McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp

Beautiful to look at! Wish I could get a listen to one.
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA252

ef0711uxi329.jpg
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2018
    I thought I've seen that number on older McIntosh amps.

It is purtty! I bet it does sound nice.

I like the Mc in the heat fins touch! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks cool, but for a SS power supply, seems a tad light, especially for what the asking price probably is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I found a few things interesting in the description.

First, this is intriguing to me, "...advanced high current output transistors. These transistors eliminate the typical amplifier warm-up time so that the MA252 is in peak operating condition from the moment it’s turned on."

This is the first I can recall of a manufacturer listing a feature like this as a potential benefit. It's amusing to me as someone who owns amps that don't start to sound their best until they've been playing for an hour are the bare minimum.

Personally, I don't really consider the "warm up" time to be a negative inconvenience. I think it adds character to my amps! But, I could see the attraction for a feature like this.

Secondly, they mention "An all analog design, it comes with 2 unbalanced, 1 balanced and 1 Moving Magnet phono input for turntables." - key word analog. But then later they go on to state "A powerful control microprocessor is used for smooth system operation..." - that sounds like a digital component to me.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Clipdat wrote: »

First, this is intriguing to me, "...advanced high current output transistors. These transistors eliminate the typical amplifier warm-up time so that the MA252 is in peak operating condition from the moment it’s turned on."

Do you see the conundrum there ? If the amplifier section is ready to go at an instant, what about the pre amp section, which has tubes ? Everyone who has tubes can tell you they sound better after a warm up time. So that feature is really....worthless.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Do you see the conundrum there ? If the amplifier section is ready to go at an instant, what about the pre amp section, which has tubes ? Everyone who has tubes can tell you they sound better after a warm up time. So that feature is really....worthless.

I think their point is that there is no waiting for the amplifier section. It is ready and waiting for when the tubes warm up. Apparently, that warmup doesn't take too long. Here's a video of a "first listening".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxdHMlJabyY
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Well, there was an MC-252

4n3xixmka293.png

And an MC-250

plquw35uejow.png

As to the cosmetics (of the new one): de gustibus non est disputandum.

My idea of a beautiful Mac, FWIW -- true beauty being more than skin deep:

g4bhs39qu2m6.png
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Maybe I was remembering that 250 or 225. :/

Thanks. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    There also some "B list" Mac amplifiers that seem to get little regard (i.e., sell cheap on the used market) but probably still ain't half bad.

this one comes to mind, e.g.,

rfevxsgvg0mr.png

(MC) 752.

An MC-752 is no MC-275 :p

There were also an "MA" series of solid state (and hybrid) integrated amplifiers.
    These, relative to my sonic tastes, at least, are generally pretty forgettable (at least at the prices they'll fetch on the current market).

l4whbi20qc6a.png

MA-6100 (e.g.) - all ss

9bywc5qtyg4j.png

MA-230 (hybrid)

(all borrowed photos -- there are a couple-three Mac pieces here, but none of them would really be relevant to this thread)

• That video quality is fantastic. Personally, never liked the green glow of tube Mac gear. I always enjoy the natural filament light.

Can't say I have heard any Mac gear but it isn't one on my wish list to get ears on...come to think of it there isn't a lot on that list...is someone going to take my Midiophile card?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member