AV Receiver to Integrated Amp Question

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ok, well even Oppo said it wasn't that good. That's why they made the 205.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited October 2018
    A lot of people are paying 3 or more times MSRP to get one used now. The sound can't be too bad.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2018
    The 203 is an excellent video player, which is why people are buying that model. The only difference between the 203 and 205 is the audio quality. That's why the 205 was much more expensive.

I'm just trying to help you get quality sound. If you heard a better player I'm sure you would hear what I'm talking about.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I'm sure you are right. But excellent video with poor sound would not sell. It is certainly true that there is better sound available and most of it costs a lot more money. I'm sure the 205 has much better sound. But the 203 has very good sound, just not the best. I will never be able to afford the best...but I hope to have very good sound within my budget.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • F1nut
    Good sound from video isn't difficult to obtain, music is much harder. I wasn't talking about getting the best sound, just better. Heck, I can't afford the best either.

If you get the chance to demo a better SACD/CD player, do so.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Good sound from video isn't difficult to obtain, music is much harder. I wasn't talking about getting the best sound, just better. Heck, I can't afford the best either.

If you get the chance to demo a better SACD/CD player, do so.

I respect your opinion and advice and would love to do that if given a chance. If Skip does drive out to "finger wag" in my face, maybe I can talk him into bringing something for me to demo. :D
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited October 2018
    mark090852 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have to agree with Skip here. Considering your going to use Amazon and Pandora as your source, there is no point to the integrated. Leave her play those things on the receiver and maybe start a second system around the Mac.

I thought the OPPO had it's own apps for music anyway.....or am I thinking of something else ?
    I know the sound is not worthy of an amp like this, but my wife is worthy (to me) of an attempt on my part to make this happen.

Well, there goes my suggestion...I was thinking just divorce her, give her the Yamaha system and start from there, but never mind. I guess I'm a little more hard core in my addiction. :)
  • kharp1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have to agree with Skip here. Considering your going to use Amazon and Pandora as your source, there is no point to the integrated. Leave her play those things on the receiver and maybe start a second system around the Mac.

I thought the OPPO had it's own apps for music anyway.....or am I thinking of something else ?
    I know the sound is not worthy of an amp like this, but my wife is worthy (to me) of an attempt on my part to make this happen.

Well, there goes my suggestion...I was thinking just divorce her, give her the Yamaha system and start from there, but never mind. I guess I'm a little more hard core in my addiction. :)

Hmmm...duly noted and I'll have to give your idea some thought...

Seriously though, she is a keeper and indulges my hobbies without complaining. Cars, motorcycles, audio. She likes to participate in the excitement of new stuff. She even got her motorcycle license and her own bike and rode with me for a few years. Yesterday, when at the McIntosh dealer, she encouraged me to get the amp. She liked the looks of it enough to want it in our living room as a conversation piece. Never mind the great sound, or lack of great sound with Pandora, she loved the way it looked. Who was I to deny her? lol
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    That's a keeper!!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Sounds like you got yourself a fine woman my man!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. I think I am going to email @DSkip and see what options he might have for an audiophile grade streamer that I could connect to the McIntosh integrated. Then maybe a Tidal HiFi subscription.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. I think I am going to email @DSkip and see what options he might have for an audiophile grade streamer that I could connect to the McIntosh integrated. Then maybe a Tidal HiFi subscription.

Don't forget to budget in there a dac too, and associated cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable