ModWright OPPO UDP-205

Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
edited October 2018 in Electronics
Well it’s here, unfortunately I won’t really have time to spend with it till this weekend but here are some pics,
3e2hhp7j3p0s.jpeg
j54c72pv0cep.jpeg
Post edited by Toolfan66 on

Comments

• Toolfan66
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    That is a sweet looking 205... look forward to your impressions.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Ok curiosity has grabbed a hold of me..
    I wonder who makes their film caps?
    That is some good looking stuff Larry.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

They are built by specs by Dan. Each are measured to meet spec before installed.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    VERY NICE!!
    thanks Ron.
  • Toolfan66
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I wondered the same thing about the caps when I popped the hood, it is all very well done and built, I don’t see where any one thing was sacrificed for the sake of saving a buck..

• Toolfan66
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I've only heard positive things about Modwright work and their attention to detail.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2018
    Nice! Congrats and enjoy!

Dan's tube regulated power supply is well designed and uses quality components. Clean power. I used upgraded tubes in the PS.

I've owned his SWP 9.0SE, Sony 999ES with tube reg PS, Sony 9100ES with tube reg PS and his SWLP 9.0SE with Blue face, tube reg PS and built in phono. I had one issue with a PS which he corrected quickly.

mbrwklx2g7of.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Very nice! Looking forward to hear your review.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Dang! Very very nice
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Way nice! Congrats!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Toolfan66
    Thanks Guys!!!! Can't wait to set it up...
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2018
    h5bt7g7f981m.jpeg

And it’s supposed to only get better after 200 hours??? I can’t freakin wait!!!

Talk about taking it to a whole new level, I have that feeling again like I did when I just got started in this hobby, it’s been a long time since I have felt this way..
  • Toolfan66
    x8opfruqcx6h.jpeg

You make loving fun, one of my favorite discs...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Does the modification eliminate multi-channel analog out?
  • Toolfan66
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Does the modification eliminate multi-channel analog out?

No..

• Do these particular mods only affect the audio performance?
    Or does the video get improved as well?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Where's the blue goop?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Do these particular mods only affect the audio performance?
    Or does the video get improved as well?

Audio only, 2 channel side...
    F1nut wrote: »
    Where's the blue goop?

Blue goop?? I know nothing of blue goop..

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    F1nut wrote: »
    Where's the blue goop?

Or the black RFI tape :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    hjwxjc4us6ro.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2018
    Ok, someone fill me in... :#

Edit: a little search and I caught on.. LOL!!! I never saw that thread, glad Dan dosen't do work like that..
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I’m curious if you ever let the stock 205 fully run -in prior to sending to Dan...
    . . I just hooked mine up and it’s bright and harsh, but smoooothing out slowly ....

Did you get the full Monty? ie MW balls-to-the-walls treatment?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2018
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I’m curious if you ever let the stock 205 fully run -in prior to sending to Dan...
    . . I just hooked mine up and it’s bright and harsh, but smoooothing out slowly ....

Did you get the full Monty? ie MW balls-to-the-walls treatment?

The first one I purchased yes I did, the second one I purchased that I was lucky to get during their last runs is the one I sent to ModWright, no I did not let it fully run, but it now has about 100hrs on it, and still sounds fantastic..

I did everything but the region free upgrade, I will never use it....

Also I figure I can apply my own blue goop, and hockey tape for better sound... :wink:

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Also I figure I can apply my own blue goop, and hockey tape for better sound... :wink:

Don't forget to cover every square millimeter of the inside with a green Sharpie, just to be safe. :p
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Ok, someone fill me in... :#

Edit: a little search and I caught on.. LOL!!! I never saw that thread, glad Dan dosen't do work like that..

Your right, I dont :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)