Speakers

I have 2 8ohm speakers my amp is 120wpc at 8 ohms and 200wpc at 4 how can I run my speakers at 4 ohms to get the real power I no if I hook up 4 speakers then it be 4ohms a channel.. Do I need a resister or some thing

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited October 2018
    You can't.

The power increase is related to the impedance decrease. There's nothing you can do with your current amplifier or speakers that will increase your volume level (assuming that's what you want to do). It doesn't really work that way.

What you could do, if you really wanted to, is to get another pair of speakers identical to the pair you have, and hook both sets in parallel to your amplifier. That would present a 4 ohm load to your loudspeaker, and could in theory add 3 dB of output (SPL) from your system. For most folks, a 3 dB level increase is barely audible. The lower impedance load would also increase the stress on your amplifier (which may or may not be a serious issue, but if nothing else probably means it will run hotter than with the higher impedance load -- all else being equal).

• mhardy6647
    This thread has some good discussion (and some bad discussion, too) on the topics of power, loudness, etc.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/183636/how-can-you-listen-to-anything-under-200-watt-per-chnl/p1

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    One also needs to remember that speakers are not a steady ohm value. That 8 ohm rating is nominal. Which means that it stays close to 8ohm. They could very well be as high as 12ohm and close to 4ohm in some frequencies. So in theory if you did get another set and do excatly as Doc Hardy suggest it could very well drop below 4ohm in certian frequencies and cause problems with your amp to put it in protection mode.

Food for thought
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ya'll are wasting your time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Justinthomas1977
    Justinthomas1977 Posts: 35
    edited October 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    I made this post for my 12 yeard old son he just bought a onkyo out of the box kind u no the ones that come allready with speakers it 100wpc each channel it a 6ohm per channel amp he just got some vision acoustic v900 8ohm speakers 260rms 100db sentsivty I just wanted to no. so is he fine wonder what power he is getting to each speaker now

• Woops is was 2 questions lol wow what the hell I do
  • pitdogg2
    Woops is was 2 questions lol wow what the hell I do

Well your language conversion system is kind of wonky.....
    Ok it sucks why beat around the bush.
  • Justinthomas1977
    edited October 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Woops is was 2 questions lol wow what the hell I do

Well your language conversion system is kind of wonky.....
    Ok it sucks why beat around the bush.

I made this post for my 12 yeard old son he just bought a onkyo out of the box kind u no the ones that come allready with speakers it 100wpc each channel it a 6ohm per channel amp he just got some vision acoustic v900 8ohm speakers 260rms 100db sentsivty I just wanted to no. so is he fine wonder what power he is getting to each speaker now......... Well can u answer this plz for my son
  • Justinthomas1977
    edited October 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You can't.

The power increase is related to the impedance decrease. There's nothing you can do with your current amplifier or speakers that will increase your volume level (assuming that's what you want to do). It doesn't really work that way.

What you could do, if you really wanted to, is to get another pair of speakers identical to the pair you have, and hook both sets in parallel to your amplifier. That would present a 4 ohm load to your loudspeaker, and could in theory add 3 dB of output (SPL) from your system. For most folks, a 3 dB level increase is barely audible. The lower impedance load would also increase the stress on your amplifier (which may or may not be a serious issue, but if nothing else probably means it will run hotter than with the higher impedance load -- all else being equal).

I thoght I read some where that u can put some thing in speaker like cap or crossover or resistor or some thing to trick amp in to thinking speaker is 4 ohms I never understanded it that good or maybe I can put one more driver in box to bring down ohms?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    ?????
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pitdogg2
    You can't.

I thoght I read some where that u can put some thing in speaker like cap or crossover or resistor or some thing to trick amp in to thinking speaker is 4 ohms I never understanded it that good or maybe I can put one more driver in box to bring down ohms?

This has been answered by us many many times dude. It is just ridiculous to keep repackaging your questions in multiple threads multiple times.

Maybe go chase google for fun!
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You can't.

This has been answered by us many many times dude. It is just ridiculous to keep repackaging your questions in multiple threads multiple times.

If u don't like it then don't reply no more internet tough guys wow
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    You can't.

We aren’t being internet tough guys. But you’ve asked this question about 10 times in ten different threads. You could look back in any one of those threads and have your answer.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2018
    You can't.

You could put a noninductive 8 ohm power resistor capable of handling 200 watts continuous* in parallel with your speakers, but all it would do is hasten the death of your power amplifier. It will have no beneficial effect on the sound quality or volume. It is all down side.

You can teach him a life lesson by doing it -- as long as he is on the hook for buying the replacement amplifier when the one he's using is immolated. If you paid for it, you'll be learning the life lesson.

Have fun.

F1nut wrote: »

True, but I am retired, so the relative cost is low (for me).
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2018
  • mlistens03 wrote: »
    You can't.

We aren’t being internet tough guys. But you’ve asked this question about 10 times in ten different threads. You could look back in any one of those threads and have your answer.

I just joined and I have 3 total threads
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    You can't.

I just joined and I have 3 total threads

Oops, I forgot that there was you and someone else. Sorry, I was thinking about someone else!
    Either way, your other threads do answer this question.
  • So can my son run his 8 ohm speakers on his 6 ohm reciver if yes then cool bye lol
  • mlistens03
    So can my son run his 8 ohm speakers on his 6 ohm reciver if yes then cool bye lol

Yes, 8 ohm speakers should be just fine on a 6 ohm receiver. If the impedance was lower, you could have issues, but going up rarely is a problem AFAIK.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Oops, I forgot that there was you and someone else. Sorry, I was thinking about someone else!
    Either way, your other threads do answer this question.

It seems that g7trader has a twin brother. :p
  • kennyj
    kennyj Posts: 6
    Justinthomas1977 - yes internet tough guys ... they did the Sam thing to me . Like they were born with the knowledge they have . NOPE!!!! You learned it . We are trying to do the same . Trolls every where.
    Good luck with you and your sons project .
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    kennyj wrote: »
    they did the Sam thing to me .

Sam says he did nothing to you.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Viking64 wrote: »

It seems that g7trader has a twin brother. :p

I don't even understand my own post. :o