Outlaw Audio Model 7220

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
If my B&K 200.7 ever needed to be replaced, this would certainly be a contender!

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7220.html

p5qmndbdu36y.jpg
pgrwkqfwcyy9.jpg
44z854rmqacx.jpg

Comments

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    I may try one of these out. Never had a separate amp before.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I wonder if it has a tendency to run hot.vj91a0r46kc3.jpg

only if the fans stop working.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Honestly its a super smart move. And bigger fans can rotate slower (which means quieter).

I'm guessing its a newer design from ATI (they make a lot of stuff for comapanies like Outlaw, Monoprice, etc).

Seems quite robust.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Holy Moly! That thing's massive!
    Also doubles as the powerplant for this RC F-4 Phantom

ezdkeptiw1r4.jpg

I disabled signatures.
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    .....and how much does it WEIGHT!!!!
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Fans!?! I'll never own an amp that uses fans......yuck
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited August 2018
    Normally, I’m with you there Jesse (although I do use a Crown amp to drive the dual subs in our HT). I thought this write up was on their website, but it was in the email I got from them:

The Model 7220: Our Most Advanced Amplifier yet

The new Model 7220 Amplifier is a class AB, fully balanced design. It delivers 220W per channel into an 8-ohm load with all seven channels driven. Into 4 ohms it delivers 330W per channel. The signal to noise ratio is greater than 125dB and often approaches 130dB. It operates with virtually no DC offset, runs cooler, and still maintains a class AB operation with two robust toroidal transformers.

Heat & Bias

One problem that amplifier designers encounter is thermal runaway, which impacts an amplifier's reliability and performance. Transistors are used as the output devices for audio amplifiers, and temperature directly affects the performance and operation of transistors. There have been a few different design philosophies for dealing with how the excess heat, and excess bias, negatively affect the lifespan and performance of output transistors. The Model 7220 uses ThermalTRAK® transistors, which employ an internal thermal sensing diode so that bias, and subsequently heat, are adjusted for in real time. This eliminates the thermal lag you often encounter in conventional designs.

Advanced Cooling

Traditionally, the Outlaws have been opposed to using fans for cooling. Active cooling, which utilizes a fan, works wonderfully in some pro audio applications –such as live venues and cinemas. However, in these situations the amplifier is never near the audience. We have always found that fans created too much noise to be used in smaller rooms and home theaters... until now.

The Model 7220 uses a hybrid system of cooling, utilizing both convection cooling, with cool air coming from below, as well as active cooling through the use of a state of the art fan. Having a hybrid system like this makes the design exponentially more efficient. This fan has a remarkably low noise floor and operates below 24dBA. In addition, the speed of the fan adjusts based upon the temperature of the heat sinks. This means when listening to quiet scenes, or quiet tracks, you're never listening to a fan instead of the audio content. With the heat sinks being constantly kept cool, these fans will normally be operating at their lower, quieter speed a majority of the time.

The Model 7220 effortlessly drives speakers with moderate power demands, but it is also fully capable of running systems that require significantly more power. For most of us, even with speaker upgrades, this will be the one home theater component that should remain constant in an industry of ever changing technology. We believe the Model 7220 delivers the best value we've ever offered in a high-performance amplifier.

For those that order the Model 7220 between now and August 5th, Outlaw's introductory offers* will save you hundreds! We invite you to audition this remarkable product where it counts the most, in your own home

Gumbay - it weighs in just shy of 100 lbs (93lbs)!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Anyone own one or an older Outlaw amp? How is the quality sound etc?
    Curious as amp selections for multi channel amps are becoming slimmer and slimmer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    I have a 5000 and it's never even gotten warm.

I like it a lot more than I like the matching preamp...it's pretty **** and a classic case of you get what you pay for (it was $300). The amp on the other hand has been great. It powers a full Lsi HT just fine. The Lsi could certainly use more power but it will get you goin for $600. It's only 5 channels though so I figured eventually I can get a 2 channel monster for the Lsi15 and then use the outlaw for center and 7.1 surround duty. It would certainly handle that with ease.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I have a 770, 7x200wpc. Currently being used to power surrounds & zone 2 speakers. At one time it powered all 7 channels of my system. It did/does a fine job. It's been a while since it was used for any critical listening, but I don't recall having any major complaints. There have been a couple 3 channel amps, Acurus A200x3, followed by an Aragon 8008x3 that have replaced it for the front three. Each was a clear upgrade over the previous, but not earth shattering. Tough to compare directly since overall, my system is at much higher level than the days when I used the Outlaw exclusively.