Polk Audio Customer Service is pretty awesome.

couple of weeks ago, I was tuning up my system getting ready for a weekend of EDM from Ultra Music Fest in Miami.

My system was sounding a little off so I started checking things out. Found issues with both of my Polk Audio DSW660 Pro Subs. The front row sub would not power on. And the sub in the back of the room wasn't making any noise, even though it was on.

The back sub gets its audio wirelessly from the wireless module. Since the front sub wouldn't power on, I pulled it out, and moved the back sub to the front, allowing me to hook it up with a cable. It made a very faint bit of noise. I had to turn the volume on that sub channel to +12 on the Denon 4520ci AVR to get it to do anything.

Back to the sub that wouldn't turn on. I bought these subs in late 2012 or early 2013. Thinking I had nothing to lose being that the amp was long out of warranty, I cracked the sub open and started inspecting the circuitry to see if it was something I could fix. Maybe a blown cap or a wire that had come loose. Here's what I found:

https://i.imgur.com/JCzthKU.jpg

As you can see, something got SUPER hot, failed and started to melt things.

I contacted Polk audio and ultimately reached one of the supervisors. I had also opened a ticket via email and sent them a copy of this picture. Long story short, they want this amp board back to inspect it and see why it failed.

Telling them about the second sub and its issues, I wondered if the 2nd sub is about to have the same problem. Since discovering the melt-down, I have removed the 2nd sub from service.

They want that board back as well.

For my troubles, they are sending me two new amplifier boards! And I didn't even have to ask.

It hasn't been fun watching TV with the subs offline. So I'm pretty excited to get the new amp boards in!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Glad to hear they took care of you.

I've contacted polks customer service off and on over the years. My experiences are usually positive
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk Savio and Steve! :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    @saviobarne welcome to the forum. I too have had superlative customer service experiences with Polk.

I too have a DSW660 Pro. Are you running the Polk wireless module or using a 3rd party (rocketfish, et.al) unit?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • I'm always leery of posts with a link from a first time poster. I ain't clicking on it....
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Good call Ken. I didn’t even notice it, hence didn’t click.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Good catch, I didn't see it either.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • There are only a few CSR that loves their job.
  • I clicked it, it is indeed a link to a picture of the burnt board. Nothing special or focused enough to get to the bigger picture of what failed.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • I clicked it, it is indeed a link to a picture of the burnt board. Nothing special or focused enough to get to the bigger picture of what failed.

I'm assuming you clicked the link in the OP. The one I mentioned was nuked.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I clicked it, it is indeed a link to a picture of the burnt board. Nothing special or focused enough to get to the bigger picture of what failed.

I'm assuming you clicked the link in the OP. The one I mentioned was nuked.

I wondered what you were referring to... I missed that.