Speaker wire for Pre Out signal?

Question: Is it possible to use speaker wire as an RCA cable for the pre out signal from the Receiver to the External Amp?

I have my speaker wire ran in the walls, and dont like the idea of having wires ran all over the floor. Is it possible, if I wanted to have the external amps next to the speakers themselves and run the pre out signal using the speaker wire in the wall?

On a side note, its all 12g red/black lines. Is there any actual benefit from doing this? Was curious if having a shorter speaker run and "expensive speaker cables" would actually warrant a better sound experience. Or is it snake oil?
Home Theater Setup
  • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
  • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
  • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
  • Center - Polk CSiA6
  • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
  • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
  • Sub - SVS PC-4000
  • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    RCA cables are shielded, speaker cable isn't. Therefore, you cannot use speaker cable.

There's nothing snake oil about high end cable only people that can't afford them, don't have gear with enough resolution to benefit from them or are deaf.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    As @F1nut said -- in a word (OK, three words): umm, yeah, no.

Speaker cable (zip) cord could be used if one 'unzipped' the two conductors, made a twisted pair of wires from them (with the insulation still on, of course) then stripped and tinned the ends and soldered RCA connectors to each end of each twisted pair... but the result would most likely be inferior to any good unbalanced cable you can buy.

Just buy the cables you need and run 'em through the wall if you wish; did you install a 'plenum' for the speaker cabling when you built the room (or had it built)?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Where are the rest of the electronics located ? There are other options to tidy up cables so that visually they are barely noticed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    it was mainly just question I was thinking about. Didnt know if it was possible. Makes sense why it wouldnt be, just wasnt sure if I was missing something. I personally would probably never need to have my external amps like that as I'm not running super high end equipment in a dedicated sound room. This is all in my living room where environmental corrections would work wonders before upgrading to fancy speak wires
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'm confused....if everything is in your living room, why do you have in-wall speaker wires to the fronts ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Theheadsn
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm confused....if everything is in your living room, why do you have in-wall speaker wires to the fronts ?

My media rack is in a different location. Have the TV and speakers located by my fireplace, receiver and the like are on the adjacent wall. Recently redid the house, so I was able to run everything in the walls.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• Theheadsn
    DSkip wrote: »
    Theheadsn wrote: »
    it was mainly just question I was thinking about. Didnt know if it was possible. Makes sense why it wouldnt be, just wasnt sure if I was missing something. I personally would probably never need to have my external amps like that as I'm not running super high end equipment in a dedicated sound room. This is all in my living room where environmental corrections would work wonders before upgrading to fancy speak wires

Room correction only focuses on tonal balance where the mic is located. It does nothing to improve stereophonic elements and in most cases the program can be detrimental to those elements. I spent hours doing corrections at AXPONA and had to throw it all out due to a soundstage completely stuck between the speakers. I got rid of the corrections and the soundstage pushed well beyond the walls in the sweet spot.

Cables improve these elements.

I know this probably doesn't matter given the situation but I did want to touch on it some.

I mean more of physical objects in my living room. My living room/kitchen/dining room is all open concept, all tile floor, not a lot of furniture. So right now its sonically an audiophiles nightmare, if not just a headache lol I understand I wont be able to dial it in like I had my garage BECAUSE its a living room, but hopefully I'll be able to get more ways to reduce reflection
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    why not just put the amp next to the AVR?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Theheadsn
    mrloren wrote: »

it is now. Was just curious if having a short over expensive speaker wire with the amp right next to the speaker would actually show any noticeable differences
    Home Theater Setup
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited October 2018
    Theheadsn wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

it is now. Was just curious if having a short over expensive speaker wire with the amp right next to the speaker would actually show any noticeable differences

It will not sound better. I would go the other way. A medium to good quality (or the sky is the limit) shortest possible RCA cable between your preamp and amp. Then cheap large gauge speaker cables (to start). Upgrade your speaker cables when you think you need to. Or just be happy with your AV setup.

It has to do with the impedance between components. Long RCA cables are much more problematic than even longer speaker wires.