speaking of Schiit

It appears that they've spiffed up -- or S/PDIF'd up, if you prefer B) -- their 99 dolla DAC. I figure this is either very interesting or very not interesting; I don't keep up with this stuff, so I am not really sure... but it seemed worthy of mention.

https://darko.audio/2018/09/schiit-introduce-modi-3-dac-still-us99/
http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Skip I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this latest iteration of their Modi DAC, especially knowing what you know now vs. then.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    DSkip said:

"Honestly even the Yggdrasil did not suck me in. It's a decent piece for the money but their gear follows more of the traditional hifi sound which is not what I pursue."

Skip, can you try to describe the sound that you pursue versus a traditional hifi sound?

Thanks
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • DSkip wrote: »
    machone wrote: »
    DSkip said:

"Honestly even the Yggdrasil did not suck me in. It's a decent piece for the money but their gear follows more of the traditional hifi sound which is not what I pursue."

Skip, can you try to describe the sound that you pursue versus a traditional hifi sound?

Thanks

For me traditional hifi is about pursuing the nth degree of detail at the expense of musicality. I prefer the opposite approach - musicality at the expense of detail. I've always erred to musicality when a choice had to be made as having something that captivates you rather than capturing your attention.

Schiit makes good gear. The models I've heard all lacked some of the life the music should have. The Yggdrasil is a great DAC but it didn't pull me into the music. Images were pinpoint not only in location, but in size. That doesn't engage me. A system needs to have soul and body to it and I've found these to be the missing components in every system I've heard with Schiit in it.

I'm a single-ended tube guy. That should explain quite well what I'm about. :smile:

Honestly, the industry is shaping up some though. Musicality and engagement is becoming more paramount for the big boys as chasing the details has about worn out its time.

I find it harder to achieve just that type of sound on a budget. It's what I am chasing and having to piece together one by one and it will take me some serious time to get it all where it needs to be. The fun is the chase though right?!

Soundstage, stereo separation and musicality is what I am looking to focus on.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Thanks Skip...

Detailed sound does catch my attention for a moment but musicality is what draws me into the music and keeps me listening.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    DSkip wrote: »

I'm a single-ended tube guy. That should explain quite well what I'm about. :smile:

You can “fix” this!

hys7z2c547yd.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire