RT800i or RTi70

dscj99
dscj99 Posts: 6
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I currently have 500i surround and 4001 center channel along with a boston sub and Advent floor speakers. I am going to get new floor speakers and need to know if the RTi70 is voice matched for my other speakers like the 800i is. I can get the 800i for the same price as the RTI70 but I don't know what will sound better with my set up. If anybody has heard the 70 let me know what you think. Thanks
Post edited by dscj99 on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    i haven't heard the rti70, but the rt800i's will mate perfectly!
  • dscj99
    dscj99 Posts: 6
    edited April 2002
    I have gotten all of my Polk speakers at BrandNamez.com. The 800i are $594 for the pair with shipping. Does anybody know a cheaper place that is just as reliable?
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    they've dropped to $570 or so at my local CC a couple of times on weekend sales. might want to check yours out...
  • snookking
    snookking Posts: 18
    edited April 2002
    I thought the RTi70's are the replacement model for the 800's. They should voice match perfectly.
    If your not snook fishing, then your not fishing at all.
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    they are the replacements, but the tweeter has changed. i haven't heard the newer line yet, so i don't know by how much, but it will be a little different...
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited April 2002
    I actually heard the RTi70's at my local CC the other day. Unfortunately, they did not have a set of 800i's in the same room so I was not able to really AB them. As far as I could tell in a short amount of time, they were comparable to the 800i's. The tweeter is supposed to be a little smoother but I could not really tell in this environment. (You can never tell in any Circuit City environment!)

Rodney
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • rkrooney
    rkrooney Posts: 5
    edited April 2002
    I actually work at Circuit City selling home audio and I know both the 800Is and the I70s very well. The 800I is a great speaker and I think that you will find that it will voice match quite well with your set up. In addition, you should be able to find really good deals on the 800Is provided you can find them as the are being closed out as we speak - making room for the new I70s.

I got to listen to both the 800I and I70 side be side for about two weeks (we sold our last set of 800Is about a week ago) and have to say that Polk's claim to a smoother tweeter is dead on. We use super audio for our demos and the I70s did a great job reproducing both highs and lows. The I70s would voice match perfectly just as the 800Is but they will also give you a little bit better highs which will serve you well during the movie's soundtrack or even when you are just listening to two channel stereo.

For your purposes either set will provide great voice matching. If you find a great deal on a pair of 800Is grab them while you still can, but if you want a little bit better highs go for the I70s. I bought them myself and love them.