Monitor vs Signature, low bass and presence

Hi all, have monitor 40s and they are fine with my Klipsch sw-350 but there is a bass hole between 100hz and 200hz. It feels like there is a lack of presence and midbass to prop up the rest of the sound.

So my question, Signature s20 plus the sub, would that fill the midbass hole? My Klipsch sub is great 80hz down to 32hz where it falls off a cliff, but can't go higher without being directional.

If not the s20, is it worth the extra money for the s60 when using a sub? I want presence and full sound, and in a perfect world the s60 could help the Klipsch dig below 30hz, but my receiver is only 75w x 7 ch.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to get beyond freq charts because I don't think that paints the full picture (m40 plays a low note, but it's basically just fake-ish port boom)

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Placement can possibly solve your issue.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Placement can possibly solve your issue.

I concur with this.
    The signatures will, however, give you much better overall sound quality.
  • Zero flexibility with placement, room has forced me into the m40s right in the corner, with all the joyous boundary effects. Wish they were front ported, and tried plugs but no joy
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hmm...the s20s might help a little with the power port in the back. But I don’t see there being much difference as the overall frequency response is similar and both are rear ported. I think you just need to look for front ported speakers. Might have to go with a different brand unfortunately...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Yea I've struggled with the m40 freq response, on paper it can go down below 80hz, but in reality it just isn't there around the low-midbass point. My r50s in the same position do fill that sound, but lack the clarity on the high end the monitors have.

The s60 have a downfiring port, I'm not sure how that would behave in a corner? It would at least have the extra woofers to prop up the sound. But I don't want to spend extra for them if there won't be benefit with my sub carrying 60-80hz and below. Their specs say they reach 26hz so I guess I could run life + main on my Denon (I know I know faux pas) to help my sub extend lower

Or s50/s55 + sub and sort out 30hz and below with a new sub later on?
  • rooftop59
    I would suggest def tech pro monitor 800s or 1000s or the mythos two. Both can be purchase used on eBay. They both are passive radiator designs, and can mounted on the wall. They all will extend to 80 hz, with the 1000s and mythology twos going about 20hz lower. They also sound pretty sweet.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Maybe step back into the M series... The passive might fix it. Like a 5jr+ to keep close to the same footprint.
  • FestYboy wrote: »
    Maybe step back into the M series... The passive might fix it. Like a 5jr+ to keep close to the same footprint.

I was thinking just that. If you can find any used it may be your best bet, they do sound damn good too.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Appreciate the suggestions all, m series doesn't pass the waf test, and I hadn't considered switching to def tech as Polk is my comfort zone but I could branch out. Will research

The m40s are crossed at 80hz, at 90hz I can begin to localize my sub.

If anyone has an s20 would they be able to run a bass sweep and see how linear it is to 80hz?
  • rooftop59
    Someone else’s measurements won’t matter since you room and placement are the problem. You need something front ported or a passive radiator design.

I also started out with Polk and stuck with them awhile before branching out. I really like the def tech house sound. It is a little more forward and detailed than Polk but also punchy and dynamic. It’s a fun sound imo...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Hmm,

Sounds kind of like the problem i was having for a bit with my Marantz and Audyssey. I had a null between 60 to 140hz, Audyssey was dropping -10db or more in that range, system sounded hollow.

I solved this by putting a shop towel in the power port while calibrating with Audyssey. I did remove the towel after calibration.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music