Power

Answers

• I thoght by saying yes to all it would end post I want to leave group
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    They’ll sound better on the H&K, but not because of the power rating. The H&K is a better amp, designed for sound quality, whereas the pro amp is designed to be able to take lots of abuse, such as running at 100% power for extended periods of time.
    Take this advice from a guy who bought a pro amp, and is now stuck with it. :)

How much more crappy did they sound..? And how bout 300w to each with home amp but they wayyyyy more money

Oops, missed this, sorry. :)
    My Mission speakers sound pretty good with my Crown, and they sound crazy good with my Lafayette receiver. (Lafayette is rated at 22 watts.) Like said above, a few quality watts are better than lots of cheap watts. :)
  • Justinthomas1977
    Justinthomas1977 Posts: 35
    edited October 2018
    They’ll sound better on the H&K, but not because of the power rating. The H&K is a better amp, designed for sound quality, whereas the pro amp is designed to be able to take lots of abuse, such as running at 100% power for extended periods of time.

How much more crappy did they sound..? And how bout 300w to each with home amp but they wayyyyy more money

My Mission speakers sound pretty good with my Crown, and they sound crazy good with my Lafayette receiver. (Lafayette is rated at 22 watts.) Like said above, a few quality watts are better than lots of cheap watts. :)

I cant see u getting loud with 22 watts.. I'm just going to get a emotiva amp
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    HAHAHAHAHAHA Or a Bose Wave Radio.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662

Doc gets crackin with just a handful. If he can do it anyone can do it. :D
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mlistens03
    edited October 2018

My speakers are fairly efficient at 91 DB... which means that with 1 watt of power input, if you are sitting 1 meter away (usually), you get 91 decibels SPL.
    91 DB is more than enough for me, although others may feel differently...
    I personally would not turn it up above 100 DB, a because at that point, you’ll start doing damage to your hearing pretty quick.
    If you have a smartphone, you can download a decibel meter app, which will (relatively accurately) measure the SPL in your room. You can see what kind of volumes you are pushing.
    Also, the first watt is what makes the most sound. After that, for every time you multiply the number of watts by 10, it gets 3 DB louder (I think about twice as loud??). Meaning that at 10 watts, I’d be producing 94 DB, and at 100 watts, 97. After that, my speakers can’t take more, and my amp can’t produce more.(obviously.)
    Forgive me if I’m wrong on any of this. :)
    P.S. If you wanna talk efficient speakers, wait for Doc Hardy to comment (mhardy6647). IIRC, his amps are rated at 4 watts, but his speakers have a 105+DB efficiency. So, it gets loud, and QUICK.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited October 2018
    Justin, you need to get your learn on... That Lafayette, may be rated at "only" 22 watts, but it has headroom... and more than the crown (comparatively). So let's do the math: you have a pair of speakers rated at 90 dB/w/m. So at typical listening distance (calling it 9' for ease of math), the pair will net about 88 dB at the listening position. Given this, for every doubling of power, you net 3dB of gain. So, 2 watts comes to 91, 4 = 94, 8 = 97, 16 = 100. So as you can see, the Lafayette can only reach about 102 dB if you go with their rated power (this isn't true, but stick with me here). In order to double the output of the Lafayette, you need to gain another 10 dB (112 dB total output), the amp needs to put out approximately 210 Watts. Keep in mind, 102 db is loud, 112 dB is typical concert levels. This will also get the police called on you for disturbing the peace...

My point is: you don't need the power you think you need, and you don't use the power the amp is capable of except through transiants. And to answer the first question, going from a 120w amp to a 300w amp will only gain you 3.5dB... which is nothing.
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Justin, you need to get your learn on... That Lafayette, may be rated at "only" 22 watts, but it has headroom... and more than the crown (comparatively). So let's do the math: you have a pair of speakers rated at 90 dB/w/m. So at typical listening distance (calling it 9' for ease of math), the pair will net about 88 dB at the listening position. Given this, for every doubling of power, you net 3dB of gain. So, 2 watts comes to 91, 4 = 94, 8 = 97, 16 = 100. So as you can see, the Lafayette can only reach about 102 dB if you go with their rated power (this isn't true, but stick with me here). In order to double the output of the Lafayette, you need to gain another 10 dB (112 dB total output), the amp needs to put out approximately 210 Watts. Keep in mind, 102 db is loud, 112 dB is typical concert levels. This will also get the police called on you for disturbing the peace...

My point is: you don't need the power you think you need, and you don't use the power the amp is capable of except through transiants.

Yep, I was wrong in my above post. :lol: sorry.
  • FestYboy wrote: »

My point is: you don't need the power you think you need, and you don't use the power the amp is capable of except through transiants. And to answer the first question, going from a 120w amp to a 300w amp will only gain you 3.5dB... which is nothing.

So my amps puts out 120wpc I listin all most full blast and my speakers are 91db sensitivity so I wonder how loud I'm at now
  • mlistens03 wrote: »

My speakers are fairly efficient at 91 DB... which means that with 1 watt of power input, if you are sitting 1 meter away (usually), you get 91 decibels SPL.
    I personally would not turn it up above 100 DB, a because at that point, you’ll start doing damage to your hearing pretty quick.
    If you have a smartphone, you can download a decibel meter app, which will (relatively accurately) measure the SPL in your room. You can see what kind of volumes you are pushing.
    Also, the first watt is what makes the most sound. After that, for every time you multiply the number of watts by 10, it gets 3 DB louder (I think about twice as loud??). Meaning that at 10 watts, I’d be producing 94 DB, and at 100 watts, 97. After that, my speakers can’t take more, and my amp can’t produce more.(obviously.)
    P.S. If you wanna talk efficient speakers, wait for Doc Hardy to comment (mhardy6647). IIRC, his amps are rated at 4 watts, but his speakers have a 105+DB efficiency. So, it gets loud, and QUICK.

I have a 500$ spl meter but it for bass my car car got in to the 150s... DBz. The one u down load on phone how far do I stand frm speakers to test
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    When's the last time you had a hearing test from an audiologist?
  • mlistens03

I have a 500$ spl meter but it for bass my car car got in to the 150s... DBz. The one u down load on phone how far do I stand frm speakers to test

Sit wherever you would usually sit to see how loud it’ll be there.
    If your SPL meter for your car has a flat response, and you can get it out (AKA it’s not built into or powered by the car) it’ll almost certainly be better.
    150 DB!? Holy crud... that is VERY loud.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861

So my amps puts out 120wpc I listin all most full blast and my speakers are 91db sensitivity so I wonder how loud I'm at now

Approximately 110dB... At 9'
  • FestYboy wrote: »

Approximately 110dB... At 9'

Money it tight I wonder how this would sound and I don't want to have to rebuild it zzzskb0awlsy.jpg