Home Theater Processor Recomendation

Beta
Beta Posts: 267
I could use some help. I'm not well versed when it comes to the HT side of our hobby.

I have a separate HT rig. It's a 5.1 system and I have no interest in adding more speakers. I have Polk in-wall LCi 265i mains, an LCi-C center and LCi 80 FX in-ceiling rears. I have a Parasound A21 driving the mains and an A31 driving with center and rears. Right now I am using a Denon 4310CI AVR as my processor. I'm not happy with the sound and I'm guessing the Denon could be my weak link in the chain. I realize the LCi's are 4 ohm speakers. However, the Parasounds theoretically should have no problem driving these speakers. However, I have to turn the volume on the Denon up fairly high to get to a desirable listening level when watching TV, sports etc.

So, I'd like to upgrade to a stand alone processor and ditch the Denon AVR. Any recommendations would be most appreciated. I prefer to purchase used or b-stock. Don't need the latest and greatest bells and whistles. Just a somewhat simple unit that will improve audio performance. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I would re-run the calibration before I did anything.

Look at Accessories4less for factory refurbished units. Yamaha and Marantz are my personal favorites
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Agree about re running calibration. I have a denon avr-x4200w and I love it. I previously had a Rotel RSP-1069 $2000 retail processor and honestly I like my denon and marantz better for movies. I will say that the Denon makes a few goofy choices with regard to speaker size and crossover, so check those numbers after you rerun.

I would consider a few other factors before "upgrading." Have you upgraded the power cables on the amps and receiver? It will make a difference, and they don't have to be megabuck.

Also, is that contractor grade wire running to the speakers? If so, I would consider changing it out if possible.

Finally, do you have a sub? A good sub will take a lot of pressure off those amps...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2018
    Yes, I agree, your Denon was a higher end unit when it came out, so unless it has issues it should not be hurting the performance as a preamp.

Is Audyssey on or off? Is Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ on or off? How close to Reference do you have turn to for normal listening? Check settings!

As far as having to turn the volume up to hear more detail, some AVR speaker combos work out that way. When I was running a big $2k Onkyo AVR unit mated with Chane speakers I had to turn the volume up more so than the LSiM set I had at the same time doing comparisons. The Chanes are known to soak up power and stay clean and composed. I could crank up the volume knob to reference level and they would not strain at all.

IMO, I think it would cost a lot to upgrade to something new and might not be worth it for a 5.1 setup. Do you plan to stay with older formats? or is the more recent Is 4K, HDCP 2.2 a need?

You could however, find a used Anthem, Yamaha, Integra, or Marantz pre/pro.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649442053-anthem-d2-audio-processor-with-arc1-mic-80000/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649450448-yamaha-cxa5000-112-preamplifier-in-excellent-condition-free-shipping-conus/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649386467-marantz-av-7005-preamp-excellent-condition-free-shipping-conus/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649422718-marantz-av7005/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649454560-integra-dhc-605/
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649397595-av-controller-dhc-605-integra-refurbished-unit/

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Have you considered a Parasound P7? It definitely does not have bells and whistles but is more analog than just about any home theater preamplifier out there now.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHAP7&variation=BLK
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited September 2018
    With Marantz' release of their newest 'king of the hill' pre-pro ... the 8805... you can find some deals on slightly used 8802a's (still 4K, HDCP2.2 with excellent HDAM op-amps for sound specs) in the ~1500 range. Depends on your budget, but you already have 2 HALO amps, good to stretch if you can to find a top-notch pre-pro.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    One company I would recommend to your given system especially after reading your needs is Integra. They are well built, sound excellent for theater and are very nicely dynamic. I think looking into Integra is the way to go man.
    http://www.integrahometheater.com/
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    Thank you all for the the reply’s. As always, the help that can be had here at CP is priceless.

When I installed this system back in 2010, I used 12 gauge wire. ICs are all Audioquest King Cobra. HDMI’s are all Audioquest as well. I have a 64 inch Samsung plasma. It was their top plasma back in 2010. I’ve been happy with it. As I may have said, I don’t pay much attention to the HT side of our hobby. I don’t really have the urge to upgrade my tv. I have an old a school Sony Blu Ray player. Audio when playing Blu Ray’s is really terrific. Audio while watching TV and sports is disappointing. Hence, my thinking to ditch the Denon if better audio can be had when watching tv and sports.

Would the unit in the link below be a decent upgrade?

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdhc803/integra-dhc-80.3-9.2-ch-thx-networking-a/v-preamp/processor/1.html

Or, maybe a Marantz 7702 or 7703?

Thank you again!

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It's all about the source when it comes to OTA audio, most mixes are intended for sound bars or built in speakers, not an HT system. Also, most mixers (people, not equipment) don't listen to the mix as a dynamic source and only watch the meters, and you can hear it.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Good luck with OTA audio signal. Cox cable is not that great with either of their boxes. I've tried coax, optical & HDMI. None came even close to DVD let alone Blu-Ray. Fox sports is decent for NFL and college games.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I got a Integra DTR70.6 just chillin if you would like to have on board amps. It's in near perfect shape and sounds awesome. Very dynamic and clean.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jayu969
    jayu969 Posts: 112
    Would recommend Anthem if you can find some used equipment as it is expensive new. I have had a few of their receivers and also a few of there processors. All very good...focus is on sound quality. Not as many "bells and whistles" as other brands.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Before you go off spending a good chunk of change on a new processor. Maybe first see what you can do to improve the sound with what you have.

Re-run the calibration, tweek things to your desire. Read the manual on the Denon if you haven't done so.

Cables can also play a part, and can also play a part with the volume issues. What cables are you using and interconnects ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited October 2018
    Do first what Tonyb (& others) said. Costs you time only.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2018
    Agree on the Anthem recommendation.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.