Laptop

Looking for a cheap laptop. The 2 things I need it to do is have a touchscreen and a cd/dvd drive. Decent speakers would be a bonus on it. Let me know what you have collecting dust. No apple btw.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That’s an unusual combo at this point tony, touch and optical. Why not just get an external optical drive for 25 bucks? That would give u a lot more options...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yeah, I could do that I guess, but the built in drive would help with the grandkids. It's not that unusual as I've seen plenty on Craigslist, but wanted to ask here first.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Most 'putes modern enough to have a touchscreen aren't gonna have an optical drive. The latter are considered old fashioned. :(

... and just try finding a laptop with vacuum tubes!
  • rooftop59
    edited November 2018
    Plenty with a touchscreen and an optical drive??? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one...

Now, one or the other sure. But never both that I have seen, though I am sure there is one out there, somewhere...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    Sure there is, HP makes 'em, as some others. I'd be open to ones without the dvd drive, depending on the deal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Plenty with a touchscreen and an optical drive??? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one...

Now, one or the other sure. But never both that I have seen, though I am sure there is one out there, somewhere...

Yup, I'm typing on one now. The touchscreen was nice when I got some liquid on the internal keyboard but other than that I don't use it. I do like having a CD/DVD drive, makes it convenient...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Yeah, that combo is still considered rather 'new', and likely expensive. Are used ones already hitting the secondary market?

Heck, our laptops at work don't even come with a CD/DVD drive anymore.

I know this doesn't fit Tony's requirements, but my last such purchase ended-up being a Chromebook. Cheap, light, long battery life; in the end, I just needed something to browse the internet while sitting on the couch or in bed. I have an Android phone, so easy transition. I still have a desktop for heavy lifting.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited November 2018
    Tony, not for sale, but keep an eye out for one like mine. It's a 2016 model Dell Inspiron 15 3558 Laptop. It has both CD/DVD drive and touch screen. I never use either, except for the first week I had it. I find it more inconvenient to move my hand all the way up to the screen, rather than just using a Bluetooth mouse. And fingerprints on my screen drive me insane. It's been very reliable, with only one issue, the wifi antenna broke at the hinges and thanks to the help of a couple forum members, I worked around the problem with an inexpensive usb wifi adapter. I always suspected someone bumped the screen and extended the hinges further than they were meant to go, but no one fessed up. Dells are made to individual specs if ordered online, so not all models are the same. But for what it's worth, if you found a used one like mine, I think you'd be happy. Mine has been used daily since I bought it.

edit: What I mean by not all models are the same is... you and I could order the same model number, but they could have completely different specs. That's what makes Dell models confusing. You pick and choose what you want on the model when ordering one.
  • rooftop59
    Well there ya go. Hard to beat this deal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-15-3558-Laptop-Widnows-10-Intel-i3-5th-4GB-1TB-HDD/223223195457?hash=item33f923a741:g:upoAAOSwypZb5J65

And while I know u don’t love eBay, this is a much better deal that buying off Craigslist. With eBay you get 45 days to evaluate it, and if it turns out to be not as described then you can return it for a refund minus return shipping...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Check out Fry's black Friday sale. They have a 15" HP touch screen, amd quad core listed for 297 with dvd-rw.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    Thanks for the heads up Brian.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Tony,
    Depending on your budget you can get a 15" Dell Inspiron from Costco. Touchscreen & DVD drive.

The nice part is the extra year of warranty for free.
  • tonyb
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Tony,
    Depending on your budget you can get a 15" Dell Inspiron from Costco. Touchscreen & DVD drive.

The nice part is the extra year of warranty for free.

Did not know that about the extra year, thanks pal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's