verb wrote: »
    The bass rattles the house my man!

Oh you haven't seen bass rattling anything yet until I come over with some test tracks!

Glad you are enjoying those big boys! :)

Well you're always welcome! In the meantime, let me know your playlist. The bass on these beasties are really kicking it! :smile:
  • Have you gotten used to the sub bass appearing on stuff that you didn’t even know had it yet?
    One of the benefits of speakers which are capable of extended bass that dips below 20hz (and there ain’t that many speakers out there which don’t cost several times what these did new. Which are capable of subterranean bass)
  • If there is one component that can show you what I was talking about above, it’s the Oppo on some SACD’s or DVD-A’s. Just remember it’ll likely be easier to find SACD’s than DVD-A’s nowadays
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Put a 95 in my 2 channel a few months ago. I know just how you feel.