Behringer-NX3000 amp

So I just placed an order for one. Should have it Wed. Anyone here use or heard one? Seems to have a ton of power.

3,000 watts bridged into 4ohm. But I will be using it bridged into 8 ohm for awhile until I finish a new box. It will drive two 10 inch CMMD Infinity drivers.

Also picked up a set of 4 Arurelex bass traps to finish off the room.

Amp can be seen here.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_937NX3000/Behringer-NX3000.html?search=nx3000&skipvs=T

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yet it weighs less than 8lbs....
    Color me skeptical.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2018
    Its the new version of the iNuke 3000DSP, which was used a lot by a lot of guys for subs. Its class D, but dont believe the specs.

Someone bench tested the 3000DSP somewhere, so I'd go by those numbers. This is just the next MUCH BETTER LOOKING version of that.

The main draw is that it's cheap (comparatively) and has programmable DSP (lots of guys love that) assuming you got the DSP model. If you DIDNT get the DSP model, return it and buy that version. Its worth a bit more and without it resale of the amp is significantly harder.

Keep in mind these dont have RCA inputs, only XLR, and only have speakon speaker connectors.

I'd just go ahead now and buy Noctua NF-8 fans to replace the stock ones as they are insanely loud stock.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2018
    Thanks guys. I have a lot of doubt that this amp will actually put out what it says. But im 100% sure it has a lot more power than the 90 watt NAD i have on the sub right now.

Yes, the price made it a no brainer.

And since i put my mains of bricks with isolation pads i have not used the sub for music at all. The bass really came alivebwith the acoustic treatments and decoupling the 12b's from the floor.

As for the connections, i also ordered speakon adaptors and xlr to rca adaptors. Hope i got the right stuff to make it all work.

Would 10 awg solid core romex be overkill to run between the amp and subs? I have about 25 ft left over from my dedicated equipment run to the fuse box.

I did not get the DSP because it was on back order till late September. Besides my Yamaha HTR has everything id need to fine tune the sub. Or so i think.

u0dz50s8py6w.jpg
  • CH46E
    edited August 2018
    If i have two subs sharing a sealed chamber is it ok to just hook each sub to its own channel on the behringer? Or should i keep them wired for one channel at 8ohms ?
  • EndersShadow
    CH46E wrote: »
    If i have two subs sharing a sealed chamber is it ok to just hook each sub to its own channel on the behringer?

Thats fine.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • CH46E
    Thanks Ender. I'm going to try it when the amp gets here on Wednesday. I have to wait for a 4-prong Speakon adaptor that i need for the bridged mode.
  • CH46E
    Its the new version of the iNuke 3000DSP, which was used a lot by a lot of guys for subs. Its class D, but dont believe the specs.

Someone bench tested the 3000DSP somewhere, so I'd go by those numbers. This is just the next MUCH BETTER LOOKING version of that.

The main draw is that it's cheap (comparatively) and has programmable DSP (lots of guys love that) assuming you got the DSP model. If you DIDNT get the DSP model, return it and buy that version. Its worth a bit more and without it resale of the amp is significantly harder.

Keep in mind these dont have RCA inputs, only XLR, and only have speakon speaker connectors.

I'd just go ahead now and buy Noctua NF-8 fans to replace the stock ones as they are insanely loud stock.

I have the amp now. And nope, they did not fix the noisy fans from the Inuke. These are very loud and obnoxious. May have to tuck it away in a closet until i get new fans. Not impressed with the build quality either. Ill be trying it out later on.
  • CH46E
    Tons of power. Never seen these CMMD drivers move so much without bottoming out. Amp seems to have a tight grip on cone movment. They are very loud and tight with this amp. No signs of running out of power.

But this FAN is so loud that my YPAO maxed out (+10 db) on nearly every channel in the room to compensate. I had to wrap the entire amp with a blanket while running YPAO. Even then, my channels were higher then before. Now they are only +4 db. Where ussually the mains are +/- 1db from flat.

Im wondering if im not going to really stress this amp hard as it was intended, could i just disconnect the fan. It has ample breathing room. No ither equipment near it and wide open. I could see a warranty problem though if i do that and it craps out. I guess same thing would apply if i changed the fan too. ???

This is my first time using Speakon connectors. I really like them. I may go that route when i rebuild the RTA12b's.

nau4j9f7tix2.jpg

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2018
    Maybe try one of the Crown "DriveCore" class D amplifiers with DSP?
    https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_families/xls-drivecore-2-series

qcvzp7t6xxwh.png

Cheap, but not bargain-basement cheap like the Behringer.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2018
    I have a drivecore and the fan is dead quiet. Not to mention, it never even comes on. Every now and then it spins up for 1 second and then shuts off again. Excellent amp and it has a low pass filter that helped me eliminate some weird noise. I found one on eBay and it has been awesome.
  • EndersShadow
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Maybe try one of the Crown "DriveCore" class D amplifiers with DSP?
    https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_families/xls-drivecore-2-series

qcvzp7t6xxwh.png

Cheap, but not bargain-basement cheap like the Behringer.

The fans are much more quiet, but the DSP is a wash on their units (compared to the DSP in the NX/iNuke DSP series).
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I have a drivecore and the fan is dead quiet. Not to mention, it never even comes on. Every now and then it spins up for 1 second and then shuts off again. Excellent amp and it has a low pass filter that helped me eliminate some weird noise. I found one on eBay and it has been awesome.

The Crowns are just as good if not better, but it comes down to price. I run 2 Crown XLS2000's and a Behringer EP4000 (got it for a price I couldn't pass up).
  • CH46E
    I almost did the Crown and right now i dont remember why i did not. I think it had to do with ohms and bridging.

Ill have to take another look. I alway thought people were beaing overly sensitive about the fan noise. Now i understand. It really is intrusive on the entire room. Something will have to be done.
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    3,000 watts bridged into 4ohm. But I will be using it bridged into 8 ohm for awhile until I finish a new box.
    I hope you’re using the channels on this thing instead of trying to run bridged. I can’t find a single piece of information suggesting it’s rated to 8 ohms bridged.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    alucididea wrote: »
    3,000 watts bridged into 4ohm. But I will be using it bridged into 8 ohm for awhile until I finish a new box.
    I hope you’re using the channels on this thing instead of trying to run bridged. I can’t find a single piece of information suggesting it’s rated to 8 ohms bridged.

8 bridged is easier on the amp than 4, so if it's rated for 4, 8 will be just fine. Now dropping to 2 ohms is a different story.
  • CH46E
    alucididea wrote: »

Its in the manual, 8 ohms bridged 1,500 watts. Can do 4 ohms bridged. No 2 ohm bridged but 2 ohm stereo is ok.

I also could not find that spec online but the manual does. I figured if it can do 4 bridged then 8 ohms would be no problem
  • CH46E
    Can i run a 4 ohm load on one channel and a 2 ohm on the other if needed?

It is rated for 2 ohm stereo. 4 ohm min for bridging.
  • EndersShadow
    Can i run a 4 ohm load on one channel and a 2 ohm on the other if needed?

It is rated for 2 ohm stereo. 4 ohm min for bridging.

Yes you can just be careful that the 2 ohm load doesn’t dip below that as your running at the edge of the amp that way. PS the wattage is over exaggerated by a bit on all their units.

Crowns specs are “closer” to real world but still a bit over exaggerated.

@ZLTFUL has a few iNukes and has done the fan swap. I heard one and it was almost silent from a few feet away. That’s not as good as the Crowns (I was cable managing behind my rack and couldn’t tell the fan was on until I looked at it), but WORLDS better than stock.

I would NOT run it without a fan. It will go pop quick as the heat sinks are super small and are small because of the assumption there will be adequate airflow.
  • CH46E
    edited August 2018
    Ok, i wait until i get a replacment fan.

I really cranked it up tonight and threw the subs a beating. I have to say im so impressed with this amps ability. Great combo with my Infinity sub drivers. Kick drum feels like its hitting me in the chest. I was playing Phil Collins I Don't Care Anymore. Wow. Bass is clear, fast and tight.
    Since i got the room treatments, bass traps and lifted the speakers off the floor ..... i cant even put into words with how happy i am with the sound in the room. Imaging is unreal and better than ever.

I feel like i finally have the sound ive wanted. Smiles from ear to ear. Even the wife was blown away. She had to get up and check the center channel. I told her it was not on! Lol

As a comparison, i did have my Parasound 2250 v2 bridged for 750 watts x1 on these subs. Sounded great but not nearly the authority as this amp. I know they are over rated but as it sits manual states 1,500 watts x1 @8ohms. So maybe im getting 1,000 to 1,100?
  • CH46E
    Put the Bass traps in today with some T-pins. Seems like they will hold up. It has helped clean up the bass.

I spreaded them out a bit. You guys think thats ok? I also put a few of my pyramid foam up just to try and help with higher frequency reflections.

1d8pvgytkbq7.jpg