Should I swap rear Monitor 30's for RTi6?

So my current setup, as listed below, is Monitor 70 II's in front, Monitor 15C in the middle, and Monitor 30 II's in back. With a PSW110 sub.

I have a line, for short money, on a set of RTi6's. I've been meaning to start the upgrade process for Atmos (saving up for the tuner will take a while), and I fully intend to keep the 30's as side speakers or B channels or something, I really like their sound!

So - timbre matching is important for front/center, is it important for front/rear? I figure the increase in sound output - especially midbass - from Mon30's to RTi6 will more than make up for any loss in tonal equivalence. Am I wrong?

Feel free to enlighten me. I was an audiophile back in the day, but that day was 25 years ago. Today I'm a n00b again.
Home Theater:
Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
Polk Monitor 70 Series II (Front)
Polk Monitor 15C (Center)
Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
LG 60" Plasma (6650)

Comments

• Also, I am well aware that I probably ought to be running a CS2 or Monitor 25C instead of the 15C, but ... $$. CS2's aren't plentiful, and aren't cheap when you can find them. I didn't spend the $250 a CS2 would cost me on the rest of the speakers put together!
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • You are correct that timbre matching doesn't matter AS much for rear speakers. If the price is good grab them, as you said you are going to eventually upgrade so why not start now while you can get them at a good price.

Will it bring you the expected results and sonic qualities you need, don't know. Buy them and figure it out.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Yeah, they're... cheap. Cheap enough that even if I don't use them for that I'll still find a use for them!
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • Gurm42 wrote: »
    Yeah, they're... cheap. Cheap enough that even if I don't use them for that I'll still find a use for them!

I think you just answered your own question my friend. Stick around and let us know how they sound once you get them. Welcome by the way!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Buy them if you have another good use for them. They probably won't improve your HT performance, IMO.
  • Even more torn now, I can get Monitor 40's for the same money. While I know that people have the strong opinion that the RTi line in general outperforms the Monitor line, having the dual-driver matched rears wouldn't break my heart... ugh. Decisions decisions! Of course, I could always get BOTH, and then have a whole second surround setup for the upstairs... *evil*
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • I'm in with both for sure. You can never have too many speakers :)
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • So just for everyone's edification, here's what I did...

Front: Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Monitor 15C (yes, I know I should hunt down a C2 or Monitor 25C - that's on my list for a later date because... $$$)
    Sub: PSW10 (looking to update to PSW110 or PSW505 at some point, pending availability and $$$)
    Rear: I have Monitor 30 Series II, Monitor 40, and RTi6 now. At this point I'm leaning towards RTi6.

The second system will likely be:

Front: Monitor 40
    Center: The 15C when I upgrade to a C2 or 25C.
    Rear: Monitor 30 Series II
    Sub: PSW10 when I upgrade to a PSW110 or PSW505

So yeah, it's a disease and I've caught it.
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Gurm42 wrote: »
    So yeah, it's a disease and I've caught it.

Yes it is. But at least it’s better than syphilis...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Ok, I have to re-run calibration, but at the moment I think that the Monitor 40's win, at least for 5.1 music. I have to give the RTi6 a fair shot for gaming, but as far as a quick listen of some range-heavy music is concerned, the Monitor 40's are matched the best, so that the music sounds like it's coming from everywhere.
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)
  • Save up for better subs and thank us later...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Agree with ken, and even though it is true that your center channel is very important, if you grab a 12 incher from SVS or HSU you won’t worry about the center for a good long while... eventually you will want to replace it too but sub first will buy u time.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer