Adcom GFA 545

2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2018
    Just as an FYI, if you are hearing distortion or degradation, turn down immediately as by that time you can do damage pretty quickly.

The distortion lights are just a guide, but in my experience can be very helpful when you really want to rock out. I remember running my 1C's just at the level of when a kick drum would make the lights flash faintly. That was the maximum point I felt comfortable and a good rule of thumb. At that point it was loud.

Enjoy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Haha! Now that's some power!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    SO I was testing the DC offset on the speaker terminals last night (10mv each channel..yay) and when I reconnected my SDAs I blew a fuse in my left channel after turning the volume up but not loud at all. I checked my connections and stupidly had the polarity reversed on the amp terminals for the left channel, also my banana connection was a little lose and not fully seated into the terminal cup.

I got the 4A bussman fast blow that the manual indicated were the correct voltage and everything seemed well in the world after listening for an hour or so last night. My question is what caused this?! I know my bananas weren't touching and I can't imagine swapping the polarity at the amp level on one SDA might cause an issue.

I am back up running and happy just curious what I did to cause that issue. I try and be as careful as possible with the Adcom due to lack of speaker protection but you know after a drink or two while rushing can cause a minor lapse in concentration.

Secondary good news since I measured the DC offset I have no reason to disconnect the speakers again so instantly my chances of repeating the issue are slim.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    I believe if the SDA interconnect was connected, then the left channels positive output would have been connected to the amps ground through the interconnect. That would likely be the cause of your blown fuse.
  • codycatalist
    edited August 2018
    I did want to come and comment back after some more time with the Adcom.

Seriously, the quote from H9 on my signature resonates. I thought my Yammy sounded good enough for me but I guess people who don't know don't know that they don't know. In all seriousness sound stage is huge and the music feels like it has more weight and depth to it. I am more used to the sound of this amp now however some days I feel it can be a little bright for me. I'm not quite at 300 hours since I upgraded my crossover so I am used to good sound one day, meh the next.

Still battling room issues as I have a major image shift to the left (fixed with balance control). I am guessing it is due to the left speaker being on an inner wall and the right speaker is next to an outer wall, the different materials is messing with the imaging. Also need to put in some bass traps as I have a lull on lower bass notes that were there before the crossover upgrade and room change.

Are my speakers too big for my room...probably yes. Do I still enjoy these amazing speakers, for sure. Will I ever get rid of them, most likely not.

• codycatalist
    lightman1 wrote: »
    $27

Local pickup only!

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I believe that saying goes way back on Club Polk either from Jesse or George Grand or Doro (Mark) or Russman. It fits for sure.

Perhaps the brightness issues are due to the amp being good as discerning the differences in source material. Where in the past your amp might have glossed over it and everything sounded pretty much the same.

A good amp should be revealing and unfortunately poor source material sticks out like a sore thumb sometimes.

Glad you are enjoying it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    lightman1 wrote: »
    $27

Local pickup only!

Don't tempt him -- our Russ, he's peripatetic.
    And he's got a big truck.
    With a bucket on it.

:|

228ate5vg6i3.png