Hurricane's direction is looking bad for me.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Looks like 2:00am will be the first real test at Kure Beach, as eyewall will be getting close and high tide is ~1:30a. <gulp>

Dibs on SketchyCraig's best stuff!

I disabled signatures.
  • tonyp063 wrote: »
    I found this interesting.
    Nice use of effects to drive a point home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q01vSb_B1o0

But that would be if that road is at sea level right?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    Mikey, your avatar gives me the willies.
    Not the heebie-bee-gees (Sgt. Pepper soundtrack era), but close.
    I disabled signatures.
  • It's Hans Gruber while he was falling from Nakatomi tower
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044

But that would be if that road is at sea level right?

Yes.
    But I do know that the water in Oriental NC, for example, was less than1' below flood, and that's before the surge really hit.
    So lop off 3-ish feet of that 9.
    It's still going to be brutal. And then the rain will come, and have no place to drain.
  • msg
    It's Hans Gruber while he was falling from Nakatomi tower
    I know. And Hans MacGruber is(was) one of my favorite actors, but still.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Scott, you should make your avatar into the other MacGruber.

lcnkg39stnw9.jpg
  • Hermitism wrote: »

lcnkg39stnw9.jpg

And have him fall from the Fox Plaza.9mehfs1ijuw2.jpg
  • msg
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Brilliant! Heading to the store for fresh celery. In the Miata. I would be listening to Mister Mister on the Blaupunkt, but...
    https://youtu.be/Pb33LjJ9Uw4
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Tony, have we lost you?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hope y’all are hanging in there. Praying for ya.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Duke Energy predicted that 75% of it's customer base will lose power with this one. I don't know if this includes Progress Energy (since they own them too) but that's a very large area with just Duke.

The sheer amount of support personnel, linesman, Red Cross, supply trucks, the National Guard and the like in this area (Charlotte and surrounding areas) is incredible. Most have been staged for the past two days. All hotels are full, all temporary shelters are full and they keep opening up more. People are starting to open up their own homes to house some of the rescue and support personnel.

We watched the circular shape of the clouds move in yesterday afternoon along with a breeze. Last night, the wind was brisk. It's still dark right now and according to the news, the eye just hit land. Winds are stronger than I had thought they would be at this point but nothing (yet) to cause any damage. The first band of rain should hit us around 2:00pm today.

Locally, the threat of spin up tornadoes has increased two fold since we will be on the Northern sheer of the hurricane. These are nothing like the 'nader's in tornado alley (like F-3's and up) and they are stating that they will be short lived but that conditions are ripe for them. Cold is meeting hot right at the Northern edge of the storm and when you throw in the circulation of the storm? End result is the high potential for tornadoes.

Still, it looks like rain will be the biggest factor in damage in our area. Even though it's currently a Cat1, it is moving slow and the Northern band will basically cup right around Charlotte. We will get wind from 3 different directions as it's basically making a "U" turn around us, using Charlotte as the top of the "U". That's gonna be historic rain for us...which will result in flooding. Not like 9-10 feet of coastal flooding but enough to be a little more than a headache. The locals already know where the major flooding will be but there will be a few "surprises" for us, I'm sure.

360,000 currently without power. Home prep for me today, shop for last minute supplies and then time to hunker down for a couple of days. Let the fun begin!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The possible good news for you Tom is, maybe this storm will take care of those trees you wanted down. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    Probably will, Tony. LOL

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Landfall at Kure Beach was at low tide. No significant overwash reported. Pretty sure we lost a north side window about 2:00.

In town the gusts are decreasing. 6:30-7:30 we had 100+ gusts, lots of trees down around us but no hits. Lost power at 3ish but some neighbors still have pwr and ip. Our street and power runs north-south with the wind so we were largely spared. Gusts have settled to 60-80 now. A lot of rain but nothing remarkable for storm this size. No reports of significant flooding. Looks like areas to north got the worst of that. Definitely crawling compared to past storms.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Stay safe everyone!!!!
  • treitz3
    Hahaha....daggum thing isn't even here yet and we lost power.

Tom
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I’m in Asheville NC this morning and you could see the outter arm swirling off in the distance. I’m not looking forward to the weekend when it creeps west.
  • vcwatkins
    edited September 2018
    Backside gusts are pretty rough - guessing 60-80. We never got much calm in the eye, but here are a few shots. Just had a couple 100+.
    frzriiqpnzq9.jpeg
    0ud5tdkya59f.jpeg
    c95w4trivqen.jpeg

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • treitz3
    Yikes dude! How did your house fare?

Tom
  • msg
    Landfall at Kure Beach was at low tide. No significant overwash reported. Pretty sure we lost a north side window about 2:00.

In town the gusts are decreasing. 6:30-7:30 we had 100+ gusts, lots of trees down around us but no hits. Lost power at 3ish but some neighbors still have pwr and ip. Our street and power runs north-south with the wind so we were largely spared. Gusts have settled to 60-80 now. A lot of rain but nothing remarkable for storm this size. No reports of significant flooding. Looks like areas to north got the worst of that. Definitely crawling compared to past storms.

Yikes, Craig.
    Hopefully Florence keeps moving and doesn't pull a Sit 'n Spin on you guys, and that you're not too long without power. Can't really tell if it's overhead power where you are.

Those photos. We've had our share of hurricanes, tropicals and Nor'easters up in VB, but they've been relatively mild for the most part. Worst damage was when we had lots of rain over the weeks prior to a storm. Lots of pine and old oak in the area. Pine sheds easy, and when the oak goes, it goes big. Then there's the flooding. Mostly due to overload and/or drains and pipes clogged, not maintained.
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Glad everyone is OK so far....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • vcwatkins
    @Tony M , you okay?
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    c95w4trivqen.jpeg
    Gotta ask, does that ivy on the house have to be pruned weekly to look like that?

• vcwatkins
    That’s creaping fig on neighbor’s house. It’s a little easier to tame than common ivy, but, yeah, they have a guy, hehe.

Their garage was smashed by 2 more big oaks but they are miraculously still dry.