TSx 550t's!

Can anyone answer this definitively for me- I currently have the TSx 440t towers as my front channel being driven by my DENON AVRX2100 as part of a 7.1 system. If I upgrade to the TSx 550t's, is that receiver still capable of of driving the 550's efficiently? I may be upgrading the receiver soon as well- possibly with the YAMAHA RX2070. Please let me know!

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Yes you AVR can drive the 550T. Unless your getting a sweet deal on them I'd stick with what you have. The 440t is not a bad speaker at all.

Now if you really want to upgrade save up for some Signatures and real amps.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • actually, I have a lead on a pair of the 550's, brand new for $139 apiece! No brainer!?!? And just so I am clear, my current receiver will handle the 550's with ease? I'm looking to upgrade the receiver soon as well, so that will only help.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Your AVR will work. Keep a sane hand on the volume knob.

If you are talking about the 550s on the Polk ebay store, that is a fine price, especially since you'll also get the full warranty.
  • well, I got em! $280 for the pair seems crazy. Couldnt pass that up. Again, does anyone see an issue with my current DENON 2100 driving the 550's nicely? Wanted to add that I have been steered away from the standard Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer avr upgrade, and instead am focusing on the SONY ES series or an INTEGRA DRX avr. Any thoughts?
  • mrloren
    TSX550t are a very nice speaker, I remember a few coworkers and I played with them at Fry's during lunch one day. They were hooked up to a lower end Yamaha, we A/B compared them with RTi-8/10. Overall I liked the 550t better.

For AVR Sony are great for music but not so much on movies. Last Sony I owned in my house was a 5700ES. Couldn't be beat for music but movies a $300 Onkyo was better. If you have a Fry's near by sign up for the promo code, they are clearing out the Denon AVR-X4400H , looks to be on sale every other week.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Im glad you brought up the 4400H. I was looking at both that and the newer 4500H. Salesman at BB basically steered me away from anything DENON, PIONEER,MARANTZ, or YAMAHA claiming that really only the INTEGRAS and the SONY ES series have separate dacs for each channel where those other brands have only one serving all channels, thereby supposedly creating better sound and providing more detail. How accurate is that? Also, why does the SONY ES fall short on movies? Im also very interested in the INTEGRA DRX-4.2.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Use your best judgement. My experience with BB is they tend steer you to what they make the highest profit on. Ever notice all the rockeyfish stuff? Ours stopped carrying any name brand better cables the rocketfish stuff isn't any cheaper but there is a 10,000% markup on them.
  • Totally get that, Dogg. They aren’t the only ones guilty of that though. I do absorb what I learn from them, but also do my own research, and read all I can about a certain component I’m interested in. And I look to all of you guys in this forum to help with this process. Which I always appreciate the variety of viewpoints.
  • All that being said, I believe I am going to upgrade to the SONY STR-ZA3100ES. It appears to be quite the receiver, and at a more comfortable $$ level. I also have a brand new pair of the TSx550t’s arriving soon, to replace my 440’s. Should sound amazing, right? (Anyone interested in a MINT pair of 440’s?!)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    polkerfan wrote: »
    All that being said, I believe I am going to upgrade to the SONY STR-ZA3100ES. It appears to be quite the receiver, and at a more comfortable $$ level. I also have a brand new pair of the TSx550t’s arriving soon, to replace my 440’s. Should sound amazing, right? (Anyone interested in a MINT pair of 440’s?!)

Careful, skirting the rules....
  • Totally apologize. Did not mean to overstep.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Good to see you are doing your homework and getting some solid advice here. We are good at helping you spend money!
  • Thanks for that!! I’d also like opinions on switching from my OWM5’s as my rear surround to the TSx 110’s, and possibly my OWM3’s (front height channel) with another pair of the 110’s. Too much? Or just stick with the OWM’s?
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    edited November 2018
    What's your sub?
    What's your center?
    What's the size & layout of the room?

All that said, remember that the most important parts , the foundation, of a good HT system are the 3.1 parts.
  • Room size, approx. 16x11 finished room in basement, front channel-POLK TSx 440’t’s(soon upgraded to the 550t’s), center-POLK TSx250c, being driven currently by a Denon AVRX2100 (soon to be upgraded to possibly a SONY 3100ES). Don’t have a sub at this point.
  • mrloren
    edited November 2018
    Im glad you brought up the 4400H. I was looking at both that and the newer 4500H. Salesman at BB basically steered me away from anything DENON, PIONEER,MARANTZ, or YAMAHA claiming that really only the INTEGRAS and the SONY ES series have separate dacs for each channel where those other brands have only one serving all channels, thereby supposedly creating better sound and providing more detail. How accurate is that? Also, why does the SONY ES fall short on movies? Im also very interested in the INTEGRA DRX-4.2.

I use to work for Sony, we got big discounts on most AV gear. My last unit was a 5700ES, I think it was a 2011 model. Before that was a 5300ES. The 5300ES had recall so Sony gave me the 5700, Helps with warranty when the guy one the phone was a coworker. the 5700ES took a dump so I got an Onkyo while the 5700 was being repaired. Everyone who heard the Onkyo said it sounds great more open, balanced and dynamic than my Sony, Just the Onkyo could not come close to the Sony for music.

I wound up replacing the 5700ES with a Marantz SR5010 full time. After learning how to dial in Audyssey XT it sounded much better on movies like the Onkyo and matched the Sony on music. I've now replaced the SR5010 with a Denon 4400H. This is one sweet AVR. I don't miss the Sony at all. I would have gone for the Marantz SR6011 but I was also tired of that darn port hole.

With the above said depending on the price point I would go with a Denon (AVR-X3XXXH and up), Marantz or Yamaha Aventage over a Sony ES unless I was getting the Sony at my employee price.

You will need a good sub. HSU and SVS are a good bang for the buck sub. A lot of people on this forum have them. TSX550T might have two 8" drivers but they will not come close to the bass output of a decent sub. I would actually get a good sub before replacing the AVR.

If you can swing it the TSX110 would be a better choice for surrounds
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Congrats.

I Always liked the look of the 550's.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    A year or two ago somebody here in Wilm. posted a set of them on our Craig's list but wanted 500.00 a pair I think it was. I researched the reviews and they were very positive back then.

Then he reduced it by 50.00 a month. He said he was moving. I wonder if he eventually sold his pair.

I was tempted to just go listen to them but I didn't.

The last I saw was like 300.00 or so. :/
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Hey, guys. I actually just found a pair, BRAND NEW, still in the box in of all places POLKS EBay store! I had been looking all over for them, thought I had looked there, but this past weekend, there they were-$139 a piece!! They are being shipped as we speak. Full factory warranty. Can’t wait.
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited December 2018
    Salesman at BB basically steered me away from anything DENON, PIONEER,MARANTZ, or YAMAHA claiming that really only the INTEGRAS and the SONY ES series have separate dacs for each channel where those other brands have only one serving all channels, thereby supposedly creating better sound and providing more detail.

I would say that's not entirely accurate. It's not that one DAC is being used for all channels in those brands. It's that the "multi-channel" DAC chip has become ubiquitous nowadays including in Integras. In fact, the 6 channel AKM 4458 found in most Denons and Marantz AVRs is used in Integras until you spend about $2,500. Above that price point, you get a stereo DAC for the front L/R with the remaining channels relying again on the 4458 "multi-channel" DAC.

DACs are important, but I think overall build quality plays a larger role. As companies transform AVRs into the ultimate swiss army knife of HT, various corners were cut in other ways, notably in the virtual disappearance of discrete amp channels. Basically, anyone who has bought and owned a D+M product of late will tell you something is amiss unless you buy the ones that are still made in Japan.

But, the X4XXX Denon with a retail price of $1600 has the same DACs as a similarly priced Integra. FYI. Also, the Audyssey calibration with MultEQ editor App along with HEOS built into the AVRs are big selling points for me anyway.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    So, how's it going with the new TSx550ts?

I always wondered how these sounded compared to the RTi line, and whether they were smoother for music.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    msg wrote: »
    So, how's it going with the new TSx550ts?

I always wondered how these sounded compared to the RTi line, and whether they were smoother for music.

a lot smoother
  • Hey, everyone. Hope all had a great Xmas. As far as my system goes, I believe it is finally complete. I have no knowledge of how the RTi's sound. My new YAMAHA RX-A3080 is a monster, and it is surrounded by the TSx 550t's, two pairs of TSx 110b's (surround back and front height), with the TSx 250c center, and my new DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PRO sub 800. Although it isn't what I'd call a 'high end' system, this system absolutely rocks! Clean, crisp, and the added low end and increase in detail that the DEF TECH sub helps provide, makes a for a truly enjoyable experience, both movie wise, as well as music. I recently removed my Audioquest optical from tv to avr, and instead am just using my existing Audioquest hdmi with the audio return channel, and somehow it seems to have increased the surround stage noticeably. I thank you guys alot for all the knowledge and insight in helping bring together this system.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Fantastic, glad to hear you're enjoying the system. Yeah, that Yamaha sure looks pretty burly with lots of neat features.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    @polkerfan it is now time for you to post a picture of your system.

I've always liked the TSX550t very nice speaker smooth with a mellow top end. We did a side by side at Fry's for an hour with RTi8. The TSX550t was sooooo much smoother. I was hoping there would have been a clearance but then the Signature line came along. Rest is history.