Monitor 40 Identification Question

Hey Folks!

I have the opportunity to grab some Monitor 40's really cheap today. My issue? The sticker on the back of these particular speakers says "Monitor 40", not "Monitor 40 Series II". They are only a few years old, and when I do a google image search I definitely see what LOOK LIKE some Monitor 40 Series II's with the sticker that just says "Monitor 40". Are these older/different speakers? They obviously sound just fine. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Home Theater:
Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
Polk Monitor 70 Series II (Front)
Polk Monitor 15C (Center)
Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
LG 60" Plasma (6650)

Comments

• I just did a poll of eBay and definitely am finding "Monitor 40" models. Is this an older line? I thought the original "Monitor" line was VERY old, and these look modern.
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • Ok looks like I've found my answer, but feel free to correct me...

Monitor ran until about a decade ago, went away briefly and during that time TSi was it's successor, then Monitor Series II came out, then was replaced by Monitor #5*? No idea what the current iteration is, but...

In this case it went...

Monitor 40
    TSi200
    Monitor 40 Series II
    Monitor 45B
    ??

Am I on the mark here?
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited September 2018
    Yes the monitor 40 and 40 series two are almost identical. In fact I think the series two was designed exclusively for Newegg (Adorama seems to have taken their place as the online Polk liquidator of Choice) with only slight cosmetic changes.

The TSi series is a completely different series. Lies between the monitor and RTiA series.

The 45b is a slightly newer and different iteration, and was discontinued after a very short run.

In short, the speakers you are getting are fine and will match your current speakers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • They sound awesome. Too bad I just grabbed a set of RTi6 which sound better, so they'll end up moving upstairs...
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)