Whats the best Intergrated Amp in the $300-$600 price range?

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    No need for an intergrated any more, I recently started using my Optonica-5105 and it sounds way better then the Denon (probably because it was an Avr) :). Way better bass response, wider sound stage, and almost no distortion.

As you mentioned THD previously and distortion above I don't believe you understand what is what. The THD rating for just about every piece of SS gear made since the 1960's is below 1%, which is the audible threshold. Without looking, I'd bet the THD rating for the AVR is less than the vintage receiver. Basically, the THD rating means nothing.

The distortion you heard from using the AVR is because you were overdriving the poor things weak power supply, which causes clipping, aka distortion.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Good answer Jesse. Unfortunately, $300-$600 will only buy a very basic power cable, certainly not an integrated amp. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BassFreak101
    Options
    Good answer, but that Avrs THD was like 1% , while the optonica has a 0.04 THD. Which audio wise made a huge difference. That line of optonica were known for having super low THD.
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • BassFreak101
    Options
    Anyways I got rid of the Denon , so lol its not a problem anymore. :)
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Good answer, but that Avrs THD was like 1% , while the optonica has a 0.04 THD. Which audio wise made a huge difference. That line of optonica were known for having super low THD.

You're still not getting the point. The THD rating had nothing to do with the distortion you were hearing.

BTW, the THD rating for the Denon AVR is 0.07%. If you think a 0.03% difference means anything, it doesn’t.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BassFreak101
    Options
    Ok, could you explain it a little better, because I always thought the THD played a big role.
    Thanks, Jace
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So F1 is correct in that it is not discernible. But, less is still better because if the total THD combined from the source, DAC, signal cable, speaker cable, and loudspeakers are over the threshold it will be audible.

But also keep in mind those amplifier thd numbers don’t really tell you much as they’re a product of the amount of watts the manufacturer wanted to publish. 100wpc @ .1 or 90wpc @ .019 for example.
    How it looks on paper depends the market they’re after.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited September 2018
    Options
    harmonic distortion is only one of a myriad of nonlinearities (inaccuracies) that can arise in ampliifers. Harmonic distortion is easy to measure. The onset of gross nonlinearity in an amplifier is the fundamental measure of clipping, and thus the usable power output of an amplifier. So, THD is a valuable "figure of merit" when it comes to amplifier design and objective testing...

If one looks at a graph of amplifier THD as a function of output power, the level goes up sharply as the clipping power output level is approached. The same amplifier, thus, could be rated by its manufacturer different ways, depending on the acceptable THD threshold. For example, an amplifier that has power output of, say, 50 watts at 0.05% THD might be capable of 65 watts at 0.3% THD or 100 watts at 1% THD. It's all the same amplifier!

but except at extreme levels and under some circumstances, THD doesn't really correlate terribly well with audio quality. The 1% figure @F1nut mentions has long been a widely accepted threshold. It's more complicated than that, in the sense that not all harmonic distortion sounds bad. If the harmonic is the so called second order harmonic of the fundamental tone, it is exactly one octave above the fundamental tone -- and will sound "good" ("euphonic" is the term of art). All even order harmonics are "euphonic" Ever hear, e.g., the guitar intro of the Rolling Stones' song Satisfaction? This is a seminal example of euphonic harmonic distortion.

From a "hifi" perspective, it is inaccurate, but it is not unpleasant. Most hifi amplifiers use a topology called "push-pull" amplification which, by design, cancels out even order harmonics. The THD spectrum of a push-pull amp will be enriched with odd-order harmonics, which are not perceived by our ears (brains) as musical -- thus we'll find odd-order HD objectionable at much lower levels than even order HD.

THD is relatively easy to lower using techniques including negative feedback (NFB). The cure,however, can be worse than the disease. High levels of poorly implemented NFB can introduce other kinds of distortion that are felt (by at least some folks) to be much more objectionable audibly than harmonic distortion. Such amplifiers can also be marginally unstable, and perform poorly -- even self-destruct! -- when connected to "challenging" loudspeaker loads.

Bottom line: There are many objective ways to measure the performance of an amplifier. Building an amp to measure well in one or more of those ways is like teaching to the test in education systems that measure progress with a standardized test. Kids who excel at the test may or may not be well educated by other criteria! :)

If the OP wants to know more about this stuff, just ask (or start googlin').

• BassFreak101
    Options
    Ok I understand better now, thank you so much for your help.
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    harmonic distortion is only one of a myriad of nonlinearities (inaccuracies) that can arise in ampliifers. Harmonic distortion is easy to measure. The onset of gross nonlinearity in an amplifier is the fundamental measure of clipping, and thus the usable power output of an amplifier. So, THD is a valuable "figure of merit" when it comes to amplifier design and objective testing...

If one looks at a graph of amplifier THD as a function of output power, the level goes up sharply as the clipping power output level is approached. The same amplifier, thus, could be rated by its manufacturer different ways, depending on the acceptable THD threshold. For example, an amplifier that has power output of, say, 50 watts at 0.05% THD might be capable of 65 watts at 0.3% THD or 100 watts at 1% THD. It's all the same amplifier!

but except at extreme levels and under some circumstances, THD doesn't really correlate terribly well with audio quality. The 1% figure @F1nut mentions has long been a widely accepted threshold. It's more complicated than that, in the sense that not all harmonic distortion sounds bad. If the harmonic is the so called second order harmonic of the fundamental tone, it is exactly one octave above the fundamental tone -- and will sound "good" ("euphonic" is the term of art). All even order harmonics are "euphonic" Ever hear, e.g., the guitar intro of the Rolling Stones' song Satisfaction? This is a seminal example of euphonic harmonic distortion.

From a "hifi" perspective, it is inaccurate, but it is not unpleasant. Most hifi amplifiers use a topology called "push-pull" amplification which, by design, cancels out even order harmonics. The THD spectrum of a push-pull amp will be enriched with odd-order harmonics, which are not perceived by our ears (brains) as musical -- thus we'll find odd-order HD objectionable at much lower levels than even order HD.

THD is relatively easy to lower using techniques including negative feedback (NFB). The cure,however, can be worse than the disease. High levels of poorly implemented NFB can introduce other kinds of distortion that are felt (by at least some folks) to be much more objectionable audibly than harmonic distortion. Such amplifiers can also be marginally unstable, and perform poorly -- even self-destruct! -- when connected to "challenging" loudspeaker loads.

Bottom line: There are many objective ways to measure the performance of an amplifier. Building an amp to measure well in one or more of those ways is like teaching to the test in education systems that measure progress with a standardized test. Kids who excel at the test may or may not be well educated by other criteria! :)

If the OP wants to know more about this stuff, just ask (or start googlin').

Thank You for taking the time to write this.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    De nada -- but it's just my usual doggerel :|

I do want to add that there's absolutely a place for rigorous testing and quantitative measurement in hifi. If nothing else, the quantitative tests are critical to the folks who design and build electronics! My perspective on objectivism when it comes to hifi audio is informed by the well-know quote ascribed to long-time HH Scott chief engineer Daniel von Recklinghausen:
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing."
    http://hhscott.com/vonrecklinghausen.htm

jjxybdiywa3l.png

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Musical Fidelity M2si $599

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/musical-fidelity-m2si-integrated-amplifier

Brand new. Your choice of black or silver. Ships free. This is a no brainer.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Upscale Audio has been on my **** list ever since they were rude to one of our own. (@stangman67 )
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    Musical Fidelity M2si $599

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/musical-fidelity-m2si-integrated-amplifier

Brand new. Your choice of black or silver. Ships free. This is a no brainer.

wow, that is a no brainer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Even with having to deal with a kevin deal, that is a damn good deal. I almost want to buy one just because
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Even with having to deal with a kevin deal, that is a damn good deal. I almost want to buy one just because

Hahah. You don't hold a grudge like I do. ;)
  • halo
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »

Tell you what,

You buy it, and I will hang on to it for ya free of charge. You can come to visit it any time you like. ;)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I agree that Mr. Upscale Audio is a first-class kazoo but, I'd buy it anyway because, I'd be making out like a bandit in that scenario.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I agree that Mr. Upscale Audio is a first-class kazoo but, I'd buy it anyway because, I'd be making out like a bandit in that scenario.

:(

9hs4xy1ysfgx.png
  • BassFreak101
    Options
    :D
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • halo
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

:(

9hs4xy1ysfgx.png

No pun intended. RIP Burt.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    Options
    speaking of Upscale Audio (which, umm, some of all of y'all recently were)...
    and, mind you, I offer this strictly as is and FWIW. No warranty, expressed or implied. YMMV. -- maybe even fake news -- but interesting.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/upscale-audio-weirdness.836803/

Even further disclaimer: I have no vested interest in the topic & I've had no -- ahem -- dealings with Upscale Audio myself.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    I dealt with Upscale Audio twice this spring/summer and had a good experience. Someone here posted a 40% off discount code for PS Audio products from their site. Thanks! I made one purchase for an AC5 1-meter power cord. They sent me an email a few days later letting me know that they were out of stock on the 1 meter cords and I could wait about two months and they would let me know when they were back in stock OR if it was okay with me, they would send me a 1.5 meter AC5 ($50 more than 1 meter) at no additional cost and they could ship it right away. I'll always welcome a little extra length! They shipped it out fast. New in box. I waited about five or six weeks and placed an order for a second AC5. I didn't expect the same deal since they knew that I already knew they were out of stock on the 1 meter cords. Again they offered me the same deal or I could have waited about three weeks for a 1 meter, so I ended up getting two AC5 1.5 meter cables for about 50% off regular price. Both times I dealt with Tamara, Order Processing Manager via email. That's my only experience with them. They shipped fast and both cables were packaged well.
  • BassFreak101
    Options
    What do you guys think about the NAD - D 3020 v2 Hybrid Digital Integrated Amplifier ?
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    If the price is good, go for it
  • BassFreak101
    Options
    Ok
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables
    Bic f12
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    What do you guys think about the NAD - D 3020 v2 Hybrid Digital Integrated Amplifier ?

If you want NAD, look for a c340 or higher. It has a real power supply and isn't the size of a paperback book.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123359824993

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/312231719744

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223130651389
    This one is Bluetooth enabled and class D
    And the lowest price I've seen in a while.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232904911709
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I have that one above and LOVE it. Tons of power!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/232904911709?ul_noapp=true
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BassFreak101
    Options
    Yeah I was kind of skeptical of it’s size.
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Random cables