are there any decent freeware real time analyzers?

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
I'm not utterly averse to investing in proper software (and hardware) eventually -- but in the meantime I'd like to have some tool, even if crude, to look at frequency response in-room using an ostensibly calibrated microphone :)

No smartphone here :| -- so I am wondering if there is a safe, decent, relatively easy to use RTA/spectrum analyzer for (ahem) Windows 10 out there? Google turns up all kinds of things... but one is always a bit skeptical of 'as found' s/w downloads.

I figured if there were (or if there weren't!)folks here would know!

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Take a look at the REW (Room EQ Wizard) software. I think you can download it for free. Then pick up a USB mic and you will all set. I have been using it for the last year. Think I am in it for less than $100 with the mic. Provides a lot of functionality.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I didn't know REW was freeware/shareware; thanks!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    What are you doing? I've been thinking I should use something like this to help blend my sub with my bookshelves in my 2(.1)-channel setup. I have ears like Dumbo.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    The problem with these analyzers / DB meters is you are never sure if you are measuring your system or the limits of the microphone you are using.

Smartphones and most computer microphones are made for voice only. When you see that big drop in the low base and high treble is it really your system? Or a cheap non calibrated mic?
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    What are you doing? I've been thinking I should use something like this to help blend my sub with my bookshelves in my 2(.1)-channel setup. I have ears like Dumbo.

I am going to try active (analog) crossovers on the frankenaltecs. I have acquired a pair of
    EV XEQ-3 XOs from one of the Boston area gurus who used them as test mules while designing & building bespoke active crossovers for his loudspeakers (which, in some respects, resemble my Frankenaltecs in philosophy -- although more integrated in execution!).

67j61lr1tj0e.png

I was gonna hook 'em up and start playing around, and I realized that matching output levels by ear between bass and treble amplifiers was not a great idea.

For the record -- I have a cheap calibrated microphone :)
    One of these:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone--390-801