RTi A7 speakers w/Sony STR-AV770X receiver

Hello, I just joined the forum & have a question.
After owning a pair of 10As since the late 70s early 80s I've decided to upgrade to RTi A7s.
Will these work with my Sony STR-AV770X receiver (110 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, 140 @ 4 ohms)? These will be the only speakers in the system.

Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    I wouldn't call that an upgrade. You should have upgraded the power. No AVR can give you the performance and sound quality of an integrated or separates.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Are these Monitor 10A's? If so, you are downgrading, not upgrading. Like F1 said, better power is what you need.
  • Bob_W
    Bob_W Posts: 5
    OK
    Well if this receiver won't work, what do you recommend. I do use the receiver for music, radio & records only, I don't use it for home theater.
  • mlistens03
    Bob_W wrote: »
    OK
    Well if this receiver won't work, what do you recommend. I do use the receiver for music, radio & records only, I don't use it for home theater.

Is buying used OK? if so, then I'd recommend looking for a vintage integrated amplifier. Look for names like Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz (although this option will probably be a bit overpriced, as they are very popular right now.) etc. You also want to make sure that you can listen to whatever receiver you choose, because older receivers like this could be broken. A lot of people here recommend restoring these receivers, but I've found that a lot of times, they'll work great without being restored. that's not to say that restoring vintage receivers isn't recommended, but often times, it doesn't actually need to be done. A full restoration will get you better sound, more reliability, and more, but if money is tight, then you could definitely get by without it.
    If you want to buy new, than I will hand off this discussion to someone else more familiar with current options.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    OK

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC316BEP
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Clipdat wrote: »
    OK

Perfect! Well rounded intergagraded amplimabooster.
  • Clipdat
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Perfect! Well rounded intergagraded amplimabooster.

I have the original 316 BEE, so I'm familiar with it's sound. Dynamic, punchy, impactful.

This new version has a built in phono preamp which was really the only thing mine was lacking. Seems like a good value.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited August 2018
    OK

I am guessing that will not be enough power to really make those woofers sing. I would think that you want at least 150 WPC from something like parasound, rotel, or B&K, all neutral to warmish amps. Look on ebay, used, and find an older two channel preamp to pair with it and that should help tame the bright end on those RTiAs.

Welcome to club polk!

edit: for example, something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amp-Pre-B-K-ST202-2-channel-2x150-watt-Amplifier-orig-box-Pro5-Preamp-Mint/223119079941?epid=110932036&hash=item33f2eefa05:g:ppwAAOSwKLxbXWWP
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    They are rated at 89db sensitivity, so I would politely argue that 40wpc would in fact make the "woofers sing", whatever that means.

The NAD also has some other interesting features that seem applicable and worth quoting:

"For short term peaks of 5 milliseconds, the C 316BEE V2’s undistorted peak power is >110W into 8 Ohms, 190W into 4 Ohms and 270W into 2 Ohms"

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If he likes and wants to keep his receiver, then he should get one of the Signature tower speakers, which would be much better since he only uses them for music.

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/signature-series

Check these out Bob, and welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Bob_W
    I'm confused, how is the NAD @ 40 watts enough power but the Sony @ 110 watts underpowered?
  • mlistens03
    I'm confused, how is the NAD @ 40 watts enough power but the Sony @ 110 watts underpowered?

watts arent what matters, what matters is current, and the Sony can't provide much current. The NAD, however, can provide plenty of current for your M10's.
    As has been said before, a few high quality watts are much better than a lot of cheap watts.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

"For short term peaks of 5 milliseconds, the C 316BEE V2’s undistorted peak power is >110W into 8 Ohms, 190W into 4 Ohms and 270W into 2 Ohms"

Yea I hate they keep preaching this stuff. 5 millseconds is well bullbutter. Music is very dynamic and not very short term when playing.

What you need to think about is high current. Sony's are anything but high current. The NAD is higher current but still not as high current as other amps.

High current takes a very well designed power supply. That in itself cost money. Simple put it should double or darned near it. 100 watts at 8 ohm 200 watts at 4 ohm so on and so on.
    Your speakers are fairly easy to drive at 89db but still it takes balls to control all those drivers. Most receivers are jacks of all trades and masters of none. There must be trade offs somewhere and it's in the power supply for most nit all but most.

My .02

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    OK

Then why buy a device designed specifically for home theater?

Throw out a budget range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited August 2018
    Those speakers (in cherry) are some of the prettiest I have seen from Polk, but I think you would be better off spending that money (and maybe a little more) to power your 10As with something else.

Those Sony receivers like you have sell for less than $100, and considering the features and spring-loaded speaker connections, sacrificing it would be in your best interest.
  • rooftop59
    F1nut wrote: »
    OK

Then why buy a device designed specifically for home theater?

Throw out a budget range.

Because that is what the average consumer is familiar with, and all most Best Buys carry (save a few cheap stereo receivers).

To the OP, if you are willing to buy used, you can get a lot more bang for your buck. If you are on a budget, something like this would work a lot better than your current receiver (again, its not all about watts): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-Stereo-Receiver-Pre-Amplifier-HK-3480-No-Remote-JH/283122115097?hash=item41eb64a219:g:JMIAAOSwetxbCKLU

Or this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotel-RX-1050-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver/283085122763?hash=item41e9302ccb:g:ZJkAAOSwfztbZKjM
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Bob_W
    F1 nut
    Originally, we used to use it for HT but over time & during my late wife's illness it kind of moved to using a soundbar for the TV & only music for the stereo.

I have a budget of about 500.00 for an amp & a receiver.

I wish there were some dedicated audio outlets in my area to talk to about this. BTW, I joined the forum after ordering the speakers (on sale) & they've shipped.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2018
    Ok, so the criteria is for music only, and a 500 buck budget for an amp and pre amp.

Not gonna happen on that budget.

That said, for music only, you've probably bought the wrong speakers. The RTI's stand for Reference theatre Improved, a HT speaker first and foremost. Meaning, they are a bit more forward sounding and a bit more bright up top. You've already bought them though, so no turning back now.

Doesn't mean you can't use them for music though, you just may want to find a receiver with a bit more warmth to it. Considering your budget, stick with a receiver. The RTI 7'S are fairly easy to drive but do shine even more with a good amp behind them.

Even with a receiver, a good one is going to cost way more than 500 bucks. Unless you buy used. Pioneer SC series, Marantz, Yamaha Avantage series are the ones that come to mind. Then decent speaker cables if you don't already have some.

2 channel receivers, like from Nad, already mentioned, would probably give you a better musical experience than the HT receivers, even the older models of Nad are good for your purpose. Hope that clarifies things a bit for you. Before we put the cart before the horse though, try the speakers with your current receiver first and see how you like the sound. You may not need anything else, depending.

Welcome to the forum btw, and please feel free to ask anything, preferably before you drop the coin on your next purchase. The guys here can help guide you to better spend your bucks and get the most for it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    Just to be clear: you CAN use your current receiver with the speakers. They just won't sound nearly as good as they are capable of sounding.

Your best bet is what's known as an integrated amplifier or a 2 channel receiver, like the two I linked above. Both are warmish sounding, have solid power, and should sound good with your speakers.

This would also be a good option. I have one and LOVE it. You could add an amp down the road if you feel like its lacking power, but it will sound so much better than the Sony that you might never feel the need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-Nova-Hybrid-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-Cherry/273431214381?epid=115197196&hash=item3fa9c5392d:g:y-wAAOSwqI5bcuLD

By the way, I think he is priced a little high. I recently got one on ebay - in the original box with all accessories - for just over $500 shipped after a little negotiation.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    A B&K amp would pair nicely with those speakers for music. I think that's doable on a $500 budget for amp & preamp. The best bang for you buck on a preamp would be an older 2 channel unit, or a slightly newer but "outdated" surround processor like the B&K Ref20 or 30. I use a Parasound PSP-1500 for 2 channel purposes. It's excellent, loaded with audiophile caps, etc. All of these can be had for less than $150 leaving you $350 for the amp.
  • Bob_W
    I'm actually looking for a receiver. After searching, I'm looking at Onkyo TX-8140 or Yamaha R-N303. I'm not a true audiophile, but still partial to Polk since I bought the 10As decades ago. I do like a decent sound for my albums.
  • rooftop59
    The onkyo weighs 18 pounds = tiny transformer = not any better than your Sony.

The yamaha is 16 pounds, same story, won't be an upgrade. Buy used, up the budget, or just keep what you have. imho...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I got my Marantz I still had RTi8, The Marantz warmed them up nice.

A4L has the SR5011 for $449 and the SR5012 for $499. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand_f[]=MARANTZ

These are HT AVR's with pre-outs. If down the road you want to expand to HT or add an amp you can.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    mrloren wrote: »
    When I got my Marantz I still had RTi8, The Marantz warmed them up nice.

A4L has the SR5011 for $449 and the SR5012 for $499. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand_f[]=MARANTZ

These are HT AVR's with pre-outs. If down the road you want to expand to HT or add an amp you can.

its not bad advice, but since he is only interested in two channel I would look for a solid integrated. for instance, my peachtree integrated didn't retail for a lot more than my Marantz, and while the marantz sounds good for music, the peachtree sounds SO much better. imho of course...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1