AVR and integrated amp use same remote codes

The one thing that's preventing me from true integration of my hybrid 2-channel/5.1 HT system is the fact that my integrated amp and AVR - both Marantz - both respond to either remote . For HT, I need both on, but for music, I just need the integrated.

Comments

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Does your Marantz AVR of have the option of changing the remote code? I know my Pioneers had the option for this specific problem. it was buried in the setup menu.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Oooor, you could get up out yet chair and press the button on the face...
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Does your Marantz AVR of have the option of changing the remote code? I know my Pioneers had the option for this specific problem. it was buried in the setup menu.

No. I've been through both manuals and even contacted Marantz. Their answer:

Unfortunately, the Power commands for both the receiver and the PM are the same. To get independent power control, you would have to block (cover) the front IR Sensor on one of the units and then use an external IR extender going into the IR Flasher port.

I'm not sure how that's going to change anything, if the commands are the same.
  • mdaudioguy
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Wait, you can do that? Novel idea!
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    Which Marantz units?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

LOL, was thinking the same thing.....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    stevep wrote: »
    Which Marantz units?
    NR1608 and PM-14S1.
  • mdaudioguy
    tonyb wrote: »

Well, of course, so was I! I mean, I do make do. If your aim is just right, you can hit one box with IR, while missing the other one a mere foot away - that's only for expert remote operators, however! I try to explain this to friends and family, but they just look at me like I'm crazy. At least, I think that's why...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Y’all clearly don’t have young children lol. I think this is his hybrid setup, which likely means other family members need to be able to control it...and getting everything to the right input is not as simple as pushing a button ya numbskulls :p
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mdaudioguy
    ^^^ Bingo! Which is better, 6 remotes or 1? I just want to make things simpler for the lay folk.

It's funny, I liked the idea of using the same brand for electronics (AVR, amp, and DAC), but I wouldn't have this issue if I went with different brands.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I would just use the HDMI ARC feature and control the Marantz from the TV controller. However that's in a perfect world and you still have to use two remotes ha. Best of luck finding something that works!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mdaudioguy
    HT/TV control is pretty much ok, as I need both the AVR and amp on and the Harmony remote handles all that just fine.

I've discovered the ability to switch the amp between Power Amp Direct mode and normal integrated mode with the Harmony remote. Marantz said this could not be done, and their remote won't do it! However, my Harmony remote doesn't have enough customization ability to create a single-button activity for music listening.
  • stevep
    The Harmony Hub would let you send IR signals to various IR blasters by device so you could send the AVR IR to only the AVR and the PM-14S1 IR commands to it.

Plus you don't have to train people to keep pointing the remote until the commands finish and you can run things from a phone or tablet.

What I don't know is if you can directly feed the IR blaster signal into either Marantz via they IR blaster inputs.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Y’all clearly don’t have young children lol. I think this is his hybrid setup, which likely means other family members need to be able to control it...and getting everything to the right input is not as simple as pushing a button ya numbskulls :p

Actually, we do, and the ones that don't have wives that get confused if asked to push more than 2 buttons. Some of us may even do it on purpose, to keep the kids away from messing with our gear.

Nature of the beast when you have a combined HT/2channel. Want to make it easy as pie ? Simplify your system, it isn't hard.

Buy one higher end HT processor, which most are pretty good for 2 channel also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Actually, we do, and the ones that don't have wives that get confused if asked to push more than 2 buttons.
    To be clear, while my wife might not be certified for advanced remote operation, I'm pretty sure she's good up to about 7 clicks. After that, everybody in the room should duck!!
  • mdaudioguy
    I asked Marantz to explain how to implement their suggested solution of blocking the IR port and using an external IR extender, since the commands should be the same whether extended or not.

Their response:

I do not see a way to do so besides covering the ir sensor. There are not different.

Thank You,

Sound United
    Customer Support

:|

I will find a solution to this first world problem! ;)
  • stevep
    edited October 2018
    Did you look at RC Lock function in the manual? The wording is twisted but looking at the Service Manual for the NR1608 it looks like it disables the internal IR receiver while still accepting remote commands from the external input.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I've heard of First World Problems -- this one's a 21st Century Problem.

:p
  • mdaudioguy
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's a no go, as is, but I think a Harmony Hub will be the solution, since it should allow me to separately control these devices.
  • mdaudioguy
    I FINALLY have a solution. Bought a (refurbished) Harmony 950 remote and hub. It took a considerable amount of time to get it right, but I'm finally there. I connected 1 port on the hub directly to the IR Flasher input on the Marantz receiver (ever shop for a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono cable??). The default Power On and Off functions had to be reprogrammed to properly control the Marantz integrated - ironically, using another Harmony remote, since the Marantz remote will not toggle Power Amp Direct on and off. Marantz didn't think things through when programming this integrated remote, however, Harmony gave me the ability to customize, and everything works great!
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Congratulations you finally got it straightened out!
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G