LSi9's for $350

jayu969
jayu969 Posts: 112
Found a pair of the LSi9's pretty close to me for $350. As long as they are in good shape is this a good price?

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    That’s a good price... I may wait to find some a little lower, but the LSi line is really awesome. At their current going rates, they are incredible bang for buck.
    If you could talk him down $50 or so that would remove any hesitation for me, other than that I don’t need them and don’t have the money. But that’s me, not you. :)
  • jayu969
    Thanks for the input. Will sharpen up my negotiating skills. :-)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    $350 is a great price IMO. If you can get them for less, even better.

Make sure you have enough juice to drive them though as they are not an efficient speaker.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • jayu969
    Good point on amplifier power.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    My girlfriend is using my LSi-9's currently with a Pioneer Elite Receiver and they're sounding real fine. More power would make them jump of course but they are a nice speaker, and like the LSi-7 really good bang for the buck. If you had a little more jing you could step up to the LSiM-703 (for five to six hundy seems like from time to time) which is even better and would be more efficient to boot. Of course, unless you get free shipping - which we were getting with the recent deals - then a local pair of 9's has advantages because shipping ain't cheap anymore. (Unless you found a local pair of LSiM-703's)
  • jayu969
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  • I am considering a Marantz NR1608 amp for setting up 5.1. I have had the LSI-9's in storage for many years and would love to use them again, but because of my current financial situation, cannot pony up for a high powered, high dollar amp to drive them...thus they have just been collecting dust. Very frustrating, as they are beautiful speakers.

Any opinions as to whether or not the Marantz NR1608 could handle these 4 ohm speakers? Obviously, do not want to damage them. I welcome any opinions!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I am considering a Marantz NR1608 amp for setting up 5.1. I have had the LSI-9's in storage for many years and would love to use them again, but because of my current financial situation, cannot pony up for a high powered, high dollar amp to drive them...thus they have just been collecting dust. Very frustrating, as they are beautiful speakers.

Any opinions as to whether or not the Marantz NR1608 could handle these 4 ohm speakers? Obviously, do not want to damage them. I welcome any opinions!

Nope, it won't, but you don't need to spend your retirement account for an amp. Look at some used amps from Parasound, B&k, Sunfire/Carver, etc. Many can be had from 200-500 bucks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    I am considering a Marantz NR1608 amp for setting up 5.1. I have had the LSI-9's in storage for many years and would love to use them again, but because of my current financial situation, cannot pony up for a high powered, high dollar amp to drive them...thus they have just been collecting dust. Very frustrating, as they are beautiful speakers.

Nope, it won't, but you don't need to spend your retirement account for an amp. Look at some used amps from Parasound, B&k, Sunfire/Carver, etc. Many can be had from 200-500 bucks.

Agreed, I found an Adcom GFA545 for $120 recapped on my local Craig's list. You never know what you will find, just be patient and check often.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member