Polk MagniFi MAX SR Bass Volume

Comments

• laelle
    laelle Posts: 100
    There was an update today when I connected to bluetooth but there was no changes to the sound... hmm...
  • laelle
    Hello again!

Is it me or since the last update, the sound of Movie and Sports mode has upgraded?

There seems to be more bass! It sounds incredible!
  • laelle
    Gosh... I didn’t sleep at all tonight, been listening to music all night long!

I’m hearing the music a way I’ve never heard before! Amazing!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    If you think that sounds good, imagine what a proper 2-channel rig sounds like.
    laelle wrote: »

• laelle
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If you think that sounds good, imagine what a proper 2-channel rig sounds like.

I guess... the only thing now is those weird sounds popping clicking or something...

And it seems like the rear surround speakers are not getting adjusted with bass volume??? Strange...

• laelle
    Also I didn’t want to start another thread but...

I was wondering about Dolby Atmos...

Does it somehow work with the Polk MagniFi MAX SR?

I mean, is there a difference when you listen to heights and such? Or is Dolby Atmos just a crossover to separate speakers, which I doubt is the case...

Surely there must be a noticeable difference even without separate speakers right???

Thank you!
  • laelle
    Thank you so much for the update!

Thanks for caring and putting out so much efforts into it!

I’ve tested the soundbar with an HDMI 2.0 enhanced television using arc and HDMI 2.1 cables and the sound is even better than before somehow... it’s really great!
  • laelle
    Wow what an update!

There is very little popping sound and dropouts left!

And the sound quality is amazing, much less grainy sound, it sounds so clear now! WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! I don’t know what you did there but it sounds stellar!

Congratulations!
  • laelle
    Seriously that has to be the most significant update I’ve ever seen...

The sound quality is just unbelievably better...

More mids make sound details pop a lot more with beautiful contrast ratio, I’m hearing things I never heard before...

Did you use dithering or something? I really wonder how you achieved something this close to perfection...
  • laelle
    Hello! I have tried to join the Preview Program in the Google Home app to get beta firmware updates but it still reads Off, like I’m not part of the preview program...

I’m using a iPad... is there anything I can do? I am very interested!

Thank you
  • Hello

I recently bought one of these and have noticed that bass control doesn't work when I use my kodi device called a vero 4k.

Kodi is set up to bitstream dd or dts via hdmi. The relevant light turns on when it receives the signal and the sound seems completely fine except I can't adjust the bass. So even on the lowest volume setting and lowest bass setting the whole room shakes. You would think at the lowest bass setting the sub effectively turns off. Turning the bass up doesn't have any affect either.

It does work as expected via netflix app on the TV.

Has anyone experienced this? Does it sound like I have a faulty unit?
  • laelle
    Honestly... since years of listening and listening to music...

It’s safe to say now after the last update that, I have never heard a sound system sound so freaking good!

This is hands down the best listening experience of my lifetime...

Pure magic to ears...
  • Clipdat
    If you think a soundbar sounds good, wait until you hear what a real HiFi 2-channel setup with good quality separates can do.
  • laelle
    edited August 2018
    I really have never seen a greater improvement in terms of sound such as what the devs have done here with the last update... they have added lower mids which have made everything sound darker...

And then they... I don’t know exactly what they did... but they added an incredible thing...

What before sounded grainy, now sounds dark and precise... I have never heard sound sound so good before... the definition that is now mastered, the clarity of it all is unbelievable...

It definitely brings tears to my eyes... this is to me the greatest accomplishment I have ever heard... it makes me happy to wake up everyday and be blessed by this transparent sound, movies sound big and clear, music sound clear and truly the way intended to be... I’ve heard producer divulgate this talk before but never knew what they meant by this, now I know...

Sound to me is the meaning of life with visuals... to have the ability to listen to sound this way is a miracle of life, a way to connect with nature and communicate with our aural sense...

What Polk gave us is a miracle... I can’t stress this enough how happy it makes me... I thought sound like this could only be dreamed of and not achieved through reality yet it is so!

Absolutely amazing... I really thank the development team for granting this gift to us, it’s a marvel
    Post edited by laelle on
  • Clipdat
    Like I said if you're getting that much enjoyment out of a sound bar, I'd love to see you hear what music is really capable of sounding like!

This would be you at an audio show:

tenor.gif
  • laelle
    Hahahah yes for sure! I watched a movie yesterday and there was a band playing music in the movie and I had to stop the movie because I thought there were people screaming outside my living room window! :D

It sounded so realistic it startled me
  • Clipdat
    I'm glad you are thoroughly enjoying your setup! :)
  • laelle
    edited August 2018
    Well said and yeah... the only thing I can think of that I don’t like is that my neighbors must hate me sometimes hahah...

I blame the walls! xP

I really hope you are enjoying sound as much as I do too!
  • laelle
    After testing both, it seems that Dolby surround is wider and lighter than DTS which is darker and tighter...!
  • laelle
    Seriously it sounds so good since the last update... I really personally dislike warm sound and prefer darker sounding bass extension instead and that’s exactly what has been done, so sweet!
  • laelle
    I have overheard from a couple of sources that the Xbox One (X) system sounds better than the PS4 Pro...

I will then buy the Xbox One X next month! I am very excited?

I’ll update with my thoughts on it next month!
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2018
    I have overheard from a couple of sources that the Xbox One (X) system sounds better than the PS4 Pro...

But earlier I told you a proper stereo setup would sound better than the soundbar, so does that mean you will buy a proper stereo setup?
  • laelle

But earlier I told you a proper stereo setup would sound better than the soundbar, so does that mean you will buy a proper stereo setup?

To tell you the truth I am very very happy with the MAX SR and can’t see myself going back from it hahahah...

I listen sometimes to closed enclosure earbuds Marley Uplift though and always end up retiring back to the MAX SR... especially now I really enjoy it without the sub at minus 5 bass and night mode activated, it sounds clean and deep to me... I cannot see what more could be improved in the MAX SR other than the dropouts and weird noises...

I mostly listen to nightcore, pop, metal and anything I throw at it sounds like magic to my ears! I couldn’t be happier...

But I stream music on Spotify, YouTube and if the sayings are true, the Xbox One X could further improve on sound quality which is simply amazing
  • Clipdat
    I'm glad you are having fun and enjoying yourself, that's what it's all about!
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    Absolutely... and you too! I really hope you have good times with your setup as well!

Personally, this month will be lotsa waiting... I’m still so bummed I got a PS4 Pro instead of an Xbox One hahahah plus I bought it exactly when the One X came out...

Seriously though I blame the darn promoting team!!!

They advertise all BUT sound!

4k at 60fps, 40% more processing power, enhanced visuals and blah...

But they never speak of that dedicated audio chip and how it’s (supposedly) rendering sound so good! (I’m a believer even if I never spent time with Xbox One before xP)

(Seriously coming from Microsoft I would expect sound to be good though...)

Sound is too important... sure I’d love to get that new Q900 from Samsung at 4000 nits (or the Vizio Quantum... 2000 nits) and ray tracing in games like in animated movies or CGs, but sound, God is it important... I know eARC and HDMI 2.1 things are coming for sound but really, I’m sure with the technology we have today we have the power to do great things sound wise if things are DONE RIGHT! Right?

Seriously though, on my tv, there is an option for HDMI called HDMI format and the choice between standard and enhanced... under picture settings! And it affects the sound too!

I wonder if when everything becomes HDMI 2.1 standard everything will sound better??? Or does it already??? Hmm...

Oh... but I just remembered something about Sony and maybe just found the culprit about the weak sound... it may be a Sony thing...

When the HT-Z9F came out, I was curious about the Sony Vertical Sound Engine so I tried it out just for the kicks... and I hate to put it down like that, but it was the weakest sounding thing I had ever heard, zero low frequencies with or without the Vertical sound on...

MAYBE that’s it, maybe sound is not Sony’s thing... oh well...
    Post edited by laelle on
  • laelle
    edited September 2018
    I'm glad you are having fun and enjoying yourself, that's what it's all about!

Yeah I am and I sure hope you too! But there is this one thing left...

Aww I wrote a big message but I think I accidentally deleted it hahahah!

Anyway yeah... to sum it up, I think Sony may not be the best soundwise since their HT-Z9F soundbar had like zero low frequencies lol... it sounded very weak...

Perhaps that’s why the Xbox One is better for audio?
  • Clipdat
    That was weird. I saw and read your long message but now it's gone.
  • laelle
    That was weird. I saw and read your long message but now it's gone.

Yeah... oh well, I was in the mood for writing lol xD

Honestly though I really hope the Xbox One X sounds really good!

I cross my fingers!
  • laelle
    Also what’s cool about the One X is dynamic HDR inclusion and VRR

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/12997/IMG_8655.jpg

Lol...