New to this and quite confused.

Hello guys, as i said in the title, im new to this. Im pretty confused on the speaker configuration and crossovers setup in the reciever. Ive read a lot of ways and honestly im even more confused lol.

So my equipment:

Polk S60 Front
Polk S35 Center
Polk S20 Surrounds
Polk HTS 10 Sub

Denon AVR-x3400H

14 gauge speaker cables.

All of this is in my bedroom 18Wx15Lx10H

Any help would really be appreciated.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    S60's front left and right
    S35 center, in the middle of left and right fronts
    S20's rear left and right
    HTS 10 where it fits

Run the calibration program. Set the fronts, center and rears to small. Set the crossover to the sub at 80Hz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Those are nice mains and a LFE limited sub, and the AVR has pretty decent power driving relatively easy to drive speakers. So I would suggest trying @F1nut's suggestion, and then try setting the mains to large. That will take some strain off the subwoofer.

How big is the room? And is that a picture of your setup?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    then try setting the mains to large. That will take some strain off the subwoofer.

The sub is still going to reproduce the full LFE. The reason for setting the speakers to small is to take the strain of reproducing the low frequencies off the AVR.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Denon and Audyssey. Do what sir F1nut said, if it sounds a little hollow boost the sub by 3db. I went with 1.5 in two sections to find the sweet spot.

Main menu "Audio" turn sub level adjust to on the go up by 1.5db

Main menu "Speakers" level test tone add 1.5db to the sub there.

Do the above ONLY if it sounds hollow or bass lacking.

S60 do put out some bass so Audyssey takes away from the sub thinking the speakers will put that out. Going to small and C/O @ 80HZ some of the bass might be missing.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Plus the 2 large bass traps in the room aren't helping (doorways on either side of the tv)
  • Hey thanks a lot. I ran the calibration program, it calculated all the distances but the crossovers, for what i read before, went completly crazy. Im kinda lost in the speaker crossover section. Put them all as small speakers, but dont know which crossover setting tu put them on. I have the speaker locations as you told me to btw, my profile picture is my actual setup.

Thanks a lot.
    F1nut wrote: »
    HTS 10 where it fits

Run the calibration program. Set the fronts, center and rears to small. Set the crossover to the sub at 80Hz.

• jostomllo wrote: »
    Hey thanks a lot. I ran the calibration program, it calculated all the distances but the crossovers, for what i read before, went completly crazy. Im kinda lost in the speaker crossover section. Put them all as small speakers, but dont know which crossover setting tu put them on. I have the speaker locations as you told me to btw, my profile picture is my actual setup.

Thanks a lot.
    F1nut wrote: »
    HTS 10 where it fits

Looks great, I like them towers. It's a rather unique setup, I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    pZY3ADRAME0LZ.jpg

Any chance you could get your towers a little further apart, and also sitting on the ground instead of on tables? And the center channel closer to ear level?

Also, I wouldn't recommend putting an AVR in an enclosed cubby like that. They need at least 6-10" above them to breathe.

i wish i could, see, its on my bedroom, yeah crazy right? took the picture from my bed. Tried to angle the speakers the most i could to my listening position, which would be laying in my bed.

If i sit them on the floor id be killing the lower part of them cause the bed is like right in the middle.

On the avr, i agree with you, the thing is no more space, had to improvise that enclosed cubby, but its at least open back, ac on 100% of the time its on, thinking of putting a couple of fans in the back and on the side, like the ones used on old CPUs.

• rooftop59 wrote: »
    Those are nice mains and a LFE limited sub, and the AVR has pretty decent power driving relatively easy to drive speakers. So I would suggest trying @F1nut's suggestion, and then try setting the mains to large. That will take some strain off the subwoofer.

How big is the room? And is that a picture of your setup?

Hey thanks a lot. Yeah, its my setup in the picture. my room is aproximately 18Wx15Lx10H, maybe a bit larger, couple of more feet Long and wide.

Heres some pictures. (SORRY FOR THE MESS)

96tf2nz13xya.jpg
    ac8q2fbcf32y.jpg
    7dlx0fwvdj6e.jpg
    vdwtd7fwav54.jpg
    dh195k5vb4l5.jpg

• All you need is a fridge for some cold suds. That and maybe a bong or two. Cool layout
  • F1nut wrote: »
    then try setting the mains to large. That will take some strain off the subwoofer.

The sub is still going to reproduce the full LFE. The reason for setting the speakers to small is to take the strain of reproducing the low frequencies off the AVR.

Heres my main concern, usually where i get lost lol

kr6iz4px53vj.jpg
    mqi5xe1114e0.jpg
    tcvvlsznh10r.jpg

• LOOOOL. Fridge is at a 7 second walk from my room. No bongs tho, lol. Thanks a lot!!!
    krazypolk wrote: »
    All you need is a fridge for some cold suds. That and maybe a bong or two. Cool layout

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    jostomllo wrote: »
    If i sit them on the floor id be killing the lower part of them cause the bed is like right in the middle.

On the avr, i agree with you, the thing is no more space, had to improvise that enclosed cubby, but its at least open back, ac on 100% of the time its on, thinking of putting a couple of fans in the back and on the side, like the ones used on old CPUs.

Putting the towers on the floor would enhance their performance versus how they are basically "floating" right now. Once they can couple to the floor, they will sound better.

The fact that "bottom half" of the tower speaker would then be in front of your bed is a non-issue. Those are the woofers on the bottom, so it should not be very detrimental to have some of them firing and hitting the bed, as they'll mostly be doing low frequency work which is not super directional. Additionally, getting the towers lower will actually put their tweeter more at ear level if you are sitting on your bed, and that's what you want.

Yeah, fans might help. I would try to stick my hand in there on the top vent to see how hot it's getting now. Ideally you'd remove that cubby piece and get the center channel again lower down so that it's tweeter is more level with your ears from your listening position.

kr6iz4px53vj.jpg

For these, try 80 for the towers, 80 for center, 100-120 for the surround.

mqi5xe1114e0.jpg

I'm not super familiar with Denon's setup menus but for Subwoofer Mode, I would set that to just "LFE" if possible, and then leave the Low Pass Filter at 80hz. That means anything below 80hz will be sent to the subwoofer, and as we set above, anything above 80hz will be sent to the towers and center.

Other menu looks fine with the speakers set on small.

Disclaimer: It's been a while since I set up an AVR so my suggestions might be off. Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if necessary.
  • Clipdat wrote: »

Putting the towers on the floor would enhance their performance versus how they are basically "floating" right now. Once they can couple to the floor, they will sound better.

The fact that "bottom half" of the tower speaker would then be in front of your bed is a non-issue. Those are the woofers on the bottom, so it should not be very detrimental to have some of them firing and hitting the bed, as they'll mostly be doing low frequency work which is not super directional. Additionally, getting the towers lower will actually put their tweeter more at ear level if you are sitting on your bed, and that's what you want.

Yeah, fans might help. I would try to stick my hand in there on the top vent to see how hot it's getting now. Ideally you'd remove that cubby piece and get the center channel again lower down so that it's tweeter is more level with your ears from your listening position.

kr6iz4px53vj.jpg

For these, try 80 for the towers, 80 for center, 100-120 for the surround.

mqi5xe1114e0.jpg

I'm not super familiar with Denon's setup menus but for Subwoofer Mode, I would set that to just "LFE" if possible, and then leave the Low Pass Filter at 80hz. That means anything below 80hz will be sent to the subwoofer, and as we set above, anything above 80hz will be sent to the towers and center.

Other menu looks fine with the speakers set on small.

Disclaimer: It's been a while since I set up an AVR so my suggestions might be off. Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if necessary.

Thanks a lot. Im gonna try this. Ill try to incline a bit to the front the center channel, the thing with the tables is that im kinda low on space with the speakers. Under one of them is the sub, under the other one i have 2 apc ups (1500va) each. down here in Dominican Republic we get frequent power outages and just to keep it safe i got those. After that, i got no where else to put the speakers. the tables tho, i put rubber thingies in each leg to reduce vibrations and are custom made out of mahogany (pretty hard wood) just trying to get this fit in the small space i got. otherwise id have to put things in front of the doors. If the speakers werent so heavy to move id do it, but. Ill try and find a solution. Im usally laying down on my bed, maybe i can figure out how to safely incline the speakers and point them down to my hearing position. Its exactly what i did with the tv since its placed higher than where it should be, but its inclined perfectly to my viewing position. Again, thanks a lot for your help!!

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2018
    Setting to small and LFE+Main is good when set to small. LPF for LFE should be set to 120hz.

Bummer you can't move the sub like next to the desk.

I agree that AVR does get a tad warm.

Maybe rearrange the the room if possible?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • krazypolk wrote: »
    All you need is a fridge for some cold suds. That and maybe a bong or two. Cool layout

Did I mention I like beer?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOiyksNlrY0
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited September 2018
    I think your AVR will work with the Mult EQ editor app for your mobile device. If you got an extra $20 to burn, you might give it a try. Download the free HEOS and Denon Remote Control apps while ur at it.

Also, remember to turn off Dyn Vol and Dyn EQ at least for a little while to see how things sound without all the added compression. Another thing is that Dyn Vol has a tendency to kill off bass as it's intended to shaft the extreme lower and upper frequencies. Speaking of compression, turn off "restorer" too. It believe it defaults to level 1. What I'm saying is you might like the cleaner sound that you get as you approach pure direct conditions. Or, you can turn all of those loudness buttons back on if you like. Some people complain that the sound is "thin" without restorer this and dynamic that. But your ears will adapt to it and may even prefer it. The bass and treble knobs are unlocked when dyn eq and vol are off. I think they're accessible via the levels button on the remote.

Another thing is that hearing dialogue might be a problem. Instead of using dialogue expander, which on the 3400h is just boosting the center channel, turn off dyn eq and leave dyn vol on. That sometimes solves the problem. Also, I hope you were using at least the cardboard mic stand that comes with the unit for calibration. Just saying. Friend of mine has the X4400H. I know the UI inside and out. It can be a fun little avr since it's got those quad DSPs. Remember to update firmware, and also btw it has pre-outs for an amp.
    Post edited by sponger on
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • WOW!!! Amazing, thanks!!!

mrloren wrote: »
    Setting to small and LFE+Main is good when set to small. LPF for LFE should be set to 120hz.

mrloren wrote: »

• I BREATH BEER! Lol. Cheers mate!!!

• All off, awesome sound! Love it!!! Thanks!!
    sponger wrote: »
    I think your AVR will work with the Mult EQ editor app for your mobile device. If you got an extra $20 to burn, you might give it a try. Download the free HEOS and Denon Remote Control apps while ur at it.

Also, remember to turn off Dyn Vol and Dyn EQ at least for a little while to see how things sound without all the added compression. Another thing is that Dyn Vol has a tendency to kill off bass as it's intended to shaft the extreme lower and upper frequencies. Speaking of compression, turn off "restorer" too. It believe it defaults to level 1. What I'm saying is you might like the cleaner sound that you get as you approach pure direct conditions. Or, you can turn all of those loudness buttons back on if you like. Some people complain that the sound is "thin" without restorer this and dynamic that. But your ears will adapt to it and may even prefer it. The bass and treble knobs are unlocked when dyn eq and vol are off. I think they're accessible via the levels button on the remote.

Another thing is that hearing dialogue might be a problem. Instead of using dialogue expander, which on the 3400h is just boosting the center channel, turn off dyn eq and leave dyn vol on. That sometimes solves the problem. Also, I hope you were using at least the cardboard mic stand that comes with the unit for calibration. Just saying. Friend of mine has the X4400H. I know the UI inside and out. It can be a fun little avr since it's got those quad DSPs. Remember to update firmware, and also btw it has pre-outs for an amp.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    All off, awesome sound! Love it!!! Thanks!!

Glad to help, and happy to see that it worked out. But, at the same time I'm not surprised since the Sigs are a transparent and also sensitive speaker. It doesn't need all the processing additives to bring out the nuances that people spend thousands of dollars trying to hear. Hope you stick around the forum and share your experiences with your new 5.1 set-up.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Sure will, this is a great starting point. i still dont know what everything means or how it works, but from here ill start trying out different setups, if it works, perfect, if it doesnt i can always come back to this particular setup, sounds amazing!!!

thanks a lot!!!
    All off, awesome sound! Love it!!! Thanks!!

Glad to help, and happy to see that it worked out. But, at the same time I'm not surprised since the Sigs are a transparent and also sensitive speaker. It doesn't need all the processing additives to bring out the nuances that people spend thousands of dollars trying to hear. Hope you stick around the forum and share your experiences with your new 5.1 set-up.