Dream Theater

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
So over the decades I've basically avoided them except a few cool songs as I always had trouble listening to an entire album.
Recently I have been re listening to them and found them to be amazingly interesting but I still have trouble getting through a full album without getting tired.
So if your a Dream Theater fan and could list some songs that a metal dude would dig that would be great. On a side note John is becoming one of my all time favorite Guitar player WOW is he good. he might be one of the very best to ever play guitar.

Here is my list so far

Pull me Under
As I Am
Endless Sacrifice
The Root Of All Evil
Moment Fo Petrayal
Metropolis, Pt. 1:The Miracle and the Sleeper
The Mirror
Lie
Puppies On Acid
The Dark Eternal Night
Our New Word
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I haven't listened to any of their newer stuff, like any of it (which I should do). However, I bought "A Change of Seasons" just for the title track, could've lived without the rest of it. "Awake" had some harder songs on it. The Mirror, Lie and Scarred were some good ones. I always thought this was an overlooked album, had some good tunes it. I like good melody's too though, not everyone's cup of tea...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Their live tracks are where it's at, Scenes From NY for example
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    From reading your usual posts, I would have bet cash money this was going to be about your personal "dream" theater... :p
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I really like their older stuff. I have not been able to get into them since Mike Portnoy left. You are on a good start, keep listening to their other tracks and move onto the Scenes and 6 Degrees albums.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    indyhawg wrote: »
    I really like their older stuff. I have not been able to get into them since Mike Portnoy left.

Here's my friend Richard onstage with Mike back in 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNw4nbG69s
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    What a nice surprise when I picked up this CD. Dream theater does Xanadu!

BTW Pull Me Under was the first song I heard from them, been a fan ever since.
    ewu5d7v9z5os.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    I took a listen to your favorites. You have most of the albums I would have recommendations from. I didn't see any from Six Degrees (SD) so I picked more from there. I am not really up to speed on their new stuff without Mike. The drumming just doesn't do it for me. I am also more of music fan of DT than lyrics.

Strange Deja Vu - Metropolis Pt. 2
    Perfect Strangers - A Change of Seasons
    Octavarium (about 12 min in)- Octavarium
    The Glass Prison - SD Disc1. (This one is a bit long)
    The Test That Stumped Them All - SD D2
    Solitary Shell (Its not heavy) - SD- D2

If you really likes John's guitar work, check out "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudes". It's pretty light though.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I’ve seen them 27 times so I’d call myself a fan. Scenes From a Memory is my favorite album of all time - interesting story, excellent music throughout, and I love how the story ends.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    From reading your usual posts, I would have bet cash money this was going to be about your personal "dream" theater... :p
    One of these days I'm gonna empty the Saving account and build it. I have a beautiful space in my basement which has a 9 foot ceiling.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.