How to connect 1 speaker in mono to amp?

How do i connect both channels of amp to one speaker in mono mode?

Is it red connector of both channels?

I have 3 yamaha P2201 power amps! Big 200 WPC!!

Answers

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    You want to combine BEFORE the amp stage. But this beggs the question as to WHY you'd want to matrix a stereo signal to mono...?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    FestYboy wrote: »
    You want to combine BEFORE the amp stage. But this beggs the question as to WHY you'd want to matrix a stereo signal to mono...?

I want to do it sometimes, because when you bring an orphaned speaker home (for instance, the $5 Acoustic Research PS series model I get yesterday), you wanna see how it sounds so that you can get an idea of what the pair would be like, and if it would be worth finding another orphan.
  • FestYboy wrote: »

I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-110 Speakers.

I have 3 Yamaha P2201 amps worth £700 each they are 200 watts per channel but if I combine the channels it will be 400 watt going to one speaker!

That leaves one spare amp that one will be connected to twin car subwoofers to take care of the bass.

How do i do 2 channels to one speaker is it red from one channel and black from other channel that i connect to the speaker?
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    If you connect a speaker to the L-R positives it is not mono. It is the difference signal you hear like on the SDA driver side. It will not sound like regular music.

Some people try and use a wye splitter run in reverse but that doesn't work well either. I forgot why (but it doesn't work). Google it.
  • I asked this on diyaudio the Yamaha P2201 cant be bridged until i do something to the input and something to do with putting it through a balancing transformer....

Info is here:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/live_sound/power-amps/p_series/2534/1861/Mono_Bridging_a_Stereo_Amplifier/?current_page_id=1&sort=&type=

I need help with this i dont know what a balancing transformer is or what to do with it.....
  • FestYboy
    Ok I see what you're doing, and in this case, you're trying to matrix a .1 signal out of a stereo feed. Again, you want to do this in the pre stage. Find the manual for the amp and typically what you'll see is that when the amp is switched to mono, the left channel input is used and both positive outputs are used to drive the speaker. Be warned: the minimum load impedance for the amp is DOUBLED from that of an individual channel when set to mono operation. So if your yammys are rated to 4 ohms per channel, in mono, it jumps to 8 ohms. With that said, make sure your subs re wired in series, NOT parallel.

I all reality, you're going about this backwards. Use one amp to drive your Pioneers, and use the other 2 amps to drive the subs individually in a stereo configuration. In either case, you want an active crossover in play.
  • That sounds like a good idea too 1 amp to 1 sub each.

If I do mono i think it goes to 16 ohm but most car subwoofers are 4 Ohm will this blow up my amp?

What is an active crossover? I can make speaker cross overs ....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    g7trader wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »

I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-110 Speakers.

I have 3 Yamaha P2201 amps worth £700 each they are 200 watts per channel but if I combine the channels it will be 400 watt going to one speaker!

That leaves one spare amp that one will be connected to twin car subwoofers to take care of the bass.

How do i do 2 channels to one speaker is it red from one channel and black from other channel that i connect to the speaker?

kvuki3scilm6.gif
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    4 ohms into a 16 ohm minimum load will cause the amp to go into protection, best case scenario. So that's not a good idea either.

Active crossovers are done in the pre stage, so you need a pre amp or processor that has sub outs. It's similar to car audio when running multiple amps.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Seems like a lot of trouble to go threw for cheap orphaned speakers. Just saying...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    tonyb wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of trouble to go threw for cheap orphaned speakers. Just saying...

Well, that's what I decided too. But, let's say you found a single LSi 7, or a single Polk Signature, and you wanted to see how it sounds before you go looking for a second?
    The Acoustic Research speaker wasn't a good example.
  • mlistens03 wrote: »

Well, that's what I decided too. But, let's say you found a single LSi 7, or a single Polk Signature, and you wanted to see how it sounds before you go looking for a second?

You can just put the balance knob to one channel on the pre amp.
  • tonyb
    That's why you make friends Micah. If you want to hear a pair, stop by a friends, go to an audio shop that may carry what you want to hear.

Finding a single speaker, and liking it means you have to then wait for another single speaker to pop up. That can take time. Much easier to buy pairs, and sell pairs should they not tickle your fancy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    g7trader wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »

You can just put the balance knob to one channel on the pre amp.

Huh... I don't know why I hadn't thought of that.
    That's why you make friends Micah. If you want to hear a pair, stop by a friends, go to an audio shop that may carry what you want to hear.

Finding a single speaker, and liking it means you have to then wait for another single speaker to pop up. That can take time. Much easier to buy pairs, and sell pairs should they not tickle your fancy.

Agreed, but you always have the "too good to be true" GW deal. I've found a lot of great speakers cheap there, but often there will only be one.
  • tonyb
    Which is why they are at GW to begin with. Try selling a single speaker....takes a looong time.

Balance knob is a good suggestion...if you have one. Even on a digital receiver you can adjust the balance in the menu.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's