Phone cloning

Anyone out there have experience cloning a phone? Dropped mine last night and broke the screen (I can and will repair it to use as a backup). Found a few of the same model on the Bay, and since I like this phone a lot, I was wondering how difficult it would be to mirror it to another phone. What if anything do you use?

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Android, I'm guessing? Depends what you mean by clone, but usually when you sign onto the new phone the first time, it will download all your apps. A lot of settings and photos are backed up to the cloud. Anything else I copy off to a PC and transfer that way.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited November 2018
    Take it to your service provider. they will make a new SIM card for it and assign the new ESN to your account. Cloning is almost a dead practice now unless your phone still uses a NAM chip
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I have nothing on the cloud, not a fan. I currently have a z958 and want to purchase another and basically switch from broken to "new" without having to reset anything. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited November 2018
    Take it to your service provider. they will make a new SIM card for it and assign the new ESN to your account. Cloning is almost a dead practice now unless your phone still uses a NAM chip

Really depends on what service he has, or what you even mean by cloning. I haven't set foot in an AT&T store for ages (at least 3 or 4 or 5 phones ago). I'm a phone junkie. I go thru phones like some of y'all go through speakers. GSM phones don't require any provider involvement. Remove SIM card from old phone, insert into new. Go.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Samsung has a cloning utility for their phones that uses USB. Usually when I upgrade at the service provider they do it for me. It will copy the apps, contacts, picture gallery, and other stuff. The clone app can be customized. It don't think it can copy stuff on the SD card, but I can physically transfer that. Only thing it doesn't copy is app data (game saves).
  • FestYboy
    That's how I am right now (at&t go phone). But still very new to the smart phone world. So Ed, what you're saying is: get the fhon I'm after and swap in my SIM, then transfer all other data from phone to phone? Or treat new phone like a storage device first, copy data then add sim card?
  • mdaudioguy
    Yep. Either order should work fine.
  • FestYboy
    Excellent. Thanks Ed :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    There are also apps that transfer some of your goodies. Samsung and Tracfone have one. Download them from google and they can transfer most of the stuff. Mostly pictures, contacts and texts. Obviously this will not help you now but I've used both before with good success. I can't remember if they will do apps and such.
  • Besides that, signing into google to restore apps and data and memos, for next go around, if you have Norton antivirus or the like on it, you back up contacts there too. Also has a wipe feature if you were to lose it, to protect your private stuff.
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • Krenf wrote: »
    if you have Norton antivirus or the like on it, you back up contacts there too.
    Is this feature only in Norton?
    If I use another antivirus, for example, from this https://antivirus-review.com
    list, I can not do that?

I do not know. I would imagine there are plenty of options for restoring old data. I know phone makers have em as well. This was my avenue a couple times either with new phone or rebooting old one. I found as well, when the phone ages, it burns up all the RAM n u have to clean said phone daily, and rebooting took all that garbage back down. From floating between 67-87% full pre reboot to 40 - 60 %. So I may do it again awaiting the higher RAM phones to come down in price again.
    Good luck on it.
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar