CDR Machines?

I've got a DVR machine that records to a hard disk and allows for extensive editing so customized videos can be made. When finished the videos can be played from the hard disk or recorded to a disk and played on any DVD player. Is there a similar machine made for CD's. I've attempted internet searches but can't get past the typical re-recording of CD's. Nothing about building an ongoing collection of individual songs that can be edited by the song. I've done the MP3 player thing only to lose everything for various reasons. Mostly because the player died and the MP3 players don't offer the editing features the DVR machines have.

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2018
    It's called a computer. You can get software to "edit" digital recordings and use a computer. There were cdr recorders and they had some limited editing features. But not like the DVR you use.

What type of editing do you need to do to 2 channel audio recording? It's extremely hard to remix or remaster a 2 channel recording. You'd need access to the multi-track master to really do any remastering/remixing.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Without getting involved about why, I would need another computer. I did consider it though. For cd's, the editing I'm after is basic unlike what's available with the DVR. What I was hoping to find with a CDR is the ability to access different formats without downloading a bunch of additional programs. I spend a lot of time overseas and although CD formats don't vary as much as they do with video\DVD's there are some differences. With my DVR I have never been unable to get a foreign format to work. Other than a consistent volume, formatting is the extent of the editing I'm after.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I am not aware of there ever being a stand alone cdr recorder that can access/convert multiple formats. Maybe with the help/use of a computer and files being in the cloud.

You still haven't mentioned what "editing" you want to do. Maybe we each define editing differently. Formatting is formatting to me, not editing.

DVR's have different regions and those seem to be easy to crack. DVD and cd audio are completely different animals.

Maybe a small lap top would suffice.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • A separate computer is probably the route I'll be going. I'm on some corporate networks that limits what I can do on my current computers. For example, most of what gets downloaded to this site just shows up as a red X.

Sorry, thought I explained the editing. For CD's, other than a consistent volume so a recording doesn't go from barely heard to breaking eardrums all I'm after is format editing.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    could it be that your DVR does not work on foreign stuff because it is set up for NTSC/ATSC and not PAL that foreign markets use?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    could it be that your DVR does not work on foreign stuff because it is set up for NTSC/ATSC and not PAL that foreign markets use?

DVR works fine. I was asking about a CDR machine that has the same capabilities for CD's and music.